Game of Thrones Renewed!

Linda

I wish I could embed the Ren and Stimpy Happy Happy, Joy Joy song.

Wonderful news!! Lets hope this one gets picked up here in New Zealand and it actually airs within a month or so of the US air date!!

Great news. :) It will be very interesting to see how many episodes they will have to work with, as that will give us a better clue about what they will do for any S3.

Pretty sure HBO only want 10 episode seasons. But you never know, with the size of CoK, and if GoT has the popularity they might let them extend to 12.

The big hump though is how to fit books 3 and 4 into only 20 episodes, if HBO is inflexible about 10 episode seasons, and if they renew for seasons 3 and 4. I don't see them giving Season 3 a go ahead without also going for Season 4, or maybe that's just wishful thinking. It would be a big deal to option 2 seasons in one hit, even if CoK does well.

Squeee!

If they go for ten episodes, I hope D&D push for a two hour finale, so an eleven hour order.
That's not how HBO works (2 hour finales make sense when you're pushing for commercial time, and HBO doesn't care), and the limiting factor is the writers. Adding an extra hour to make 11 hours is as bad whether it's a 2-hour ep or it's 2 1-hour eps. And as far as HBO is concerned they'd much rather have 11 1-hour eps; it gives them a lot more time for scheduling and promotion and selling a DVD.

Hee hee hee, followed all the links to read the stories, and wound up reading an article which refers to us die-hard nitpicky fans as "GRRuMblers."

WE HAVE A NAME! Go us!

When it comes to not having a broadcaster or broadcast date for my country I'm the biggest GRRuMbler out. As to the content of the TV series I'm all good.

Here's an interview with GRRM where he suggests the following setup:

Season 1: Game of Throne

Season 2: Clash of Kings

Seasons 3-4: Storm of Swords

Seasons 5-8: Dance with Dragons/Feast for Crows (recombined)

Not gonna happen. At that pace, the series would take at least 10 and probably closer to 12 seasons. Bran and Arya would be in their mid 20s by then.

ASOS will be one season. AFFC and ADWD will probably be one long season combined. HBO is not going to do more than 6 or 7 seasons -- they never do.

Not gonna happen. At that pace, the series would take at least 10 and probably closer to 12 seasons. Bran and Arya would be in their mid 20s by then.

ASOS will be one season. AFFC and ADWD will probably be one long season combined. HBO is not going to do more than 6 or 7 seasons -- they never do.

They also never do fantasy, so this series must just be our collective imagination.

They also never do fantasy, so this series must just be our collective imagination.

Fantasy is a genre. HBO is known for genre television whether it's Western, Gangster or Horror. So yeah, 10-12 seasons is too much.

After the second season, HBO is going to make a lot of changes to the story in order to adapt the books into single seasons. You can bank on that. It will still be good.

Yes, because Carnivale never existed.

Anyway, flippancy aside - there are very good reasons not to do more than 6 or 7 seasons. Aside from expense, it's very hard to attract new viewers especially when the show is so dense. Keeping old ones works to a point, but only just; after a while they'll just wait for DVD releases. The biggest one is that keeping the same actors working on a project for more than 5 years is very, very hard. Especially when working with kids. Logistically some of it will just not work out.

I always pictured them ending after doing ASOS, honestly, and making it 4 seasons. The rest is just too tough. But we'll see.

Agreed. No way is it going to go down the way Martin laid out like that.

The best possible case I see is a full 7 seasons with seasons 3 and onward getting 12 episodes each. Its doable too, it would just take some rearranging of stuff; like moving some of aSoS Dany stuff into Season 2, moving the Greyjoys from aFfC into Season 3, but moving some of the later parts of aSoS into Season 4, recombining aFfC and aDwD and then splitting them chronologically (and trimming some of the extraneous sections down, like Brienne), and hoping and praying that books 6 and 7 have already been published and the series is done and that each can be a single season.

Most logic probably is ending it after aSoS, but I really hope that its a big enough hit that HBO decides to go all the way. (also if it ends after aSoS it has the thematic problem of "what was the point of Dany?")

After the second season, HBO is going to make a lot of changes to the story in order to adapt the books into single seasons. You can bank on that. It will still be good.
I think I'd rather see them do A Storm Of Swords as two seasons and end the series, then try to hack it down into 10 episodes.

Open question: Has HBO ever adapted anything like A Song of Ice and Fire before, that was a series of books with a definitive end point? This is a bit of a different animal than something where they are writing as they go, no?

Honestly asking the question, as I have no idea what the source material for Sopranos, Boardwalk Empire, etc was. I know True Blood was a book but the series sounds more like it was inspired by, rather than an adaptation of, the book(s).

Yes, because Carnivale never existed.
Carnivale isn't "Fantasy". "Fantasy" is swords, knights, armor, Middle-ages Europe, etc.

Mind you, I think it's a pretty stupid definition... but I'm not the one that makes these things up.

Here's an interview with GRRM where he suggests the following setup:

Season 1: Game of Throne

Season 2: Clash of Kings

Seasons 3-4: Storm of Swords

Seasons 5-8: Dance with Dragons/Feast for Crows (recombined)

The series won't last that long. Rome had 6 seasons planned, and ended up chopping off the last 2 and compressing seasons 2-4 into one.

If I had to plan based off of climaxes in the books:

Season 1: Game of Thrones

Season 2: Clash of Kings/Storm of Swords

Season 3: Storm of Swords

Season 4-5: Dance with Dragons/Feast for Crows

Just make the seasons longer...three more episodes a year would do wonders for compacting the story a bit.

Archived