Poll: How would you rate Episode 102?

Kat

306 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best

I gave it a 7, while the first episode was a 6 for me. Maybe I have exceedingly high standards, maybe I was overly impressed with the books, but there you have it.

I'm beginning to really like some "things" about the show, though. Sean Bean as Ned was probably the first of them this episode.

These are astonishingly high ratings for being an internet poll. There's usually somone who gives the 1 vote in protest or whatever but here there's not a single vote of 5 or lower.

Ingmar! What's up man. Glad to see you posting on here.

i gave it a 4. might find that number a bit harsh when i re-watch it with friends tonight.

I gave it an 8 with some reservations. Just as in the book, I don't care much for the Daenerys storyline, though Viserys and Mormont are well-portrayed. Most of the other performances are good. Kit Harrington does not impress as Jon. I'm easily manipulated by sick kids and dying dogs, so the episode grabbed me viscerally, and finally something is starting to happen. Better than the first episode, which just seemed rushed.

Ep2 8/10.

I can't see how anyone could give a 6 or less rating. I mean... the casting is incredible, production is tip-top, and the story is - well it's GRRM. I suppose the adaptation is what's left, but even that is quite good. I think Game of Thrones will have a lot of 'sleeper' value.

Anyway, I'm thoroughly enjoying the HBO production. Ignore the gratuitous tits and it's almost LOTR does GRRM.

First off, I've enjoyed both episodes.

I gave this one an 80% (85% really) for three reasons: 1. Tyrion waking up in the dog pin is out of character for him and I didn't like that. 2. The lack Ghost I have a problem with. 3. The chick on chick thing with Dany and Darea was a waste of time. I'll take more story over more sex.

Very pleased over all.

So far, I think the acting has been superb. Just like the books, Sansa's a little shit, Catelyn is vaguely nuts, etc etc. I suppose Joffrey's actor could have looked a little more 13 than 11, to fit with Sansa looking older (she's tall as hell!), but that's a tiny nit. I think the Lannister twins have been absolutely flawless so far.

No spoilers, but they've done a great job of hinting at some of the deeper plotlines going on that will continue to come to light as the series progresses. My brother watched both with me (having never read the books), and directly asked me about something we've discussed ad nauseum over the years.

I disagree with the anti-Dany actress stuff so far. What a weird role to try to bring to film over ~10 minutes of screen time so far, but I feel like her interactions with Drogo, Viserys, and Doreah have been very good at developing their characters with such limited time.

My biggest complaint is totally petty; I feel like the Hound should look more imposing, scratchy voiced, and brutal.

I give it 8 out of 10 (8.5 if it were possible). When re-watching on DVR I fast-forwarded through the Catelyn/Cersei and Detective Catelyn scenes every time, just couldn't bear to watch them again. Wasn't a big fan of Tyrion waking up with the dogs instead of reading all night, and not sure how I feel about the Jon/Jaime scene, but I loved everything else. The farewells were poignant and the Kingsroad scenes were done about as well as I could have hoped (barring Ser Ilyn Payne who looks comical instead of deathly frightening). Sean Bean is so good as Ned Stark!!

I gave it a 7, gave the first episode an 8.

As far as storyline and acting, I thought everything was superb. Tyrion was excellent, and Arya once again was my favorite.

That being said, I found the editing/pacing to be a little off. They did a much better job of that in the first episode. There were some scenes that I felt lingered too long and became uncomfortable. I hate it when that happens, everyone is just standing around trying to look dramatic. It works for a slit second, but if the camera lingers it just starts to look posed.

If they were better with the editing they might be able to fit a whole other scene in! OK, maybe not, but it would still help with the pacing.

I also still don't care for Jon Snow, his acting seems a little wooden to me.

I've heard this is the weakest of the first 6 episodes though, so if a 7 is the lowest number this season gets, well, that would be awesome!

I find it hard to rate this show. I'm clearly more entertained by this than most other TV but I'm also more critical to what I watch than I am with things I haven't already read (any comparisons to what's been left in or cut out should be irrelevant). I also prefer to rate entire seasons when we're dealing with a continuing plot and not individual episodes. If I tried it might reach a 9, primarily strengthened by the acting of some fantastic scenes.

I keep seeing things that increase my surprise on that several critics said that the second episode is the worst. Not only do I think it's better than the first, the second episode has been what has made every non-reader I've gotten to watch the show be completely enthralled by it (they really liked the first as well but this was when they got truly sold).

