The Weapon Master

Westeros

We’ve posted a new item in our Game of Thrones Features section, an interview with the weapon master for the production, Tommy Dunne. With over fifteen years of experience, he has worked on some very high-profile projects, both on Hollywood film projects and for HBO. Now leading the Armory department for Game of Thrones, Mr. Dunne fills us in on some of his background, some of the decisions made for the weapon and designs, and what’s become of King Robert’s warhammer.

Read the interview!

Visit the Site!

Ran, did you perchance ask Mr Dunne (or anyone else from the armoury department) what the mysterious pommel of Robert's sword is supposed to represent and what the rationale behind him carrying it is?

I did notice that!

I did not ask him about the sword in this interview, but I've been informed that Robert's sword was designed during the very short period they had for the pilot, and that this was one of the designs where the concept artist had more sway. I was told that the pommel was supposed to represent a dragon, and was intended conceptually as something Robert carried to signify that his claim rested in part on his descent from the Targaryens.

Archived