Poll: How would you rate Episode 102?

Kat

306 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

This is just so you can get an idea of overall fan reaction on a weekly basis. Your own scale, of course, is subjective. Everyone's a critic!

Retroactive Episode 101 poll here.

Edited by Bean Bags

7/10

Dropped marks for the Dany scenes; which I felt were poorly developed from Episode 1. I thought there could have been greater focus on the Lannister Twins after the close of episode 1. I found the introduction of secondary characters a bit lame (Payne, The Hound, Doreah) . Other than that, a nice episode. It felt very much like the second hour of a 2 hour premiere. Now the story really starts :)

Far better than the first episode although I suppose they had to rush through that one in order to arrive at the Bran incident for the cliffhanger. I still feel the flow of the story would be enhanced by scheduling it as 5 x 2 hour episodes rather than 10 x 1 hour shows but overall the adaptation has improved with the second program. Tyrion rapidly assuming the mantle of star of the show that he has in the books and Cersei really well observed by Lena Headley.

between 7-8 of 10.

None of the changes break anything for me - just have me scratching my head wondering why. Jaime/Jon interaction, the transition for Dany works but is a little fast, I happen to think the Cat comment to Jon should have been included.

Positives...lots. The action of the direwolves, Joffrey getting beaten, the number of line for line scenes from the book, the nonchalance of the Hound with Micah's body. Bran waking up when Lady dies.

biggest gripe is that it wasn't a full hour.

Yeah, it's almost as if the poll is being hosted on a fansite for the series the show is based on! Crazy!

I gave it a 9. Arya made the show for me, and Tyrion followed that up. Those are my two favs in the book, and they really make it shine here.

gave 8 out of 10 for the first episode and 9 out of 10 for the second, and was verging on giving 10/10 thought it was excellent and much better than the first. Tyrion is really starting to come into his own, I really like the actors playing Jon and Arya, the girl playing Sansa is better than I thought from the first episode. Very few negatives maybe a few more shots of ghost and greywind. I'd have had ghost running alongside jon's horse as he left winterfell .. but eh thats only very minor. The scene where the assasin fought with Cat and summer came to the rescue was cool. Still not sure about Theon though ...

Edited by tuthmoses

There seems to be a consensus here, I also gave 8 for the first one and 9 for this one. The first one got the environments, the people and the little details right. The second one did the same, but it also had interesting stories to tell. Sure, they're (mostly) all from the book, but I think this episode showed that the producers did the transition from book to the screen exceptionally well. It almost seems as if ASOIAF had always been intended as a TV script. The deviations from the original text were all well done. The multiple POVs worked, the storylines worked, the chemistry between the actors worked - even the direwolf action worked, and I was very sceptical of that. So altogether a very polished episode that can stand proudly on its own, although its certainly a "transition" episode with so much travelling in it. I can only imagine how great this show will be when they get to the REALLY meaty stuff. If they don't screw up big time when it really matters, I really can't see this show going wrong at this point.

Yeah, it's almost as if the poll is being hosted on a fansite for the series the show is based on! Crazy!

I gave it a 9. Arya made the show for me, and Tyrion followed that up. Those are my two favs in the book, and they really make it shine here.

7/10 for me

Dany scenes were a bit weak... should have mentioned the whole 'riding' thing and how if she's on top then she's riding him.

Anyways, onwards to...

Tyrion, Arya and Sansa ^____^ they're my favorite! Tyrion showed a lot of his personality here, Maisie Williams is superb! Also Sansa really gave me that same vibe I got from her in the 1st book... As an older sister myself, I though that Sansa was a real cunt for not standing up for her sister and for lying.

The 2nd half of the episode really did it for me... except I don't think that huge search party was really neccessary to find 1 little girl >.> I mean it took them until after sundown to find her!

I was mostly happy with the progression from Ep1, but like others have said I thought the Dany scenes didn't quite work.

They are doing a great job of making Tyrion a sympathetic character and thus creating some of the complexity of each House having its good eggs and bad eggs.

Marked it down one from Ep1, so it's 8 and 7 so far from me.

I like the Dany chapters in the books, but every damn scene of hers makes me cringe at the moment. Hell, even before her scene comes on screen, I'm internally thinking about the current scene elapsing and hoping one of hers doesn't follow. Makes me uncomfortable. The sooner her plot advances, the better.

I gave it an 8/10.

To people rating this 4 or 5 and thus "mediocre television", care to fill us in on what you consider "good television"?

Some of my favorite shows ever (thus by definition I must give them 8-10 ratings) are Rome, Deadwood, Star Trek:TOS, Star Trek:TNG, Firefly, Nip Tuck, and Torchwood. GOT so far is easily on par with any of those.

Edited by Fippy Darkpaw

This was a step down from the first episode for me. Many of the scenes felt awkward as was the editing. Peter Dinklage performance felt hammy. The sex / rape scenes are getting to be a bit too much. Not that I find it offensive, but there's only so many buttsex scenes I need to watch on a television show; there are ways to imply these things without having to shove it in our faces constantly. I agree with whoever said the Dany scenes are a bit weak, but then again they weren't the most interesting in the book either. The Dothraki are disappointing.

I felt like the first episode was a great introduction to an epic movie. This second one felt more like a tv show (which it is, apparently). 7/10.

Edited by johnny

I'm usually not one to post on forums, but this incredible book series brought to life in film inspired me to come to some sort of place to vent my feelings and have a voice.

