thoughts on the books so far

starki

Hello, reader from Slovenia, read the first three books so far, and Feast for crows is getting translated here next month.

Loving the series, I think this one was the best yet. Favourite character is Tyrion for his intellect, and his treatment of Sansa - though otherwise I dislike all Lannisters and finally two of them got out of the story with this book.

I enjoy reading about the (poor) Stark family, was surprised to see Jon go on the Wall. I was sure he'd go over in Winterfell since surely he's now the only legitimate heir to Ned Stark left. (all the other Stark kids being younger, or being girls).

As for kingdom, I'm rooting for either Stannis (I have a feeling Melissandra will be the death of him yet) or Daenerys to be ruling the Westeros. I guess now only a Lannister can challenge them...Jaime perhaps ?

I'm curious what the motive of Littlefinger and Varys are. I think both of them could be rulers if that's what they really wanted to.

Hello, reader from Slovenia, read the first three books so far, and Feast for crows is getting translated here next month.

Loving the series, I think this one was the best yet. Favourite character is Tyrion for his intellect, and his treatment of Sansa - though otherwise I dislike all Lannisters and finally two of them got out of the story with this book.

I enjoy reading about the (poor) Stark family, was surprised to see Jon go on the Wall. I was sure he'd go over in Winterfell since surely he's now the only legitimate heir to Ned Stark left. (all the other Stark kids being younger, or being girls).

As for kingdom, I'm rooting for either Stannis (I have a feeling Melissandra will be the death of him yet) or Daenerys to be ruling the Westeros. I guess now only a Lannister can challenge them...Jaime perhaps ?

I'm curious what the motive of Littlefinger and Varys are. I think both of them could be rulers if that's what they really wanted to.

I tend to be of the opinion that Littlefinger plays the game as a game. It entertains him. Varys I'm less sure of, but I tend to actually believe that he is attempting to stabilize the realm for the realm's sake.

I tend to be of the opinion that Littlefinger plays the game as a game. It entertains him. Varys I'm less sure of, but I tend to actually believe that he is attempting to stabilize the realm for the realm's sake.

I always thought Varys was a true Targaryen supporter. If he was just after peace for the realm, why would he be so involved in getting Dany back to Westeros, even though her return will surely need to be in the form of an invasion?

Yes, Varys is true Targaryen supporter.

In 1st book Arya overhear conversation between Varys and I think its Iliyrio Mopatis.

Talking about currently situation and their goals.

I'm about 25% finished with this book. And I ALSO can't seem to figure out Baelish's true motiviations. Perhaps he is just playing the game (and playing it well). I don't think he truly covets a crown, and I cannot tell if it is respect(sorrow) or hatred he has for the Starks... or perhaps he knows even more than he lets on and is positioning himself for the return of a Targeryen Queen. We'll see.

But what I hope for the most is that GRRM stops torturing the poor Starks in the coming books. He makes them central to the story, makes is care for them, and does nothing but destroy their lives. Is he just trying to tell us what the world does to good people in his view? Does redemption, vengeance, and glory await them?

I'm about 25% finished with this book. And I ALSO can't seem to figure out Baelish's true motiviations. Perhaps he is just playing the game (and playing it well). I don't think he truly covets a crown, and I cannot tell if it is respect(sorrow) or hatred he has for the Starks... or perhaps he knows even more than he lets on and is positioning himself for the return of a Targeryen Queen. We'll see.

But what I hope for the most is that GRRM stops torturing the poor Starks in the coming books. He makes them central to the story, makes is care for them, and does nothing but destroy their lives. Is he just trying to tell us what the world does to good people in his view? Does redemption, vengeance, and glory await them?

Heartbreaking, isn't it? And a long journey still to travel. :stunned:

PS: Welcome to the board!

Do you suppose the return of Danaerys would be more peaceful than bloody? The populist in me hopes Stannis is able to champion her and not oppose her, and together, the Lannisters (mainly just Cersei) will be destroyed.

Depends on how the smallfolk go perhaps.

