NHL: Playoff Edition

BLU-RAY

I love you, Alex Burrows. Well, not really, but you're a pretty cool dude.

Oh, and HUGE respect for Crawford. That guy was fantastic (and I cursed his name the whole way.)

Crawford was insane. Absolutely insane.

I can't believe they won. That shorthanded goal by Chicago was exactly the kind of thing that happens to Vancouver. I may or may not have screeched when Burr put that in. And of course now I'm regretting not going to that game, but who cares. CANUCKS YAYYYYYYY

I can't believe they won. That shorthanded goal by Chicago was exactly the kind of thing that happens to Vancouver. I may or may not have screeched when Burr put that in. And of course now I'm regretting not going to that game, but who cares. CANUCKS YAYYYYYYY

I seriously debated turning the TV off when they tied it up; I didn't think there was a chance in hell that the Canucks could win it in OT after giving up a goal like that in that situation. Boy, would I have kicked myself if I'd done it.

Wow. Such a beautiful game. I'm glad that the Canucks won. A loss like would have been a career-defining moment for Luongo. And not in a good way. I think that he's a good guy and I wouldn't want him being a choker as his legacy. Plus, I picked them to win ;)

Nothing in the sporting world like game 7 overtime. I'm pissed off about not being able to watch half the games without turning my morning drive into a serious safety hazard since we're playing San Jose now, but happy there's at least one Canadian team guaranteed to still be in the hunt.

Rooting for the Bruins, but that Ference shot on Halpern... maybe I'm letting the commentators bias me, but that seemed shitty, and the fuckstick Boston crowd booing an obvious concussion was definitely shitty.

ETA: Oh, god.

Rooting for the Bruins, but that Ference shot on Halpern... maybe I'm letting the commentators bias me, but that seemed shitty, and the fuckstick Boston crowd booing an obvious concussion was definitely shitty.

Yeah, what was the deal with that? I had the game on in the background and wasn't paying much attention, but I caught them booing as he was being helped off of the ice. What the heck were they booing him for?

As usual, one point for naming the correct series winner and another point for guessing the correct number of games.

snake: 3 points (only guessed the winners)

Caligula_K: 5 points

BLU-RAY: 8 points

Cable: 7 points

Sirius: 6 points

Biter: 9 points :laugh:

Demonblade: 10 points :huh:

Spaced Kelso: 7 points

Habber: 7 points

On to the next round...

East

(1) Washington vs. (5) Tampa Bay - Washington in 6.

After underestimating the Bolts in the first round, I still won't pay any attention to them but instead possibly underestimate them again.

(2) Philadelphia vs. (3) Boston - Boston in 7.

So we can expect a physical series then, eh?

West

(1) Vancouver vs. (5) Nashville - Vancouver in 6.

I don't expect the Canucks to struggle as much here as they did trying to close out their series against the Hawks, but it's not going to be a cakewalk either.

(2) San Jose vs. (3) Detroit - San Jose in 7.

I don't care that Detroit is in it's usual playoff God mode - just win, baby!

Interesting second round. Usually by this point, I have someone to root for, but I'm really debating who I want to see win the most. Probably comes down to Washington and Vancouver for me (possibly San Jose). In the end, I guess it would have to be Washington. I hate to see a player's career marred by not having attained a Stanley Cup.

If I were an NHL referee I'd be embarrassed to go out in public. First the game 6 with Chris "calls anything" Lee being his usual self making up calls(the goaltender interference he called from center ice was quite questionable), then the refs last night with the blinders on in the 3rd period.

The previously mentioned Ference-Halpern hit. Puck nowhere near him, shoulder to the head, cut and paste of the Crosby hit.

Hamerlik then taking a stick to the throat from Kelly on the very next play.

While Kelly is high sticking Hamrlik, Ryder is 10 feet away high sticking the puck out of the air, they take it down and score.

Just awful. If even one of these 3 things was called it would have either been Montreal on the PP with 10 minutes left at 2-2 and a chance to take the lead, or at least the puck would have been called dead on the Ryder play and it would have stayed at 2-2. I know I could do a better job than that, where are the sign ups to audition for a job?

Guess it's time to cheer for Nashville or Tampa Bay, so sick of all the other teams at this point.

Washington vs Tampa Bay. Washington in 5. I have a lot of respect for TB's forwards, but Rollie is what 41? Won't be able to keep it up against a real offense.

Philadelphia vs Boston. Philadelphia in 6. Boston didn't impress me really at all against the Habs for a cup contender. Sure rivalry series are always close, but I think Boston doesn't have the defensive depth to match Philly's offense. Hate both these teams.

Vancouver vs Nashville. Nashville in 6. Vancouver may have cleared the first round, but here they fall. Nashville beat a very very very hot Ducks team. No reason why they can't feed it to the Canucks who will still be on pins and needles.

San Jose vs Detroit. Detroit in 7. Most anticipated series right here for me. Two great teams for the past 5 years+ at it again. Really hard choice to make so I went with Detroit because of the rest factor.

Righto, picks.

Washington vs. Tampa Bay: Tampa in six. I think Tampa is for real, and I don't think the Rangers are.

Philadelphia vs. Boston: Philly in seven. I don't think Boston has the firepower to hang.

Vancouver vs. Nashville: Vancouver in five. I think Vancouver is a better team by a long way; I think their struggles against Chicago were psychological and unique to their opponent. I think they dominate this series.

San Jose vs. Detroit: San Jose in seven. I really have no idea here, though. I wouldn't be surprised with any result other than a sweep by either team.

Washington vs. Tampa Bay: Washington in seven. I think the series goes the distance, but Ovie & co. pull it out in 7.

Philadelphia vs. Boston: Philly in six. Boston may have gotten past Montreal, but I'm still not sold on them.

Vancouver vs. Nashville: Vancouver in five. I'll give the Preds the benefit of the doubt and say they avoid the sweep, but Vancouver was the best team in the league this year. It's time to back it up.

San Jose vs. Detroit: Detroit in seven. This really could go either way, but the Wings have a history of getting it done in the playoffs, and the Sharks...don't.

Washington vs Tampa

Washington in 5

Having to play a team that actually has it's best players on the roster? Uh oh. See ya next year Tampa.

Philly vs Boston

Boston in 6

I'm tempted to say in 7 here, but if as many series go the distance this round as last I'm going to be impressed. This is a very evenly matched series if you ask me, but Philly's biggest impact guy is playing injured.

Vancouver vs Nashville

Nashville in 6

Vancouver is as overrated as Toews said. Luongo is either injured or has lost his touch. If he juggles as many pucks in this series as he did in the last, the Nuckleheads are screwed. Vancouver is now playing a team that didn't stumble into the postseason. Good luck Vancouver, but I don't think they get it done.

San Jose vs Detroit

Detroit in 6

Sure San Jose is good, and wow, Jumbo Joe even scored a playoff goal. But c'mon, the Red Wings have been more than solid so far, and they've got a history of playoff success on their side. Also, Howard > Niemi, atleast for me, any day of the week.

ETA: Oh, god.

The Habs were a disgrace to hockey the entire series. Subban and Halpern especially.

Archived