NHL: Playoff Edition

BLU-RAY

What a day of hockey (even though my playoff pool hopes are absolutely shot with the Ducks being eliminated...). The Sabres / Flyers game was back and forth terrific action, and so was the Nucks / Hawks game wow, are you kidding me? What a game. I can't believe that series is going to seven, unreal. I currently dislike the Canucks, so yeah... go Hawks! What a story that would make.

I have a chance to go to Game 7 in the Canucks/Hawks series, but I think I'll pass. I'm 99% sure my beloved Canucks will lose, and if that happens there will probably be a riot. I will instead watch both the game and the post-game riot from the comfort of my home.

I have a chance to go to Game 7 in the Canucks/Hawks series, but I think I'll pass. I'm 99% sure my beloved Canucks will lose, and if that happens there will probably be a riot. I will instead watch both the game and the post-game riot from the comfort of my home.

I think they'll lose too. On the flip side, if they can pull it out, maybe it can serve as the gut check moment that propels them all the way to the cup.

</wishful thinking>

I mean, that's definitely the case; he's their sniper, and the power play is the one time you can kind of cut loose on the one-timers and mid-range wrist shots.

Exciting game, but I have an ugly feeling that the Sharks could get smoked by Detroit next round. If Vancouver, loses, though, they get Chicago, which would be an interesting matchup, especially with the 'Hawks having logged so much icetime this round against the Canucks.

Oh, the loss of Kopitar was crippling, absolutely. I think any chance of them being a legitimate cup contender was pretty much lost when he went down. It was just frustrating to watch them look so inept on a 5-minute power play, followed by the Sharks scoring almost immediately afterwards.

Well, that's one of my two teams down--and with the way the Canucks have been playing, it's not looking too good for them either.

I'm far from an expert. Very casual fan. But I did enjoy the Sharks-Kings series. Three overtime games, including the impossible comeback. Fun stuff for someone who didn't pay attention all year. The Sharks are VERY talented. But you can't take yourself seriously for the Cup if you have no goalie.

Exciting game, but I have an ugly feeling that the Sharks could get smoked by Detroit next round. If Vancouver, loses, though, they get Chicago, which would be an interesting matchup, especially with the 'Hawks having logged so much icetime this round against the Canucks.

Possible storylines for the upcoming series for the Sharks:

Blackhawks: Niemi vs. Crawford. The Conference Finals in 2010 is the only time the Sharks and Hawks have met in the playoffs, and the Hawks swept that series. This matchup would mean that three out of the four remaining teams are from the Central Division.

Red Wings: 2-2 in playoff series. Last year the Sharks defeated the Wings in five games in the Conference Semifinals.

I'm far from an expert. Very casual fan. But I did enjoy the Sharks-Kings series. Three overtime games, including the impossible comeback. Fun stuff for someone who didn't pay attention all year. The Sharks are VERY talented. But you can't take yourself seriously for the Cup if you have no goalie.

Well, the Sharks no. 1 goalie won the Cup last season as the Blackhawks' no. 1 goalie, so he can certainly do it, it's just a question of how much is on his shoulders.

He's not on a level with some of the better goalies in the game, but right now, the only goalies left in the West really on another level are Luongo (the fact that Chicago may be in his head notwithstanding) and Pekka Rinne for Nashville. I think SJ is better than Nashville to a point where it won't matter, while Howard for Detroit and Crawford for Chicago are serviceable but not on that level.

So I don't think their goaltending will matter that much, but it also depends on whether they can protect him. Watching the Canucks when Luongo got put in vs. Chicago in game 6 was pretty impressive; it was like they knew he might be fragile, and basically said, "we're going to dominate from here to the end of the game, he's not going to have to win this for us"; unfortunately for them, Chicago blocked so many shots that they weren't able to score.

Wee! Anything can happen in a game 7!

Absolute bullshit on that whistle on what should have been the first Gionta goal, by the way. And shitty hit by Lucic. Glad they got this one done, though. Game 7 tommorow is going to be fantastic.

Sorry to see Buffalo drop this one. Hate Philly so damn much...

Archived