Hello,

I'm new to the board and also to the books. I actually came to the books via the HBO series, even though I had heard of the ASOIF-Saga beforehand, but had just never got round to reading it. I read about the series online and saw some stills a couple weeks before the first episode aired, and it made me want to read the books (as well as watch the series). So I bought Game of Thrones, devoured it, Clash of Kings as well, and am now about a hundred pages away from finishing the first part of Storm of Swords. Although the end of GOT shocked me a little, I find it hard to put the books down, because I want to get to the next POV chapters of my favourites. I guess mine are the same of most readers. Arya features right at the top, Tyrion a close second, Jon and Dany tied for third. While in general I sympathize more with the Starks (those poor kids just cannot catch a break), the other Lannisters also start to grow on me. I enjoy the Jaime stuff, especially his bickering with the "wench", but I am also sorry for Cersei in a way. Not only did she have to endure the whoremongering glutton of a husband who also beat her, now she is back under the thumb of her tyrannical father, even though she is the queen.

As far as the POV characters are concerned, I do not like Davos, although of course the reader has to know what happens at Stannis' court, and in COK the Theon plotline lost its appeal to me after what he did at Winterfell (and his constant whining about his rightful place was annoying to me). And Bran can be a bit tedious to read at times, in my opinion. What I'd like to see in the future is a POV from the perspective of the wildlings (Mance maybe) and/or one of the Tyrells.

Hello,

I'm new to the board and also to the books. I actually came to the books via the HBO series, even though I had heard of the ASOIF-Saga beforehand, but had just never got round to reading it. I read about the series online and saw some stills a couple weeks before the first episode aired, and it made me want to read the books (as well as watch the series). So I bought Game of Thrones, devoured it, Clash of Kings as well, and am now about a hundred pages away from finishing the first part of Storm of Swords. Although I was a little shocked when Eddard died at the end of GOT, I find it hard to put the books down, because I want to get to the next POV chapters of my favourites. I guess mine are the same of most readers. Arya features right at the top, Tyrion a close second, Jon and Dany tied for third. While in general I sympathize more with the Starks (those poor kids just cannot catch a break), the other Lannisters also start to grow on me. I enjoy the Jaime stuff, especially his bickering with the "wench", but I am also sorry for Cersei in a way. Not only did she have to endure the whoremongering glutton of a husband who also beat her, now she is back under the thumb of her tyrannical father, even though she is the queen.

As far as the POV characters are concerned, I do not like Davos, although of course the reader has to know what happens at Stannis' court, and in COK the Theon plotline lost its appeal to me after what he did at Winterfell (and his constant whining about his rightful place was annoying to me). And Bran can be a bit tedious to read at times, in my opinion. What I'd like to see in the future is a POV from the perspective of the wildlings (Mance maybe) and/or one of the Tyrells.

Hello, and welcome to the board. Glad you're enjoying the books! For this thread though, you might want to edit out your line about Ned's fate at the end of GoT, since I'm sure some new readers here haven't gotten that far yet, and you don't want to spoil it for them.

Hello, and welcome to the board. Glad you're enjoying the books! For this thread though, you might want to edit out your line about Ned's fate at the end of GoT, since I'm sure some new readers here haven't gotten that far yet, and you don't want to spoil it for them.

Okay, I thought that since this thread is about the third book I couldn't possibly spoil the first.

Okay, I thought that since this thread is about the third book I couldn't possibly spoil the first.

YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY RIGHT!! Your post is fine--my sincere apologies. I was bouncing from one of these 'new reader' threads to another and didn't realize where I was. My bad! So sorry, carry on, you're fine! :bowdown:

As far as the POV characters are concerned, I do not like Davos, although of course the reader has to know what happens at Stannis' court, and in COK the Theon plotline lost its appeal to me after what he did at Winterfell (and his constant whining about his rightful place was annoying to me). And Bran can be a bit tedious to read at times, in my opinion.

I'm also new to the boards and have done the same as you.. heard about the HBO series and decided to devour the books. I'm about 2/3 finished with Storm of Swords.

I agree with you about Bran's POV. It has not been filled with much action or development thus far. But I'm hoping A Dance with Dragons rights that wrong.

But I must disagree with you about Davos Seaworth's POV. I love the uphill battle he faces with always having to speak truth to Stannis. And if this reader must choose a King/Queen to champion after Robb stark, it's Stannis. Afterall, without Ned, it seems Davos is one of the last honest and true men left in the Realm.

But I must disagree with you about Davos Seaworth's POV. I love the uphill battle he faces with always having to speak truth to Stannis. And if this reader must choose a King/Queen to champion after Robb stark, it's Stannis. Afterall, without Ned, it seems Davos is one of the last honest and true men left in the Realm.

