[BOOK SPOILERS] Sandor's face

Sandor_Clegane

Hi everyone-

This is my first post, but I have been lurking for a while. Love all the discussions.

So I have enjoyed the adaptation so far that HBO has come out with. A few changes here and there, but the core story I believe is being driven to the audience very nicely. Now one of those "few changes" I noticed, and I am not by any means as knowledgeable as others, is Sandor's face. I believe in the books it’s the left side of his face that is burnt. But yet, in the HBO series it’s the right side. Am I wrong in this? And if I am right, then why the change? Why would they change something so simple? (although I am well aware they did change "A Game of Thrones" to "Game of Thrones")

Sorry if this was posted in the wrong spot.

Thanks in advance for the thoughts!

Why would they change something so simple?

There was a post about this a couple weeks back. The answer was something to the effect that they scarred up the right side because that's the first place the human eye looks when studying a face. Or something. Anyway, it was a conscious decision by the design team based on some sort of logical basis.

They haven't even been completely consistent within the show. The makeup for the Hound's scars looks quite different between episode 1 and 2 (better in 2, imho - in ep1, he looks like some wierd elephantiasis victim)

The scene at the end of ep. 1 including the Hound and Tyrion was taken from the original pilot - thus the difference. And yes, his makeup is much better now.

I think the Hound's face as described in the books would have been over the top on-screen, and probably would have looked ludricrous and completely fake. There's one shot of his burned face in the scene with Joffrey and Tyrion that shows the burns pretty well, but otherwise they haven't really emphasized it so far, perhaps in anticipation of revealing more in his scene with Sansa at the tournament. Episode 4, I think?

I think the Hound's face as described in the books would have been over the top on-screen, and probably would have looked ludricrous and completely fake. There's one shot of his burned face in the scene with Joffrey and Tyrion that shows the burns pretty well, but otherwise they haven't really emphasized it so far, perhaps in anticipation of revealing more in his scene with Sansa at the tournament. Episode 4, I think?

Yes, I also think that they will play it up more when it's necessary and don't just highlight it in every scene, which would water it out a bit. And there's definitely plenty of reason not to overdo it since, as an example, The Dark Knight's Two Face was just ridiculous. The Hound's scars in the show looks far more realistic.

I have to admit, I was rather disappointed by the Hound's makeup in general. Maybe I was mentally exaggerating, but in the books I always pictured it being much more significant and disfiguring...

And what about Tyrion? Do you think their should have been the worlds ugliest small person put in the role to better fit the book?

And what about Tyrion? Do you think their should have been the worlds ugliest small person put in the role to better fit the book?

No. Other than the mismatched eyes, I always put his ugliness up to prejudice. I could be wrong, of course. The Hound's disfigurement was described in great detail. I understand the above statements about making it look right on film. It just wasn't what I personally pictured.

Meh.... I think the guy playing the hound is pretty good i guess. I remember watching some of his audition or something a year or so ago and thought he was good then. I think he was alot better cast then Ser Ilyn. Yikes! Stripes! I guess that it must be hard to find a large-ish man with a frightening visage who also has no tongue? All I know is that I wasn't scared of that for a second.

• 2 months later...

Meh.... I think the guy playing the hound is pretty good i guess. I remember watching some of his audition or something a year or so ago and thought he was good then. I think he was alot better cast then Ser Ilyn. Yikes! Stripes! I guess that it must be hard to find a large-ish man with a frightening visage who also has no tongue? All I know is that I wasn't scared of that for a second.

Rory McCann is fabulous -- actually the biggest difference I anticipate is the voice, not the face. The Hound's voice is always described as very raspy, like a saw going through wood, or a sword on steel. Rory McCann has a very deep, gorgeous voice, and I'm hoping they let him keep it for the show and don't try to alter it somehow to fit with the book description. Sounds like he's had to lose most of that beautiful Scottish accent, unfortunately, but I like change in voice. Now if we could just hear it more!!! The Hound is a personal favorite and I would like him to get some more screen time in S2.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree ... the description in the book sounds a bit more horrifying than I would ever want to see on television. At one point (book 1? When the Hound tells his story to Sansa -- he goes down on one knee in front of her or something so she can clearly see his face) his face is described as blackened and oozing, and in one part of his face his bone is showing. I don't know how a human being would be able to function with exposed bone, and open oozing wounds imply that the burn happened recently instead of a decade earlier when he was a child. I think the show makeup fits much more closely with an older burn injury than the book description, and I do NOT need Sandor Clegane to look like a zombie! :stillsick:

Okay, I'm trying to be better about posting source material instead of paraphrasing, so I looked it up! GOT Sansa POV number ... oh why don't these books have Tables of Contents?!

The left side of his face was a ruin. His ear had been burned away; there was nothing left but a hole. His eye was still good, but all around it was a twisted mass of scar, slick black flesh hard as leather, pocked with craters and fissured by deep cracks that gleamed red and wet when he moved. Down by his jaw, you could see a hint of bone where the flesh had been seared away.

Rory McCann is fabulous -- actually the biggest difference I anticipate is the voice, not the face. The Hound's voice is always described as very raspy, like a saw going through wood, or a sword on steel. Rory McCann has a very deep, gorgeous voice, and I'm hoping they let him keep it for the show and don't try to alter it somehow to fit with the book description. Sounds like he's had to lose most of that beautiful Scottish accent, unfortunately, but I like change in voice. Now if we could just hear it more!!! The Hound is a personal favorite and I would like him to get some more screen time in S2.

Pity they didn't give him a West Country accent though... Just imagine if any person from Westeros would watch the show* they would complain that the actor has a mild Wildling accent and that he needs a Westerlands accent. Lol.

*Because in the 844 in Westeros "A Game of Thrones" is a historical drama akin to the Tudors.

Archived