[BOOK SPOILERS] Season 2 new characters

j52y

Dan and Dave mentioned that they won't be able to fit all of the new characters from A Clash of Kings, and on top of that, they still have to introduce the Tullys and some of Robb's bannermen that they omitted from the first book.

Here's a list of the new characters they'd have to introduce to be completely consistant with the books:

Edmure Tully

Blackfish

Hoster Tully

Roose Bolton and other Northern bannermen cut from the first season

Ramsey Snow/Reek

Jaqen H'ghar

Rorge

Biter

Vargo Hoat and other Brave Companions

The Tickler

Brienne Tarth

Lord Tarly and other lords loyal to Renly

Margery Tyrell

Big and little Walder Freys

Jojen Reed

Meera Reed

Wyman Manderly

Donella Manderly

Stannis Baratheon

Meilsandre

Davos Seaworth and his sons

Balon Greyjoy

Asha Greyjoy

Aeron Greyjoy

Victarion Greyjoy

Dolorous Edd Tollet

Qhorin Halfhand

Ygritte

Rattleshirt

Prolly five or more other Night's Watchmen who I don't feel like looking up

Pyat Pree

Xaro Xhoan Daxos

Quaithe

Strong Belwas

Craster and his wives

I'm sure I'm missing some as well. That's a huge amount of characters to add, so I see why Dan and Dave have to cut some. So, who do we think will get cut?

I wouldn't be surprised to see Rorge and Biter cut entirely, but I think it's more likely they'll be combined into one character. A lot of the Night's Watchmen most likely won't make it, but I see Quorin Halfhand to be necessary, and I really hope Dolorous Edd is included. The show needs more comic relief.

I could see the Tickler being combined with Vargo Hoat. The characters I'm most scared of is Jojen and Meera Reed. I could see them getting cut and just have Osha take their place, but I think it would be a big mistake to cut the Reeds.

Given that Rattleshirt doesn't pop up until the last chapter (of Jon's), they migh save him or season 3, or just cut him in general.

I've heard some people say that Davos will be cut, but I find that to be very unlikely. Though I could see his sons getting cut. I could also see Victarion being mentioned but never seen in season 2.

I could see the Tickler being combined with Vargo Hoat. The characters I'm most scared of is Jojen and Meera Reed. I could see them getting cut and just have Osha take their place, but I think it would be a big mistake to cut the Reeds.
I don't think you can cut the Reeds, as

once Bran and Rickon are split up, that really alters the story. Obviously we don't know what happens to them yet but I think it's going to be important that they are separated.

Also, one of Dave&Dan has already talked about how much they are looking forward to casting Davos, so I think it's safe to say he's going to be included.

All in all, they have an unenviable task ahead of them...

Wow, extensive list. Most likely cuts/reduced roles as I can tell are these:

Margery Tyrell - could easily be introduced in Season 3

Big and little Walder Freys - never liked them anyway. Completely unnecessary to the condensed TV plot.

Wyman Manderly

Donella Manderly

Davos Seaworth's sons (mention in passing, then maybe introduce one in the Blackwater battle sequence)

Victarion Greyjoy (cut at least one of the Greyjoys, maybe more. Focus needs to be on Theon and Asha as they are the ones who actually DO things)

These three guys could get really confusing to the viewer. I had a hard time keeping up with all of them in the book. Cut/combine.

-Pyat Pree

-Xaro Xhoan Daxos

-Quaithe

These three guys could get really confusing to the viewer. I had a hard time keeping up with all of them in the book. Cut/combine.

-Pyat Pree

-Xaro Xhoan Daxos

-Quaithe

I think those characters will actually be very easy to keep apart on screen. Quaithe's a woman in a mask, and PP has blue lips. They are going to stand out.

I think those characters will actually be very easy to keep apart on screen. Quaithe's a woman in a mask, and PP has blue lips. They are going to stand out.

I guess. They all started to blend together for me in the book. I found Dany's chapters in ACOK to be some of the weaker stuff from the first three books, so it may just be personal bias.

I don't think you can cut the Reeds, as

once Bran and Rickon are split up, that really alters the story. Obviously we don't know what happens to them yet but I think it's going to be important that they are separated.

Also, one of Dave&Dan has already talked about how much they are looking forward to casting Davos, so I think it's safe to say he's going to be included.

All in all, they have an unenviable task ahead of them...

I wouldn't be too surprised if they cut Jojen and just keep Meera, and give her the green dreams.

The various bannermen of both Robb and Renly can be condensed, although we definitely need Randyll Tarly (and if they slip a shot of him in a van into one of the Making Of features, it would make a lot of nerds very happy).

Since Robb isn't going to be off-screen like in the books, they'll need to cast Jeyne Westerling too, unless they have that plot take place at the start of season 3. Though that feel a bit odd since the catalyst for it is Bran and Rickon's "deaths," which take place in season 2.

