A Clash Of Kings General Discussion *MAJOR SPOILERS*

DragonAge93

I finished ACoK this morning and I must say, what a great book!! There were several moments when I gasped out loud, I laughed, I cried, I yelled, "No way!!" My husband thinks I've lost my mind. (Maybe I have?!) I continue to be impressed with Tyrion and Arya. Theon's story was gripping and totally unexpected and, like another poster, I absolutely hate him. I hope Robb catches him and cuts off his head. (Or maybe he'll run afoul of Shagga who will cut off his manhood and feed it to a goat.) Dany is awesome, I do feel like her storyline stagnated a bit. However, that makes me think that everything she learned will be quite important later. My hatred of Cersei grew, while my feelings for Sansa softened a bit. She was just a great big brat in AGoT, but now I think she is growing up a bit. She needed to be seperated from her family to learn how important they are. Jon is great. I'm getting the feeling that he will do great things. Now, I am off to read ASoS, AFfC and hopefully be ready for ADWD in less that a week. (Do I really need to sleep?)

I loved a ACOK! I found it slightly flagging at parts, and thought it was very much in the shadow of AGOT but when things got going I was hooked. I loved the Theon storyline, watching him slowly fall into darkness, madness, then betrayal was brilliantly written. Jon's storyline seemed a bit slow at first (with the wandering to empty village, to another empty village) yet picked up towards the end with a fantastic finale! I loved Tyrion's sections and his struggle to do what Ned never could, only for him to be betrayed in the end.

Catelyn's descent into madness as she hears of Bran and Rickon's fate was a highlight, and it was heartwrenching to hear her inner thoughts as she struggled with the possible annihilation of her family. When the book was done I felt that it stood alongside AGOT instead of being in it's shadow.

I'm only in the 300s in ACoK, but I'm definitely reading more today after what you guys just said. Seems like it's only going to get better!

So in my last POVs, I read Tyrion's and Sansa's.

TYRION

I love reading what Tyrion is up to in King's Landing, and how he secretly has his own agenda. How when he was talking to Baelish, Pycelle, and Varys, he said "One, two, three". Don't know what it meant, maybe I read too quickly over the part where he explained it, but I can only assume he was referring to getting the Small Council on his side or something.

SANSA

Sansa's note surprised me. I was wondering who could have sent it, with my first guess being Sandor "The Hound" Clegane. I was nervously reading, because I didn't know if it was a setup to prove her loyalty or if someone really was trying to send her back to Winterfell. When I found it was Ser Dontos, I was confused, but then remembered she saved his life/ I hope this plan succeeds in a way, but something inside me (the GRRM warning of nothing ever turning out as planned) is saying it will fall through with Dontos being killed. Sandor was a little aggressive towards Sansa. Didn't know why, must have been the wine I guess, but he's usually the kinder one to her. Well, only time will tell where their relationship will go.

I've just finished CoK and thought I would share my thoughts on some of the (secondary) characters ... If you haven't finished Clash of Kings yet, don't read this!!

'The Hound'

The Hound is just such a brilliant character ... I loved the subtle hints throughout the book that he is not quite the monster most think him to be (or maybe that is just me reading between the lines .. I kind of got the impression that he has feelings for Sansa, even though he doesn't want to admit it to himself)

Renly Baratheon

Did not see that coming!!

Roose Bolton

I am a bit confused by this character .. is he on the side of the Starks or not? He seems quite sinister, and Arya clearly didn't trust him enough to reveal her secret, but Robb must have trusted him in order to give him charge of an army. And is his son acting under Roose's command/guidance? (I'm sure time will tell)

Cersei Lannister

I was a bit disappointed with Cersei in this book -- the great thing about the series so far is that, for the most part, characters are not "goodies" or "baddies". However, Cersei (& Joffrey) aren't big on redeemable qualities... although I think that, if we were to get her perspective it would be easier to relate to Cersei. I was kind of hoping that we'd see more of this in CoK, but perhaps that will come in SoS.

Rickon Stark

I have big hopes for Rickon Stark .. I could see him developing into a really interesting character -- abandoned by most of his family at 4, his mother off travelling Westeros when she should be caring for him, and now his home destroyed and he has been completely separated from all his family... I wouldn't be surprised if Rickon grows up resenting the rest of the Stark family and with his temperamental nature, who knows what he'll do.

Daenerys Targaryen

OK, Dany is a POV character, but she didn't really do much in CoK .. perhaps there was just so much going on in Westeros that advancing her story at the same time would have proved too much. She started of as a great character in GoT, but I got very bored of her in CoK - here's hoping she gets a return to form in SoS.

How have been your favourite secondary characters so far, and who do you hope to see more of in the rest of the story?

• 5 months later...

I've just finished A Clash of Kings biggrin.gif

I loved it from the start, even though I did find it a bit slow in parts, and I had to struggle to read every line word for word instead of trying to race through it as I normally do with books.

My thoughts so far:

I think that the Wall is going to be the most important character in a way of the whole series. The first book started with the Nights Watch beyond the Wall, so I have a feeling that it could end with the Wall as well.

I am fully convinced that Jon is not Ned Stark's son, but is Lyanna's son to Rhaegar, and I believe that Jon will prove to be a major character going further.

Favourite Main Characters:

Tyrion

Arya

Jon

I loved Dany in GOT, but not so much in COK, it just felt a little like she didn't 'do' anything for most of the book, hopefully though there'll be more from her in the next.

I also love the Hound. In an ironic way, he's the knight that Sansa dreams of - he's always tried to help her as much as he could, only she's too afraid of his scars and his reputation. I was hoping that she would go with him during the battle at Kings Landing.

Character I most wanted to hurt:

Theon Greyjoy. Didn't really like him from the start, but I hated him with a passion during this book.

Well I'm off to start SOSP1 now, I'm hoping that I won't get burned out by reading them all in quick succession!

totally agree with your words regarding Sansa and the Hound. I loved her from the start above arya and jon and probably the other siblings, but what made her become my fav. character was her relationship with Sandor. it is ironic he is the knight she always longed for, but it's for odd twists like that, that i find these books wonderful!

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished the THEON POV where he wakes to find the direwolves and Bran, Rickon, Osha, Hodor, and the Reeds gone. Very interesting chapter, and it shows that Theon can have a good side. I liked how he treated Bran and Rickon with care, but now that "he's angry", I'm afraid what he'll do when he finds them. I didn't really understand the brooch Reek had in the sack, but I guess it was evidence that they are at the mill. Looking forward to seeing where this story goes.

• 3 weeks later...

I loved Dany in GOT, but not so much in COK, it just felt a little like she didn't 'do' anything for most of the book, hopefully though there'll be more from her in the next.

I was also disappointed with Dany in A Clash of kings. I guess there isn't much she can do with newborn dragons for now. Her chapters felt like obligatory pauses between the other, interesting storylines.

I'am curently reading COK.I feel sorry for Crassen.He could not stop Mel and Stannis.Sansa,well I don't have much sympathy for her and never will.Arya has a hard road to follow.Tyrion's chapters are fun to read.I think he's gonna shock his sister and nephew.

I'am curently reading COK.I feel sorry for Crassen.He could not stop Mel and Stannis.Sansa,well I don't have much sympathy for her and never will.Arya has a hard road to follow.Tyrion's chapters are fun to read.I think he's gonna shock his sister and nephew.

You will.

Just finished my first reread.

I must say, Arya and Sansa are fantastic in this book.

And the interaction between Catelyn and Jaime is gold.

Also, ACOK was the start of my gradual, grudging liking for Cersei Lannister.

Just finished my first reread.

I must say, Arya and Sansa are fantastic in this book.

And the interaction between Catelyn and Jaime is gold.

Also, ACOK was the start of my gradual, grudging liking for Cersei Lannister.

Why so? You're the one percent.

Archived