why is [spoiler] having a pov?

Elrick

I won't mind finding out what Melisandre knows and what her motives are, but I just hope she keeps the same character she had as a non-PoV character. The biggest disappointment for me in a PoV was Asha. In Theon's PoV's she is such an interesting character, but once we get into her head she is boring and nothing like her old self. I just hope Melisandre remains the same enigma and interesting character.

Yet no spoiler Mel chapters I see... Ahh well I don't read spoiler chapters much anymore as I like to be surprised more or less. I for one actually liked Asha chapters and was disappointed to see not much of her in A Feast. Hopefully this will change in the next book and more will happen in her chapters. My feeling is we'll see more of her chapters or at least I hope so!

Anyway I suspect rather that we'll see more of Mel's reasoning of why she wants to sacrifice a child of course we know much of it but perhaps it will be more rationalized in her chapters. Who knows maybe she'll piss her self when she finds some are way more powerful than herself or that she gets burned alive. One can only hope.

Thanks for posting this spoiler in your topic. I hate being spoiled like this. rolleyes.gif I could see the topic from the main forum page as it is the most recently commented on. Thanks for nothing.

<div><br></div><div>add - thanks mod for the edit.</div>

It will be nice to read her POV and finally know if the assumptions made are right or totally wrong. I find the character fascinating but I deeply dislike priests and priestess: is like having a secret agenda is a part of them. I can't bring myself to trust or "think well" of Mel, don't ask me way. Fascinating as she is I still think she is not what she declares.

I really dislike what she is turning Stannis into, but I'm really in need of a re-read books not arriving yet, I could cry out loud for this).

It think it's about time we get to learn more about the magic aspect of this series. Mel would be the first "witch" to have a POV.

Also I have a feeling she might be one those POV's that die in the book they first have a POV in (i.e. Ned Stark, Arys Oakheart).

I am really looking forward to having a first hand glimpse into Melisandre's psyche. I have a feeling that it will be very intense, but hopefully spreading the information her viewpoint grants us over a few chapters should help to dilute this.

Like others have mentioned I think that Mel's PoV is one of the first steps that Martin is taking to ensure that the series will be finished in 7 books; another being having Varamyr as the Prologue PoV so that he can enlighten us on the warging abilities of the Stark children. I think she will have a number of chapters, not a huge number though, over the next 2 novels - but she will die before the final act.

For a character who is so certain in her actions it will be interesting to read her reaction when she realises she is wrong about AA.

I don't believe GRRM ever said that Melisandre as a POV would give too much away. He said that of Varys and Littlefinger, I believe, but not of her. Any cite for that?

Nope and you're probably right. I swear I remember reading it once before, but where, I couldn't tell you, and I could be either remembering it wrong, or remembering someone else saying it, not GRRM.

It'd be pretty cool if Melisandre had a Gandalf-like exit. If, after all we've distrusted her motives, she lays down her life to help someone (Jon? Stannis?) escape the Others, in an appropriately magic-heavy confrontation.

It would be real shocker, that for sure. Like Littlefinger sacrificing himself to protect Sweetrobin....

It'd be pretty cool if Melisandre had a Gandalf-like exit. If, after all we've distrusted her motives, she lays down her life to help someone (Jon? Stannis?) escape the Others, in an appropriately magic-heavy confrontation.

I would be stunned. If she were forgiving and magnanimous, would she have not spared Cressan? She might have made a convert. And probably have converted Davos, too. GRRM has certainly made Jaime more sympathetic. But Mel has been with us for a while; I am not sure a change in character would be believeable at this point. But that's just my opinion.

I am looking forward to what GRRM will write for her. Do we get background? A history of the Doom of Valaryia? On being a Red Priest according to Mel?

I agree with the posters above. Mel may move the story along. I am not sure where the book count stands now - I think it is still seven. Things need to start happening.

Melisandre could give us plenty of really interesting insights:

1. Memories of Asshai and the Shadowlands: Its landscape, its culture, its people. And, of course, its religious belief systems and its magical traditions. That alone would be enough to make Mel a POV.

2. Insight into Stannis' and Mel's relationship. What did she tell Stannis, and when. How are her feelings toward him, why does she think he is Azor Ahai. These things could not be discussed elsewhere, as the guys at the Wall have now much more important stuff to discuss than things which happened back in ACoK, especially as none of the Wall characters care much about Stannis' political agenda or Renly's fate.

3. Her motivations to do what she does: Why did she travel to Westeros in the first place? Why did she come? What does she want? And since when and why does she use real magic and fake magic interchangeably to accomplish her goal?

So I do honestly hope she is no longer an enigma when we are in her head. She can't be an enigma and a POV.

Melisandre could give us plenty of really interesting insights:

1. Memories of Asshai and the Shadowlands: Its landscape, its culture, its people. And, of course, its religious belief systems and its magical traditions. That alone would be enough to make Mel a POV.

2. Insight into Stannis' and Mel's relationship. What did she tell Stannis, and when. How are her feelings toward him, why does she think he is Azor Ahai. These things could not be discussed elsewhere, as the guys at the Wall have now much more important stuff to discuss than things which happened back in ACoK, especially as none of the Wall characters care much about Stannis' political agenda or Renly's fate.

3. Her motivations to do what she does: Why did she travel to Westeros in the first place? Why did she come? What does she want? And since when and why does she use real magic and fake magic interchangeably to accomplish her goal?

So I do honestly hope she is no longer an enigma when we are in her head. She can't be an enigma and a POV.

I think we become uncomfortable with change and given the lengthy wait on ADWD, we are ultra sensitive to other changes - such as characters other than those we want or anticipate having POV's. However, I am with Lord Varys on this one...there is much to learn from Melisandre (both good and bad) and isn't that true to Martin? We know little of Asshai - this is an opportunity to make some connections. Martin evokes a range of emotions from us, including disappointment (the loss of beloved characters); yet, doesn't he always, always keep us intrigued? Hands down, Melisandre is intriguing...I think her POV's will be incredibly important in the revelation of mysteries, and I do NOT like her.

Does anyone else find it absolutely asinine that 'Jon will "flee" the Wall'??? (a statement from above)

Does anyone else find it absolutely asinine that 'Jon will "flee" the Wall'??? (a statement from above)

I think the fact that Melisandre has a PoV suggests that she will not be in the presence of Jon for most of ADWD. While we certainly have had multiple PoV telling the same storyline (especially at the beginning of the series) I don't think there would be any reason to have multiple PoVs on the Wall. Whether that means Jon leaves the Wall or not, I am not sure, although I doubt it. I think it is more likely that Mel and Stannis will travel to the Nightfort and get all evil like the Night's King, while Jon remains at Castle Black.

I think the fact that Melisandre has a PoV suggests that she will not be in the presence of Jon for most of ADWD. While we certainly have had multiple PoV telling the same storyline (especially at the beginning of the series) I don't think there would be any reason to have multiple PoVs on the Wall. Whether that means Jon leaves the Wall or not, I am not sure, although I doubt it. I think it is more likely that Mel and Stannis will travel to the Nightfort and get all evil like the Night's King, while Jon remains at Castle Black.

My opinion is that Stannis and Mel are going to leave the wall all together and get involved with taking over Kings Landing.

Given what little we know from the spoiler chapters, I actually think the majority of the book is going to have them together. I think Stannis comes back to the Wall at the end.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived