[BOOK SPOILERS] Episode 101, take 3

LugaJetboyGirl

So I finally just watched the first episode on HBO Go with all the special features. HBO did a phenomenal job, there was some really cool stuff there. For example, there was a kick ass little video about how they filmed the Prologue. Apparently it took them 10 weeks to get the snow all laid out! I'd say it was worth it, I thought the prologue scene was beautiful.

It was also cool to see some of the props up close. For example, I hadn't actually realized that Robert's crown was essentially shaped like antlers. They even had a 360 degree view of Lyanna's statue, and a cool video of one of the D's explaining about how she's the only woman Robert ever loved, and the significance of the feather.

Incidently, there were two statements related to the recent fan 'controversies.' At the filming of the Dothraki wedding, the director (I think?) said that we are supposed to see the event through Dany's eyes, with everything being scary and Other. In one the other little videos, Benioff was talking about how, in the infamous Dany bath scene, Viserys' actions made perfect sense to him (Viserys) because in other circumstances they would have been married. But we the viewers are definitely supposed to find it "creepy."

I know part of the reason they included all those special feature things was to further help people who were confused by the details, but I thought it was also just something super cool to do for the fans. Having been a TORN reader from back at the beginning, I definitely got to experience what it felt like for the cast and crew of the project to really want to please and include the fans. It was this special features thing that really drove home just how much HBO is taking it to the next level. It kind of made me feel a little warm and fuzzy inside.

I said it earlier (long thread), but I don't think there's anyway that Martell would do something so obvious as give a public gift to Drogo at his wedding. He is clearly established as a very patient and cautious, and openly admits that drawing the ire of the Lannisters (thus certainly the still strongly allied Barethon/Lannister throne) would mean the doom of his people. If he was to give a gift, it would have been very not-public.

I think a stronger case could be made it was a gift from Oberyn Martell. He is the viper and he is much more willing to openly stand in defiance.

I said it earlier (long thread), but I don't think there's anyway that Martell would do something so obvious as give a public gift to Drogo at his wedding. He is clearly established as a very patient and cautious, and openly admits that drawing the ire of the Lannisters (thus certainly the still strongly allied Barethon/Lannister throne) would mean the doom of his people. If he was to give a gift, it would have been very not-public.

Yes, it does seem inconsistent, but I think it's a mistake to assume the show is as consistent as the books are. If the producers wanted to throw in a Dornish envoy as a nod to fans, I don't think they would have thought about it much beyond that.

Anyway, toward the end of the last thread we determined that the whole Dornish envoy thing is a mostly unfounded rumor.

I think a stronger case could be made it was a gift from Oberyn Martell. He is the viper and he is much more willing to openly stand in defiance.

I've never thought of Oberyn as much of a schemer. The way he solves problems is with his spear, not with an envoy.

Why can't the snake-giver have just been some random person presenting a gift that was supposed to weird Daenerys out? It's only the pilot.

I agree. Although it would be cool to have some Dornish business going on, snakes are definitely a sure-fire way to further freak out a sheltered girl who is supposed to be terrified by all the scary Others around her.

Yeah, I personally think the snakes were just some random gift-giver, I wouldn't try to read too much into it. But then again, who the hell gives a crate of snakes as a wedding gift? Uh...thanks I guess? But as I recall Drogo gives no reaction at all to this. If it were really unusual or insultng or shocking, wouldn't he be surprised or angry or something? Just seems like another poorly thought out "let's think of anything weird to make the Dothraki more exotic" move. Like, let's say, eyeliner on a warlord.

Yea, I already said I think the snakes were just a random gift, fun to speculate while we wait for tonight...

Oberyn wouldn't give snakes as a scheme, other than to tweak Robert and his brother. He definitely seemed a "Let's poke it with a stick and see what it does" type in the short time we got to know him.

I kind of hope that, in an effort to illustrate Dany's transformation from timid fragile petal into Woken Dragon, HBO shows Dany wearing the snakes on her shoulders all the time. And then maybe Drogon will eat the snakes :)

Are you suggesting that Dany should take the snakes with her on the plains? <_<

Are you suggesting that Dany should take the snakes with her on the plains? dry.gif

Of course! She can have little saddle baskets that the snakes ride around in, but mostly they can cling to her arms as she gallops about. Then at night they can sleep with her and Drogo in their tent o' love. Either that, or the care of the snakes can be relegated to Dany's annoyed handmaidens.

What are Will's last words? Sounds like "fuckin... *unintelligible*"

He says "Forgive me Lord."

It's a weird thing to say though. I have no idea who the Lord is. It has been suggested he is asking for forgiveness from Ned, but that doesn't make sense to me.

He says "Forgive me Lord."

It's a weird thing to say though. I have no idea who the Lord is. It has been suggested he is asking for forgiveness from Ned, but that doesn't make sense to me.

Well, the southern people of the realm worship the Seven. However, most of the teaching of that religion states that there are not seven gods but seven aspects of a single god.

Well, the southern people of the realm worship the Seven. However, most of the teaching of that religion states that there are not seven gods but seven aspects of a single god.

Be that as it may they never use the singular.

As for the alleged Dornish snakes, I still think it too much of a risky gambit for any one in Dorne to openly send an open envoy to Dany's wedding.

I think what Will was saying was "Forgive me, my lord", to Ned, for being an oathbreaker. He also protests that he's not a coward, and asks for news to be brought to his mother. So I think it's just him interacting personally with Ned.

As for the snakes - it needn't be anything political or overt yet, just Oberyn being curious and sneaking into the wedding to get a look at the last Targaryens, Bael the Bard-style. Only instead of songs, it's snakes he brings (and no, he won't be making off with the lovely maid; he's just taking a peek to stay abreast of things). If that is in fact what we're being teased with, it's very subtle indeed. It could even hint at Alleras, but I think the serpents can really only point to one person.

It strikes me as the kind of homage D&D would toss in there as a nod to those in the know - sort of an acknowledgment of the people who are die-hard fans, and would go berserk over something absolutely inconsequential because we know what it might mean. It's a minor detail that means nothing in and of itself, but those quick enough to catch it would get all wiggly and happy.

Maybe. I could just be over-excited and reading too much into it... naaaah, I never do that!

Archived