Two more languages?

Ser Greguh

I believe that Mirri Maz Duur was singing in the language of Asshai.

There are more languages that must be created. I'm most looking forward to hearing what Braavosi sounds like because Jaqen and Syrio don't seem to have the same accent.

Well, but once David creates High Valyrian we will have all its daughter languages, so I think they'll all be created at the same time!

Not sure lifeless delivery in High Valyrian would be much of an improvement.

Hopefully at least the folks at Slaver's Bay speak High Valyrian.

Exactly.

High Valyrian is an obvious expy of Latin, with a few elements of Greek and generic elf language.

Have the Pentoshi's speak Italian, the Myrish and Tyroshi speak Sicilian... voila you have your languages.

Exactly.

High Valyrian is an obvious expy of Latin, with a few elements of Greek and generic elf language.

Have the Pentoshi's speak Italian, the Myrish and Tyroshi speak Sicilian... voila you have your languages.

That would be quite lame, seeing that Martin never tried to use any of these languages to replace the various valyrian bastards.

So what words do we already know in High Valyrian?

dracarys - dragonfire

valar morghulis - all men must die

It sounds like a mix of Latin and Greek so far. I wonder if David Peterson will come up with a phonetic transcription system to go along with the words. I can't wait to get a High Valyrian tattoo.

ETA:

valonqar - little brother

valar dohaeris - all men must serve

I`ve definitely seen a thread somewhere that discussion High Valyrian in more detail and tries to break down certain meanings and possible conjugations from the words we have. Can`t remember where I saw it though, it was a good few months ago.

I`m actually not hugely bothered by whether or not they make the bastard versions of Valyrian - like any of us would notice a difference - but I hope they definitely introduce HV. Is there any official or unofficial, actually, word on this? Tweets from actors, slipped comments, patent applications?

I`ve definitely seen a thread somewhere that discussion High Valyrian in more detail and tries to break down certain meanings and possible conjugations from the words we have. Can`t remember where I saw it though, it was a good few months ago.

I`m actually not hugely bothered by whether or not they make the bastard versions of Valyrian - like any of us would notice a difference - but I hope they definitely introduce HV. Is there any official or unofficial, actually, word on this? Tweets from actors, slipped comments, patent applications?

We have had several confirmations ,even, from the moderators.

We have the , surprising!, CNN special , ... that was months ago, where D&D expressed strongly they wanted HV.

The casting of Nathalie Emmanuel as Missandei seems to clinch it. (In fact it looks as if those scenes from SoS with Missandei as the translator were being shot a few weeks ago.)

David Peterson even gave a hint he was doing it, but then clammed up for the last many months. (He surely has to concentrate on the work.)

Plus leaks from here and there , so would say it's almost dead sure it will appear in season 3. I wonder how they will do it tho, they always , sort of, minimized the spoken Dothraki. My impression is that HV is more sophisticated language with a much larger vocabulary and syntax.

If I had any ability in this kind of thing it sounds like a ton of fun to work on it.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Well not only High Valyrian, but you should develop the different lesser valyrian languages spoken all throughout. Each free city has its own version as different European nations had different romances. I think David will be able to handle this quite well, he even developed a Proto-Dothraki to make his complete Dothraki, so that he could work different dothraki dialects if needed.

I would imagine he'll do the same with High Valyrian and its descendants.

About this, check it out:

From David Peterson's twitter account: "Just heard my first bit of Astapori Valyrian. Extraordinarily pleased.

So he referred to it as "Astapori Valyrian", hinting that in fact there will be different kinds of Valyrian!! I think this partly confirms my theory about him developing different dialects. As I said, this was to be expected judging by his work with Dothraki.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Probably. He did do some work on Skroth... I wonder if we'll ever be able to see any of it.

My wishful thinking: the white walkers hear and percieve their own language differently. Where we hear "icy sounds" they hear something completely different and at one moment we can "see" through the eyes of a white walker as it/he/she chats with their buddies and then we can hear what Skroth actually sounds like.

But thats just me falling into a fantasy there.

A weird mix of nordic languages?

• 1 year later...

Archived