[Book Spoilers] EP102 Discussion

Ran

In defense of the CSI moment, without Catelyn's prolonged inner monologue on the subject as to how she built up her suspicion, it was probably the quickest and easiest way to convey the importance of her heading south in haste.

The lack of Ghost is the only thing really irking me. They could have put at least CGI wolf trailing Jon

Took note of this as well. No direwolf following Jon out of Winterfell? What is with that? Ghost is one of the most important direwolves. Hopefully we see him soon.

My only two problems, the first rather trivial, the second more serious. Arya being pronounced as "Ar-e-yuh" by Sansa. I know that is how the actors were saying it but I thought it was going to be dubbed over, it certainly was when Robert asked Arya's name in the first episode. And the second problem was the Catelyn/Cersei scene. Not because they are setting Cersei up to be sympathetic, because I think they definitely made her unlikeable when she insisted on Lady's execution, but because of the whole "fever took my first son" thing. Unless Cersei was lying to Catelyn, but she didn't seem like it. We all know *checks to see that this is the book spoiler thread* that Cersei was supposed to kill the actual children of Robert's. So I'm not sure how this fits in.

But really, minor problems with an amazing episode.

Agreed, that part really stood out to me too. I've convinced myself that Cersei is just trying to plant seeds just in case Jon Arryn made his theory widely known. It's not like Catelyn is likely to try and verify the story. That's my story and I'm sticking to it until it's disproven. :nod:

Dub and I were shocked at how many scenes were verbatim from the book.

Us too. Total multiple nerd-gasms throughout the episode.

This episode was stellar, really. No complaints. Glad they cut Bran's dream, as that would likely be too strange to see. I wonder if theyll have him talk about it, though.

Also loved how they connected Bran and the wolves.

Yes. Yes. Yes. We shall see. At first I wasn't thrilled about Lady's death being connected to Bran's waking but I understand the necessity due to the cutting out of Bran's dream leading to Bran's waking.

And we had light skinned Dothraki. Take that h8rs.

There already were, so that's not the discussion-ending point you think it was.

Similar for the comment on the use of nudity in ep 1. It just means ep 2 didn't fall into that trap (and does raise hope that the series as a whole won't). Neither changes how ep 1 went out, especially when that was viewers' first impression of the series.

I found the addition of a fourth live birth for Cersei interesting, especially as (I think) Cersei was being genuine about her reaction to her loss. Playing up the blond/dark dichotomy while also making Cersei more sympathetic?

Agreed, that part really stood out to me too. I've convinced myself that Cersei is just trying to plant seeds just in case Jon Arryn made his theory widely known. It's not like Catelyn is likely to try and verify the story. That's my story and I'm sticking to it until it's disproven. :nod:

That is exactly what I was thinking... she knows what is coming so she has cover her behind

How does the time go that fast???

I cracked up with the Irri/Jihqui (don't remember spelling) "It is known" thing, lol. And I didn't picture Doreah like that at all but she's adorable and sexy as hell.

Like others have said, my husband and I were really pissed with them leaving out "It should have been you." Why make that change?

Cersei looked a little better in this episode. She wasn't nearly attractive enough in the first episode. I'm still not sold on her though - she's not Cersei to me, whereas most of the actors have taken over my mind when I read the books. I still see a Michelle Pfeiffer at her best or even young Rebecca de Mornay.

These episodes are going to be much more difficult to watch than the books were to read. I wasn't sure I could make it through the scene with Mycah, is it? (The butcher's boy). Ugh. Sansa did a good job freaking out about Lady.

Arya was the standout for me in this episode. She's so natural.

It's a change from the books, but I like how they added a lost child of Cersei + Robert. It establishes that Robert's children would be darkhaired, even when with Cersei. I think this will make it a bit easier for new audiences to understand the eventual reveal of Joff/Tommen/Myrcella parentage, rather than just rely on Ned's studying of heritage books and visiting Robert's bastards.

I don't mind the humanization of Cersei all that much. Even in the books, it seemed like she was willing to give Robert a chance before he slighted her (calling for Lyanna, all the other women). She's still a manipulative b**** :)

Us too. Total multiple nerd-gasms throughout the episode.

Yes. Yes. Yes. We shall see. At first I wasn't thrilled about Lady's death being connected to Bran's waking but I understand the necessity due to the cutting out of Bran's dream leading to Bran's waking.

I was happy about this because we finally got to see that there is a deeper connection to the wolves. I was starting to get frustrated because I felt non readers had no notion just how connected to the wolves the Stark kids are

They did show Micah's corpse, it was the bloody body that Sandor brought back.

yep, but i expected a big deal about that. like arya seeing it and say something to the hound

"i hate you" would have been okay :D

Loved it. Even better than the premiere, because I felt this one succeeded at telling the story independently of knowledge from the books (no fault of the first episode... It had so much setup to do)- also got to play with some more emotional scenes. Dinklage is fantastic.

The only changed I'm miffed about is missing Bran's dream, which I think is very important for setting up the epic scope of the series, though it would be very hard to pull off onscreen. Hopefully we get some snippets of it throughout the series...

There already were, so that's not the discussion-ending point you think it was.

Similar for the comment on the use of nudity in ep 1. It just means ep 2 didn't fall into that trap (and does raise hope that the series as a whole won't). Neither changes how ep 1 went out, especially when that was viewers' first impression of the series.

Eefa = wet blanket

It is known. :P

Loved this episode. Joffrey is casted perfectly as I want to rip his face off as well as Sansa. Poor Lady and need more Ghost. Only got a glimpse of him while they panned in on them setting camp when John and Tyrion talk. I especially like how they are making Dani and Drogo's relationship more meaningful.

I think D and D added that scene to illustrate even further that all of Robert's children have black hair.

I think so too but, unless Cersei is lying about the events, it doesn't make sense that Cersei and Robert had a kid, it died, then she had kids with Jaime and proceeded to kill all of her children with Robert. I did take note of the "dark haired" and "look just like Robert" stuff, but unless we find out later that the child didn't die, she killed it, I think we could have been without that as it only messes with the true events.

Must be having trouble finding a pure white wolf. The little glimpse of Ghost we have is a big let-down, as he is an essential part of Jon IMHO.

Yeah, we should have seen him at the crossroads when Snow turns north. At least.

Fucking excellent. I missed Renly not being there and laughing his ass off about Arya whipping Joff's ass. And the elimination of "it should have been you" is almost criminal ... but otherwise, fucking excellent.

What is the complaint about not showing Micah's corpse ? the body draped over Sandor's horse was who ?

My GF looked over at me after the Dany/Drogo sex scene and said "Thats more like it" LOL

Honestly, the ONLY complaint I have is the rehab of Cat Stark. The producers decision to make her less hateful detracts from the power of the story for me. But her battling the assassin to save Bran would have made her a hero in the eyes of most non readers regardless. I'm afraid the producers are falling into the trap of fearing to show the "heroes" as people with weaknesses. I hope I'm wrong and they don't continue to tweak the show into bad vs good

Archived