NHL: Playoff Edition

BLU-RAY

And now the Hawks are going home down 3-2. Everyone keeps telling me how great Vancouver is, I hardly watched them all year so I'm probably lacking the respect for them that they deserve, but I honestly can't help but feel like Chicago has a legitimate shot at this now (knock on wood).

I likewise haven't seen much of Vancouver, but I agree, this is a very worrying development. Chicago played great hockey in the playoffs last year, and playoff hockey is a strange beast. Regular season dominance just doesn't matter near as much as it does in other sports.

It seemed as though the defense kept falling asleep as soon as the Habs got a lead. Sopel looking in his feet for the puck instead of taking his man. The 3 on 1 in OT, seriously? And not back checking to the slot to cover the 3rd man after the puck went behind the net. As soon as there was a 3-1 lead Martin makes them sit back and they don't get another shot for almost 10 minutes, what the fuck man, you have them on the ropes, don't go into a defensive shell when their goalie is looking shaky and their defense are backing up, keep the pressure on. If Martin would play them all the time like he did in the 3rd period of game 3 this series would be over, no question about it. Instead he tries to sit on the 1 or 2 goal lead which just leads to way too many chances, especially when even a single player gets out of position.

In Price's defense, the Ference goal was on a rolling puck, very hard to pick up. The first Ryder goal though he should have had, played with him for a couple years and it is the only spot Ryder ever shoots for.

So in the second round the Sharks will face either the Wings or the Hawks. I'm not sure I have a preference here. On the one hand, I want revenge against Chicago and they are the low seed, but Chicago would have some crazy mo if they pull it out. On the other hand, the Sharks have already had their revenge against Detroit, but when is Detroit (and a well rested Detroit) not intimidating?

Or they could always lay an egg or three against LA. But I doubt it.

So we're all in agreement that Luongo needs to sit out Game 6, right? That dude seemed a tad rattled in these last two games. I really have to question his ability to win the 'big games', despite him winning the gold for Canada (not saying much, given how stacked that team was, but I digress). I am glad that I am not much of a Vancouver fan, because I would be really pissed off at Luongo in particular right now.

So we're all in agreement that Luongo needs to sit out Game 6, right? That dude seemed a tad rattled in these last two games. I really have to question his ability to win the 'big games', despite him winning the gold for Canada (not saying much, given how stacked that team was, but I digress). I am glad that I am not much of a Vancouver fan, because I would be really pissed off at Luongo in particular right now.

I personally wouldn't be starting him, but I believe I read somewhere last night already that Vigneault said he was. And I've missed most of the last two games in that series, but has Bolland become the new Canuck-killer now that Byfuglien's gone?

Buffalo had an amazing OT win last night. The bar I was watching at was electrified by the final goal. But Jason Pominville is out for Game 6 after being cut in the lower leg by a skate. It was after he left the game that Philly began their comeback from a 3-0 Sabres lead, as if it was the weakness they needed. Losing him can't be good, and I think he may be out for multiple games.

I'm a Canucks fan, so naturally I'm upset with Luongo's play the last two games, and I have no confidence in him at the moment. That said, I think they have to stick with him. He's the franchise goalie, and if his head's on straight, he's the one that has the talent to take them all the way. He's their guy, for better or worse.

OMFG Bobby Ryan's goal for Anaheim in the third that put them up 2-1 was the prettiest goal I've seen all year. :stunned:

Yep, that was pretty. Legwand is still looking for his briefs. Fortunately, it was all for naught.

No Habs/Bruins commentary? I guess it is Saturday night, everybody out celebrating/drowning sorrows? That was a hell of a game, I actually feel bad for Price. He was great.

No Habs/Bruins commentary? I guess it is Saturday night, everybody out celebrating/drowning sorrows? That was a hell of a game, I actually feel bad for Price. He was great.

Very entertaining game, absolutely. And you're right; Price played very well. Of course, Thomas wasn't too shabby either.

Currently watching the Kings game. They got off to a 3-0 lead, but SJ just cut it to 3-1. Ugh, here we go again...

Sorrows are being drowned yes. I can't believe that game. The amount of close chances for both teams (esp the two open Boston nets that Boston players had to block shots in the crease for) was staggering for a 1-1 game. Goaltenders were simply lights out. I feel bad for my Habs. They have played quite well for the last three games but have lost each by a goal, not counting that one empty netter. This is probably the closest and most well matched series I've seen in years. Both teams play off each other perfectly so there is always tight play and no blowouts(Hello Vancouver), yet they still hate each other.

Also the reffing has been outstanding in this series for the most part. Sure they could be calling a lot more, and it would definitively help the Habs moreso than the Bruins, but we get great playoff intensity this way.

ETA - Yeah that Bobby Ryan goal was great, but who's dog was Weber fucking on that one? Sure it looks like your partner will handle it but some type of backchecking would be nice in the 3rd period of a close game

It hurt. Roenick was right: Cammalleri will be up all night over that opportunity missed.

Can't fault Price though.

Bah.

I want to be believe they can come back from this in Montreal.

What a bummer after the joy of the Caps winning earlier today.

Quick was massive. Singlehandedly won the Kings the game in the third period, against an average goalie the Sharks probably score two or three.

So the Bruins have come up big in overtime their last couple of games. Despite giving up quite a few goals in game four, both Thomas and Price were amazing into the second overtime of game five. Some unbelievable puck luck for Boston with goal stopping saves from Ryder and Chara that would have surely changed the outcome of this game. This series really changed at the start of game three when Boston was able to get the early lead instead of having Montreal on the scoreboard first. Game three was also when the Bruins started dumping the puck deep and winning the battles behind the net. And Chara seemed to have recovered from his illness. Boston was trying to often to carry the puck over the blue line in the first two games and now they are making the defence have to turn around to play the puck. It really feels like Montreal has lost a step in the last few games, allowing Boston a little more time to make passes and play a puck possession game. Game four was of vital importance because it let the Bruins know that they could come from behind against the shutdown game. The Habs are still creating a lot of turnovers, but they haven’t been able to capitalize as they did earlier in the series.

Momentum is clearly on Boston’s side, but they are about to face a Montreal team in desperation mode defending on their home ice. The rivalry between these two teams could get ugly quickly now that we are into the elimination games of this series. Boston has been doing well when Montreal is playing like a tired team, but I expect the Habs to be playing hard for all three periods of game six. The Bruins powerplay still hasn’t done anything and this could continue to be a problem against a heavy shot blocking team. Montreal is not out of this series by any means. They have both won two in a row and won in Boston’s rink already this series. Price still has the potential to steal this one away.

I started watching the Vancouver v. Chicago a little late and I have to say I’m a little surprised to see Schneider in net. With so much momentum on the Blackhawks side, switching to your backup goalie seems like a sign of weakness to me. Vancouver has shown playoff form for so long coming into the post season; it’s surprising to see this two game collapse from the Nucks. The Sedin line has them ahead going into the second though. Buffalo and Philadelphia are set up for the first game seven of this year’s playoffs.

There’s plenty of exciting playoff hockey left to go and we’ve already seem quite a few beauty goals. Somebody is going to have to come up with a ridiculous play to top that Ryan goal. So much great hockey going on in each game I watch around the league.

Archived