Edmure Tully

Blackfish

Hoster Tully (dies offscreen)

Roose Bolton and other Northern bannermen cut from the first season (a few will be combined)

Ramsey Snow/Reek

Jaqen H'ghar

Rorge

Biter (combined with Rorge)

Vargo Hoat and other Brave Companions (Jaime needs to lose his hand somehow)

The Tickler (keep him for Arya. maybe moved to season 3)

Brienne Tarth

Lord Tarly and other lords loyal to Renly

Margery Tyrell

Big and little Walder Freys

Jojen Reed

Meera Reed (as of right now doesn't do a whole lot. Make Jojen a little more competent and he can be Bran's caretaker)

Wyman Manderly(I don't remember a whole lot of the Manderlys, so I'm going to cut them. Maybe show up later)

Donella Manderly

Stannis Baratheon

Melisandre

Davos Seaworth and his sons(just keep the eldest and the youngest)

Balon Greyjoy

Asha Greyjoy

Aeron Greyjoy (disposable and unpopular)

Victarion Greyjoy (moved to season 3/4)

Dolorous Edd Tollet (keep him for comic relief and adds to Jon's crew of friends)

Qhorin Halfhand

Ygritte

Rattleshirt (bit part in season 2, keep him to be Jon's wildling foe)

Prolly five or more other Night's Watchmen who I don't feel like looking up (combined)

Pyat Pree (this is the noble that tries to marry Dany, right? disposable part)

Xaro Xhoan Daxos (house of the dying adds some fantasy, foreshadowing, and backstory)

Quaithe (unless she really is Ashara)

Strong Belwas (Selmy can do all the fighting that Belwas does)

Pyat Pree was the Warlock. Xaro Xhoan Daxos the merchant prince.

Personally I think it would be a big mistake for them to not keep Rorge and Biter. Since they both add a interesting element to the series, not to mention Arya's arc in season 2.

They don't have to have very much screen time - they just have to be menacing and creepy.

I would also really love to see Rowan Atkinson play Vargo Hoat.

I forgot to include Craster and his wives (I'll edit them in). Cutting him would mean a big cut in Sam's future story, plus he's likely to be a one or two episode character at most, so I don't see them dropping him.

My take:

Edmure Tully

Blackfish

Hoster Tullydies offscreen

Roose Bolton and other Northern bannermen cut from the first seasonnot given time

Ramsey Snow/Reek

Jaqen H'ghar

Rorge

Biterentirely cut

Vargo Hoat and other Brave Companions

The TicklerSome are probably reduced in scope

Brienne Tarth

Lord Tarly and other lords loyal to RenlyTarly will likely be cut, recast in AFFC if needed.

Margery Tyrell

Big and little Walder FreysCut along with a lot of the northerners with Bran

Jojen Reed

Meera Reed

Wyman Manderly

Donella Manderlywhole part likely cut

Stannis Baratheon

Meilsandre

Davos Seaworth and his sonspossibly completely cut

Balon Greyjoy

Asha Greyjoy

Aeron Greyjoy

Victarion GreyjoyOf the Greyjoys, only Balon is necessary and barely. Asha is easier to do later when you can give her more screentime; casting her now when she has one or two eps max is really limiting. The others have even less.

Dolorous Edd Tollet

Qhorin Halfhand

Ygritte

Rattleshirt

Pyat Pree

Xaro Xhoan Daxos

QuaitheI have a feeling that a lot of Dany's story will be significantly reduced in scope and compressed to the point where we'll be getting some ASOS in ACOK with her

Strong Belwas

First of all, major spoiler for ADWD, which hasn't been released yet.

Second of all you don't need to cast Victarion NOW. You can wait until AFFC/ADWD or whatever they're going to call it. Same with Asha; you don't have to cut her completely, but you can certainly cut her out of Clash without an issue.

There's no need to completely cut Davos. Stannis needs someone to interact with, and without the POV structure Davos isn't much more than a minor character, one of Stannis' underlings.

Depending on what Brienne's future is in the series, I wonder if she might be cut. Then again, Jaime does need someone else to play off of in his "redemption."

QuaitheI have a feeling that a lot of Dany's story will be significantly reduced in scope and compressed to the point where we'll be getting some ASOS in ACOK with her

They do not have to reduce it much. She got only five chapters in ACOK, half of what she got in AGOT.

My take:

Pyat Pree

Xaro Xhoan Daxos

I doubt they cut these 3. They are made for TV (blue lips, exotic mask, fat weepy man), as is the House of the Undying. Also they could play up the similarities between Meilsandre and Quaithe to connect the 2 plots a bit.

They do not have to reduce it much. She got only five chapters in ACOK, half of what she got in AGOT.

I imagine they will cut out Qarth. It doesn't make sense to make sets and such for a location that isn't very important. They have other things that they would be better off spending money on.

I imagine they will cut out Qarth. It doesn't make sense to make sets and such for a location that isn't very important. They have other things that they would be better off spending money on.

Do you mean Vaes Tolorro, the ghost city she found? Because she spends the majority of the book in Quarth, and I'll be pretty mad if they cut the scene in the House of the Undying.

I didn't say cut Davos; I said cut his kids. Though cutting Davos is an interesting idea. He exists mostly for us to see Stannis and does little other than shield us from his thoughts, but on TV there's no need for that. We don't need to follow his story specifically. And while he's the impetus for Stannis going to the wall, he doesn't have to be (nor does he have to be a full character with 20 eps or whatever).

Same with cutting the Greyjoys. They don't have to all be there, at least not yet. We only need Balon for Theon. The greyjoys are especially problematic because they basically dont' show up at all in ASOS, meaning that if you cast Asha for ACOK she wouldn't get to play Asha for 2-4 years afterwards, which is hell for casting purposes and their jobs. It's especially tough if you want someone good. And at least in ACOK, we don't need Asha, or Victarion or Aeron.

Archived