Having read all the books so far four times over (I'm sure others out there have read them 6, 8, and 10 times over) I can say with confidence that I notice every little nuance and tittle that strays from the book. Things that don't precisely fit, or follow script by the book, or are out of place or don't feel right. But, the bottom line for me is this...

I think they've done an excellent job in capturing the essence of what I feel when I read Song of Ice and Fire. The depth, the emotions, the character of characters. I feel the same liking to all the characters in the movie that I felt when I read the books, and the same bitterness as well. Some of the acting feels a little forced and maybe, just maybe, over-done at times. But when I look at the grand scope of the acting and how well the actors seem to mesh together in this, it captures the special feelings I felt from day one when the first book hit shelves and I picked it up and read it.

I'm highly impressed. And for me, I'm happy about that. Because movies in the past have been written about books, and they've fallen so flat on their face, to me, that it made me sad I ever touched the first product to begin with... But I like Game of Thrones. I think Mr. Martin struck oil, gold, and coal with this HBO deal.

On to episode 2... I think it achieved a second height beyond what episode one did. I think the acting was over-all better, the script hit the key points of the book better, and the pivotal plot twists were executed very well. Of course, in some places it wasn't verbatim. But with the acting I saw it is forgivable to me. Episode two felt right... more than right, it felt good. From the love scene between Drogho and Daenerys to the execution of Lady by Lord Eddard Stark. Episode two captured the feelings and rekindled the fire I felt when reading Song of Ice and Fire.

Forgive me if I elaborated on too many things at once in this episode two thread. If the administrators or thread starter feel this post would be better placed somewhere else, or busted up into a couple pieces I will understand. Just now getting a feel for this forum thing. I only ask your patience... and a little feedback and debate would be welcome too. :)

Forgive me if I elaborated on too many things at once in this episode two thread. If the administrators or thread starter feel this post would be better placed somewhere else, or busted up into a couple pieces I will understand. Just now getting a feel for this forum thing. I only ask your patience... and a little feedback and debate would be welcome too. :)

Welcome to the forums :) ! And there's no problem with your post whatsoever.

I liked the second episode better than the first one. This is probably because of the fact that the main Introduction phase was done in episode one, and it felt a bit rushed, even though I have full understanding to why they had to mush in so much information in at once.

I do have a bit of problem with the sex scenes though, and I hope they don't let them take up so much time in future episodes. I know that some sex scenes are integral to the story, like the one between Cersei and Jamie in Ep 1, but some are unnessecary, like the one in the Winterfell Brothel (!?) with Tyrion. I understand this was used as an introduction to his character for people new to ASOIAF but it was a bit over the top, especially with Jamie shooing in four additional girls in the end of the scene. It felt like they had toned it down a bit in this episode which I thought was good, although I fear that they will make Danys ex-prostitute handmaiden a more important character than in the books for more scenes in which she educates Dany, or even when she has sex with Viserys (which is only mentioned in the books but will probably be an entire scene in the series)./rant

I do however feel that this series is just going to become better and better when the viewers will get to know the characters more, and watch the plot build up. But that requires a focused viewership from day 1.

Episode 1: 7/10

Episode 2: 8/10

Edited by Cold Pie

I've rated this one a 6. I felt it was weaker than the opening episode, although there were several scenes I loved, which redeemed it somewhat.

Negatives:

What's Peter Dinklage doing with his diction? He seems to over-enunciate every word, like a sixth-former 'doing' Shakespeare. I like him in the part, other than this, and I hope he tones it down a bit as he settles into the role.

I'm finding Kit Harington quite wooden; not enough of the sulky angst or simmering resentment I remember from the Jon Snow of the books. Kit spends much of the time looking faintly stunned and more than a little vacant.

Joffrey. I find it hard to believe that even naive Sansa would fall so completely under the spell of this horrid little squirt. It was plausible in the books because he was tallish for his age and storybook-handsome - she was able to remain blind to his true nature for quite some time. In the show he is just pure odious.

Small gripe, but I was disappointed not to hear Catelyn tell Jon that 'it should have been him.'

I felt the scene with Sansa, the Hound and Ilyn Payne was fumbled somewhat. It wasn't clear why she was frightened of either of them, particularly. Felt a bit rushed and stuck-in-there.

Theon :shocked: bad, bad casting.

Positives:

Both of the direwolf attacks were well done.

Sean Bean was the best thing in this episode, again. I hope the rest of the cast improve their game soon, because at the moment, he is carrying it for me, and that worries me.

Arya :thumbsup:

What's Peter Dinklage doing with his diction? He seems to over-enunciate every word, like a sixth-former 'doing' Shakespeare. I like him in the part, other than this, and I hope he tones it down a bit as he settles into the role.

Strange, I always imagine Tyrion to talk like that.

Joffrey. I find it hard to believe that even naive Sansa would fall so completely under the spell of this horrid little squirt. It was plausible in the books because he was tallish for his age and storybook-handsome - she was able to remain blind to his true nature for quite some time. In the show he is just pure odious.

I agree that they might have failed a bit with that, but I always had the impression that Sansa had a crush on him because of the fact that he was prince more than anything else.

Sean Bean was the best thing in this episode, again. I hope the rest of the cast improve their game soon, because at the moment, he is carrying it for me, and that worries me.

Arya :thumbsup:

Arya and Bean are great!