7.5/8

I liked the Lannisters in this episode the most. The banter between Cersei, Jaime and Tyrion at the table was top-notch and I liked the little look Tyrion give Jaime and Cersei when they were looking between one another following the mention that Bran might live.

I happen to like how Dinklage speaks too. He makes Tyrion sound noble and posh sounding which I think fits the character well, given he has has to be devious and eloquent to stand out more.

Arya's actress is very good.

Personal grievances:

No Barristan and Renly during the scene where Ned finds Arya in the hall. I always liked the Renly piss-taking bit where he makes fun of the name of Joffrey's sword (Lion's Tooth).

Joffrey seems a bit... I don't know... off in places. The bit where Tyrion hits him, he's fine. The bit where he's talking about Ilyn Payne to Sansa and he goes to touch her seemed a little wooden.

Edited by Tywin

A solid 8. Overall very good, but still feel off in some places. When you go back to watch the first season of a tv series with a few years under its belt, the first season (sometimes two) invariably seems a bit awkward compared with the later ones. Some shows that turned into classics, such as Seinfeld and Star Trek: The Next Generation, have first season episodes that are painful to watch (in retrospect) and you wonder how they got a second season approved. The point being, I'm thrilled that we have this kind of quality in the first few episodes of the first season. It should only get better from here as the actors get comfortable with their characters, and the directors and editors get a better feel for tone and pacing and so forth. They're not there yet, but there's few really glaring problems for me.

Watching the series also has forced me to examine the books more critically, and although they are still by far my favorite books, I have to admit they aren't perfect either. There's sections that drag too much or don't feel relevant or authentic, things I would have spent more time with or cut out. Being slavishly dedicated to the book is definitely not a good way to go (Harry Potter movies went that route and suffered for it IMO). As long as they get the spirit of it right I'll be happy and take it on its own merits, and so far they've succeeded.

A solid 8. Overall very good, but still feel off in some places. When you go back to watch the first season of a tv series with a few years under its belt, the first season (sometimes two) invariably seems a bit awkward compared with the later ones. Some shows that turned into classics, such as Seinfeld and Star Trek: The Next Generation, have first season episodes that are painful to watch (in retrospect) and you wonder how they got a second season approved. The point being, I'm thrilled that we have this kind of quality in the first few episodes of the first season. It should only get better from here as the actors get comfortable with their characters, and the directors and editors get a better feel for tone and pacing and so forth. They're not there yet, but there's few really glaring problems for me.

I'd say the difference between an adaptation and an original creation is responsible for a series finding its legs in the second or third season. ST:TNG, Seinfeld and the example I would have used - Babylon 5 don't have the built-in advantage GoT has. GRRM has already created fully-envisioned characters. In those other shows, the characters are still somewhat blank slates.

But in general I am happy with the show and think things will get better and are already pretty damned good.

Edited by Bronn Stone

Throwing out the top and bottom 5%, I get an average of 8.2 for this episode (first episode average was 7.8).

Thanks for doing the tallying so we don't have to. :)

This was a powerful episode. It had some real action-packed, exciting moments (eg - Bran's direwolf scene) that were missing last week. A lot of critics are commenting on how powerful the ending - Ned's killing Lady - was. I'm glad that this scene struck a chord with non-readers, because I think it sets the tone for the series and offers a taste of what's to come. Since it resonated well, so should the rest of the series, if properly executed. My personal favorite scene was the Jon-Cat interchange in Bran's room; I found the music really powerful and the entire experience very exemplifying of the grit and bleakness that define this series.

I'm really pleased/relieved that they're sticking close to the source material.

Agree with the general sentiment that the casting is a little off. Theon seems too skinny, Cersei seems too old and Jamie looks like a soap opera character. Ah, well. It was never going to be perfect. I'm torn between anger that it's being somewhat mistreated and just being grateful that it exists as a television series at all.

Will they make it to A Dream Of Spring? Probably not. But it's enough that they try.

• 4 weeks later...

The series is definitely growing on me, I loved the first episode but it did suffer from pacing issues. Looking forward to watching episode 3 at some point today, like the book the series has a slow start, but when things start to get going, they don't stop.

It deserves an 8/10 for superb acting, set design and Peter Dinklage.