Glimpses from Anne Groell

Ran

Over at Facebook, Anne Groell is videoed with the manuscript of A Dance with Dragons. She goes through some pages, randomly reading lines from it. Here's what I made out from it:

• First line of the prologue, which we know features Varamyr Sixskins.
  • A Tyrion chapter concerning greyscale (the disease Shireen was afflicted by).
  • A chapter concerning wildlings at the Wall, presumably a Jon chapter.
  • Something I couldn't place, about someone with a brother who fled King’s Landing after Joffrey’s death (I assume they mean Joff's death, and not Robert's or [this is very far-fetched, but one can't rule it out I guess] Tommen's).
  • Ramsay Bolton making threats at Winterfell, which I'm guessing is from a "Reek" chapter.
  • Victarion Greyjoy being informed of a ship with black sails sailing alone. I think the name of the ship is given, but I can't place it. I swear, it sounds like 'Grease', but that seems unlikely. Got it, it's Grief. There's something about him thinking about 54, and only one alone... a suggestion that this was the lone survivor of 54 ships that sailed with his fleet? Did a storm blow the Iron Fleet to pieces?

Oh, and they removed that video, but they've added a new one. Three new bits there:

• Pg. 452 Tyrion playing a game with a thin man, apparently at an inn or something.
  • Pg. 958: More about Ramsay's man-at-arms being killed, called Yellow Dick. Clearly right before the example from earlier.
  • Pg. 1256: Something regarding Yunkai, a man crushed in the press after everyone ran in panic from a dragon.

[*] Something I couldn't place, about someone with a brother who fled King’s Landing after Joffrey’s death (I assume they mean Joff's death, and not Robert's or [this is very far-fetched, but one can't rule it out I guess] Tommen's).

I'm thinking Tommen, which means Maggie's prophesy comes true.

I think i;ve got them more or less right, except the last one. Hope its ok to transcribe.

The first one is

"The night was rank with the smell of man" (Prologue)

then

"His grey kiss (?) made his flesh crawl. Death had lost its terror for Tyrion Lannister, but Greyscale was another matter." (Tyrion!)

and

"The free folk were no different than the men of the nights watch. Some were clean, some were dirty, but most were clean at times and dirty at other times. The stink was just the smell of thousands of people jammed into cellars and tunnels meant to house no more than a hundred"

(Jon? He's already familiar with the wildlings though. Sam? Davos? Dosen't sound like I imagined Mel, but maybe she turns out to have a dry sense of humour. Its not at Castle Black either, right? That must have room in the tunnels for more than 100.)

followed by

"We left Kings Landing that very night, my brother said it was for the best, before someone wondered if we had any part in the King's death and decided to torture us to find out." (Which Kings death? Joff? Who has a brother and left town that night? A Kettleblack maybe? Dosen't sound like them.)

and

"By midday most of Winterfell had heard, mainly from the lips of Ramsay Bolton, whose boy Yellow Dick had been (?), "When we find the man who did this," Lord Ramsay promised, "I will flay the skin off of him and cook it crisp as crackling and make him eat it. Every Bite."" (Nasty! Is it a Theon POV? Sounds like hes at least on speaking terms with the population of winterfell, which seems like a stretch.)

I found this link on twitter:

You wanted proof? Editor Anne Groell talks about receiving the GRRM manuscript in this video http://on.fb.me/jE0Gr4

The lines being read seem to be different in parts than those transcribed above. Perhaps the lines before or after those above on some pages?

The youtube clip is different from the facebook clip, seemingly filmed on a different day entirely, at least from the one I saw earlier. (This one isn't working for me either.) Though Yellow Dick comes up in both.

I found the movie on youtube:

OMG, this is different, with different random readings. I wonder if they pulled the first one, because it revealed something that they didn't want revealed.

The youtube clip is different from the facebook clip, seemingly filmed on a different day entirely, at least from the one I saw earlier. (This one isn't working for me either.) Though Yellow Dick comes up in both.

You are probably going through a proxy server that stores old files. This is allowing you to see the old file, before they deleted it. At some point the deletion will propagate down.

Okay, the lone ship Victarion sees is Grief -- it's one of the ships named in his first AFfC chapter.

Boy, it sure sounds like the Iron Fleet has fallen apart (probably due to storms in the narrow sea). The ironborn may be playing a very different role in Meereen than some previously envisioned, if their force is so devastated.

The last word starts with a "D" but she won't say it. Hmmm.

Dragonfire?

Or perhaps "Dragonrider"

Probably too much to hope for:

"...and Daenerys set foot on the shores of Dorne."

:)

Archived