Granted, Davos is a very honest person, considering he was a smuggler, but I dislike the king he serves, mainly because Stannis is under the influence of Melisandre and her god. I find that a bit scarier than Cersei influencing her son. Of all the kings, Robb seems to me the most competent and self-sufficient, considering his age. Okay, the marriage was a mistake, and his mother interferes a bit by releasing Jaime, but apart from that he is doing a good job. If I were to choose a champion after Robb, it would be Daenerys who's really coming into her own and showing some of her dragon spirit, and of course Mance Rayder, who must be the shrewdest and most resourceful of the lot by managing to keep that rag-tag band of wildlings together and his lieutenants (if you can call them that) more or less in line.

Granted, Davos is a very honest person, considering he was a smuggler, but I dislike the king he serves, mainly because Stannis is under the influence of Melisandre and her god. I find that a bit scarier than Cersei influencing her son.

You got that right! Melisandre is an awful thing, which is why I like Davos so much. Such a simple and honest man tasked with being her counterweight.

If I were to choose a champion after Robb, it would be Daenerys who's really coming into her own...

Danaerys is fantastic. She's a just Queen, surrounded by seemingly devout advisors, sufficiently vengeful, and fun to read most of all. But because I'm rather infatuated with Robert's Rebellion, I don't like her snooty reference to the "Usurper". But I suppose she has not yet gotten the grasp of her father's mad cruelty. Aerys II deserved the rebellion that unseated him, and I wish when/if Dany retakes the Iron Throne, she understands that.

I wouldn't call Catelyn stupid nor Sansa, for that matter. Catelyn tries to protect (and at times avenge) her family and in the process makes decisions which later turn out to be bad, but which (at least as far as Tyrion's arrest or the release of Jaime are concerned) seemed plausible at the time. Sansa on the other hand is a naive thirteen-year-old, but I think it's unfair to criticize her for her age. Sansa is trying to please everyone and get by on the basis of what she has learned (being nice and courteous and acting a lady). I'd rather say that Arya is showing more of Catelyn's character traits than Sansa. She isn't meek and passive, but acts and makes bold - albeit reckless - decisions by trying to reach Riverrun more or less on her own, she even kills two people herself.

If people insist on calling Catelyn stupid nonetheless, okay. But if one of the daughters is Catelyn's kind of stupid, it's Arya hands down, and not Sansa.

I wouldn't call Catelyn stupid nor Sansa, for that matter. Catelyn tries to protect (and at times avenge) her family and in the process makes decisions which later turn out to be bad, but which (at least as far as Tyrion's arrest or the release of Jaime are concerned) seemed plausible at the time.

Its a tribute to GRRM's writing skills that to this day people are still arguing over Catelyn's decisions and actions, and that all sides feel so vehemently about her. From my perspective, Catelyn, and every other noble in the entire continent of Westeros presumably, knows Tywin Lannister's ferocious reputation for responding to perceived 'insults' to his House. There are folk songs written about it, sung in taverns, so even the small folk know that if there is one thing you do not want to do unless you want your world to come tumbling down in ruin and destruction--that one thing would be to insult Tywin Lannister and offend against him and his House. He is the wealthiest, proudest man in the realm and a tremendous military commander in his own right. Remember the Lannisters House Words: A Lannister always pays his debts. At the time Catelyn captures Tyrion and takes him away for trial, Catelyn's husband and two young daughters are in King's Landing (where Tywin's daughter is Queen and Tywin's son is a Kingsguard and considered one of the best fighting men in the realm.) Catelyn's home, Winterfell, is in the hands of her 14 yr old son. Also at Winterfell are her crippled child, Bran, and her toddler son, Rickon. So, this is the point where Catelyn kidnaps Tywin Lannister's son and takes him away at swordpoint to be tried.

From my perspective, what would happen as a result of her decision is as inevitable as sunrise.

BUT, this is not a love Catelyn/hate Catelyn thread! There are plenty of them, some of which have been going on for years! :laugh:

Meanwhile, welcome to the board! :cheers:

I'm about 80% into this book and Slynt has just shown up at the wall.

In his conversation with John he keeps insisting on being referred to as my lord, surely he is no longer a lord though as wouldn't he have given that up when taking the black?

I'm about 80% into this book and Slynt has just shown up at the wall.

In his conversation with John he keeps insisting on being referred to as my lord, surely he is no longer a lord though as wouldn't he have given that up when taking the black?

Perhaps if he had respect for his oath and the brotherhood...

Archived