[Book Spoilers] What did non-readers of the book make of it?

Brienne the Beauty

I would totally watch an epi with her (though TBH probably only after I watched it in quiet myself ;) ).

Yeah, actually - me too. Theres another of her, btw. "Mel hates joffrey".

Edit: While I'm at it, i have to add this one too. Another girl - who clearly did not know what would happen - watching the beheading of Ned

My parents tuned in Sunday night to see what all the hubbub was about (i.e. my sister and I going back & forth on Facebook like a couple of kids at Christmas) and caught one of the encore showings. Mom called last night and couldn't stop talking about it! She had a lot of questions ("that brother and sister, why is their hair so white?" biggrin.gif ), but really I was surprised at how quickly she and dad caught onto the basic structure of the story. BOTH were blown away by the cliffhanger of Bran's fall and are eager to see more. As we spoke I gave her a quick sketch of Westeros and some of the backstory i.e. Robert's rebellion. Now she and dad are both wanting to read the books! They're in their mid-60s and neither is a fantasy buff by any stretch of the imagination. As such, I'd never recommended the books to them before. Better late than never I suppose!

Interestingly enough, despite their small-town Southern roots and somewhat conservative social leanings, the nudity and sexual content didn't seem to bother them at all. Both chalked it up to the time/place setting of the story and to the fact that it's typical of HBO programming.

I've never read the books before this year. I can't believe I never heard of them before or found them on Amazon or something. Anyway I watched until episode 4 then loved it and bought book one read a few chapters and bought the rest. I stayed behind the TV series until it was over so I didn't spoil the show for myself and then I finished the books in the next month, I just couldn't put them down. But I've loved being able to recommend the show to people and tell them there are books this show is based on but if you don't want to buy them without getting an idea of what it is about watch a few episodes of the show and see how you feel. Many people are not willing like me to just buy 5 books without knowing more about it. But I think the TV Show hooks you in pretty quickly. It was fun reading through the books and being able to picture a face with the characters, I admit it was harder to picture Stannis and Davos since I didn't want to get ideas in my head of what they looked like before they were decided for the TV Show. Normally I wouldn't want a TV Show or Movie dictating to me how I will picture different characters. But there are so many here that I think it helps it you have an actor to picture in your mind. I'm trying really hard not to re-read the books too much until I get at least some more of the major characters in my mind.

Archived