[Book Spoilers] Episode 3 Preview

thorny throne

Someone mentioned that we won't see Sam until another episode (four I think it is?). Anyway, I like Sam's character as well although his whining in his chapters can be a bit tiresome at times. I think the character will probably come across better and more more sympathetic on the show since we won't be privy to his internal thoughts.

Question about the tournament -

I remember back when we followed the shooting of the series, there were some production stills released from the set of the tournament; some showing the Hound vs. the Mountain, others showing Sansa and Littlefinger in the audience. There were some doubt as to the 'size' of the event, whether they were going to add more background via bluescreen, or if it had just been scaled down (admit it, when you read the book, you pictured thousands of roaring spectators).

How does that end up looking on-screen? Is it more of the small scale affair that the set pictures indicated, or are they using tricks to make it look bigger?

Syrio.

King's Landing. (Yes, we've kinda seen it.. but not really)

Varys.

Littlefinger.

Castle Black.

Renly.

Barristan the Bold.

Maester Aemon.

And just maybe.. Tyrion's crab fork duel with Ser Alliser Thorne.

I'm also looking forward to all of that, but I'm starting to get a fear that introducing so many new characters and places is going to compromise everything, where things feel too rushed, too spread out, and potentially confusing, like Episode 1 where they had so much to introduce. It doesn't seem like 60 minutes is enough to do justice to all that, while continuing to develop all the storylines and characters from the previous episides.

I'm also looking forward to all of that, but I'm starting to get a fear that introducing so many new characters and places is going to compromise everything, where things feel too rushed, too spread out, and potentially confusing, like Episode 1 where they had so much to introduce. It doesn't seem like 60 minutes is enough to do justice to all that, while continuing to develop all the storylines and characters from the previous episides.

Are we sure we'll get to see Barristan the Bold? How far into the King's Landing storyline are we getting? I just remember that he's not there when Ned first joins the Small Council... Besides, Maester Aemon won't take more than a few seconds of screen time, I think, he has like 2 lines at this point.

Ser barristan is introduced on the books on the first Sansa chapter when he and Renly meet the royal comitive at the Trident, before the incident with the kids. So they are already being late :)

Ser barristan is introduced on the books on the first Sansa chapter when he and Renly meet the royal comitive at the Trident, before the incident with the kids. So they are already being late :)

Ah, that's right, I completely forgot; I skipped that chapter during my ongoing reread. Had just seen episode 102 and couldn't handle another dose of Joffrey-adoration in the same week. Guess that means we'll see old Selmy then, though he's not really important yet. Hope we'll get Renly, though, I'm a fan of his!

Archived