[BOOK SPOILERS] The 7 Season Conundrum

The Anti-Targ

You think the kids will want to be doing the same role for 8+ years? I don't. And I suspect the Harry Potter kids were making significantly more money.

This is true of any actor in the series. This series maybe a long time commitment. The one advantage with GoT is that it takes less than half a year to film. So actors have plenty time for other endeavours.

And if they have to recast somebody, that is liveable with IMHO. They did it in Rome (although for a different reason).

Like if ASOS took 2 seasons, by the 2nd half Arya would be 15. Would it still be as believable that no one (tries to) rapes her? Sansa would be 18 (or 19 even, depending on how the mash-up works) by the end of aFFC; do her interactions in the book still make sense if she's already that age?

Then they change how people interact with Sansa/Arya in any S3 or S4. :) These kind of issues are not that challenging. In other words, maybe somebody will attack the 14 year old Arya in S4? Maybe Sandor will protect her? Either way, her age doesn't stop her from moving from BwB to Sandor to Braavos.

Maybe Sansa has to behave a bit more maturely in S4 if she is 16? But I don't see her been older making her marriage with Tyrion easier to deal with. In fact, I could see Lysa been even more threatened by her if she was 16 not 13.

Changes are going to happen folks. If I can figure out ways to deal with obstacles, i'm sure D&D can. :)

Yeah, the ASOS ending certainly feels like a nicer pausing point than any other point so far. If the show had to end after season 3, I could live with it.

I'd agree with this. The end of aSoS is a more natural ending than aCoK or aFfC but if they do end at that point, then I too hope they don't tie things up even more.

But i'd never say that the series should end at the end of aSoS. Could end, yes. But i'll be hoping we get as many books as we can. And if the ratings stay high and we get big DVD sales, then expecting more than 3 seasons isn't particularly optimistic. And we'll always have the books to fall back on if it does end abruptly after 4 or 5 seasons.

The high pace is going to be a bit of an issue but the series still seems to have time for some really lovely scenes (Tyrion and Jon, Robert and Ned in S2 etc).

And idle speculation, but if they ever get to ASOS, do you think they'd title one of the episodes "The Red Wedding"? Or would that be too spoilerish for the audience, and maybe they'll just call "The Wedding".

I want to call the episode "Eating Crow", because that's what Rob tells Catelyn that he'll do for Frey in order to try to get him back, but also because it's a feast and crows are a symbol of death.

"Mayhaps"

C'mon people, isn't the obvious name for the Red Wedding episode "Rains of Castamere"???

I think this scene, assuming we get this far, has a chance to be as iconic as the Goodfellas scene where the piano part of Layla plays... I hope the composer for that scene does it justice.

• 3 months later...

So received wisdom suggests the maximum number of seasons HBO will permit is 7. GRRM says it needs 8, and 12 episode seasons at that.

Jumping the gun big time to assume it's going to get beyond 2 seasons, but thought needs to be given to this what if.

IMO if they take the series to 4 seasons I think the implied popularity means they'll be all in for 7. But can they really complete the entire book series in 7 seasons? And then there's the whole, will GRRM be finished in time?

The way I see it, they do 6 books in 7 10 episode seasons and then cancel the TV adaptation. And do what you do with all great and highly popular TV series (had to cross out great for reasons that should be obvious - not related to GoT): Movie trilogy.

I think, if they get that far, they should do the last book as a movie trilogy (if one book can fit into 10 1 hour episodes then it can fit into 3*3'20 movies). And if the TV series gets to book 6 with 7 seasons then you know there's enough global popularity to justify the budget needed to give it the movie treatment (done LOTR style with filming the whole trilogy in one long production to reduce per movie cost).

So there you have it, how (not) to fit 7 books into 7 seasons.

I wonder how you could do a big budget movie trilogy where your starting at the end of the story. They would need to do it in a way where someone who's watched the HBO series could follow it. And that usually never ends up well. Especially with a story this involved and intricate.

I think A Storm of Swords could be longer then a season and A Feast For Crows and A Dance With Dragons could be combined with the whats left.

Season Two- All of A Clash of Kings

Season Three- Picks up right from the book. Hints of Theon/Reek and Kingsmoot. Ends with Purple Wedding, Ayra leaving Westeros, Stannis saving the wall, Dany becomes Queen of Meereen, and Lysa out the Moondoor.

Season Four (perhaps extended)- Tyrion's trial, Brienne's journey, Ayra's training, Lady Stonheart, Theon/Reek, Euron's rise, Jon as LC, Cersei's fall, Aegon, and Dany's reign.

there is no reason that feast and dance couldn't be done in one season. since it is mostly shit filler. ACOK is already being done in 10, ASOS really needs a minimum of 12, 12 episodes for a combined feast/dance would suit me just fine.

move up the kingsmoot stuff from AFFC to ASOS as a side plot so we don't forget about the iron islands. Make the red wedding the hard cut off point for season 3. Combine ADWD & AFFC and add to the ASOS remaining material and then get as far as you can in ten episodes.

That would look like

Tyrion:

Ep. 1 Joff's Wedding

Ep. 2 Tyrion's Trial

Ep. 3 Tyrion's escape

Ep. 4 (offscreen, traveling)

Ep. 5 Meet Illyrio

Ep. 6 (offscreen, traveling)

Ep. 7 Meet Griff and Aegon

Ep. 8 offscreen, or some character moments with the new group

Ep. 9 Saves Aegon, falls off boat

Ep. 10 rescued from the water, abducted by Mormont.

Season 5 would be something like:

Ep. 1 Enslaved by Mormont, get a ship from the slave lady

Ep. 2&3 (offscreen, traveling)

Ep. 4 Captured by slavers

Ep. 5 (offscreen, traveling)

Ep. 6 Sold as a slave to the fat man

Ep. 7 (offscreen, traveling)

Ep. 8 Performs at Dany's opening of the pits

Ep. 9 Escapes enslavement, joins Plumm

Ep. 10 something from TWoW

For Arya you could have for Season 4:

Ep. 1 escape from the Crossing/killing those bastards, regaining Needle

Ep. 2 Leaving Sandor to die, getting on a ship to Braavos

Ep. 3 offscreen, traveling

Ep. 4 arrival in Braavos

Ep. 5 (Sam arrives in Braavos) Arya learning some stuff while training, ala Syrio scenes

Ep. 6 Cat of the Canals chapter blinded

And then a decision would have to be made about whether or not to move her plot up and continue with ADWD stuf for this season or to spread that out over the next season.

Do the RW on S3e09 (or 11, if they get more episodes) and Joffrey's wedding on the last episode.

I think that it will be something similar to how they handled Ned's execution. The Red Wedding will be Season 3, Episode 9, but they just cannot end it on a down note like that. However, I do imagine the RW ending up being a very evocative episode, but they need to do something happier like killing Joffrey, having Sansa escape, etc. for the finale.

It's my understanding that GOT will remain ten episodes because of the production values.

End the season with the RW and with Joffrey alive would be too much, and have a too negative impact.

Do the RW on S3e09 (or 11, if they get more episodes) and Joffrey's wedding on the last episode.

This (or possibly RW in E08), with Sansa's escape from KL as the closing scene

Archived