[BOOK SPOILERS] Concerning Bran

Phostopheles

I haven't seen a thread on this, but this was one of the first concerns that came to mind when GRRM insisted on wanting multiple seasons for several books.

Bran's actor is 10-ish, possibly a bit older. Definitely hasn't hit puberty yet. Kids grow, and for Bran this is particularly troublesome because he'll be spending most of his screentime on another character's back, and there's no assurance that Bran's actor will remain so petite as the show goes on. I think the imagery explains itself.

Discuss.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been wondering this as well. Shooting his scenes ahead like that would show good foresight.

In a way, I wish they would just deviate from the books and have him walk again. Maybe have him healed when he passes the Wall or some such nonsense. It'll save the issue of having a 14 year old boy hanging off the back of poor Hodor in a few years.

Or give him a huge mechanical wolf to ride. :)

Yes, I know it'll completely destroy his character to do heal him, and it mean he would never need to warg into Hodor or be tempted to stay inside Summer. But purely from the point of view of logistics, you have to think it's crossed the producers' minds.

The other obvious answer is to replace the actor every few years, which would be sad, because the current Bran is so fantastic. Imagine the "Who is the Best Bond" -like debates by the series end? :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

It always confused me why Bran didn't have a wheelchair. Doesn't Doran Martell have one?

Hodor cares not for your chairs with wheels.

But seriously, wheelchairs kinda suck when you're in a world without many nice flat surfaces. Hodor is much more convenient for carrying Bran up winding stairs etc., and a horse is much better over rough ground.

Kids grow, and for Bran this is particularly troublesome because he'll be spending most of his screentime on another character's back, and there's no assurance that Bran's actor will remain so petite as the show goes on. I think the imagery explains itself.

Not just the imagery, but it would kill the back of the guy that plays Hodor! Hodor may be supernaturally strong, but Kristian Nairn probably isn't.

They are not likely going to remain as faithful to the books with each new season so I imagine that there will be significant story changes, or at least character changes, to account for things like kids growing up.

Archived