Glimpses from Anne Groell

Ran

I took the liberty of transcribing the second video as well:

p. 492 - Which game?, Tyrion might have asked. He climbed up onto the chair. "I play better with a full belly and a cup of wine to hand." The thin man turned obligingly and called for the slave girls to fetch some food and drink.

(Given how far into the book this is, I'm guessing that this is either Volantis or some place further east.)

p. 958 - This one could not be waived away as some drunken tumble or kick of a horse. The dead man was one of Ramsay's favorites, a squat, scrupulous ill-favored man-at-arms called Yellow Dick.

(Hard to imagine Ramsay liking a scrupulous man-at-arms, but that's what I heard.)

p. 1256 - "Ancient tidings. I saw him die. The poor man saw a dragon and stumbled as he tried to flee. Then a thousand of his closest friends stepped on him. No doubt the Yellow City is awash in tears. Did you ask me here to toast his memory?"

(This makes things a little more clear. "The poor man" didn't necessarily die in Yunkai; he was just well known there.)

Nobody but Griff knows who Tyrion is (Tyrion II), I think that he might be assuming the identity of one of the dwarf mummers at the feast. So I think that reference about the death of the King is coming from there.

As for the rest, I am very excited about a Victarion chapter - though I am not entirely surprised.

And it seems like Theon is with Ramsay a lot longer than I expected!

Has there been any indications of the number of chapters per character for the next book?

Very interesting that they're back at Winterfell. I thought the castle would be all but abandoned until a Stark comes back to rebuild it.
Also, 'Lord' Ramsay? An honorific or is Roose dead?

The reason for marrying fake Arya to Ramsay was for him to claim Winterfell. I'm assuming the book quote refers to Ramsay after Ramsay marries fake Arya. It happens 2/3rds or so of the way through the book, so it's perhaps late enough in the story. Ramsay becomes 'Lord' of Winterfell through his marriage and moves in. Certainly there are plenty of Stark loyalists still in the North that would be happy to slowly kill off Ramsay's men and Ramsay himself. From the line that was read, it also seems that whoever is doing it is trying to make many of the deaths look like accidents, like Jaqen did at Harrenhal. However, the killer(s) are either getting more bold or simply failed to make Yellow Dick's death look like an accident.

Possible killers?

1. A not completely trained faceless girl, the real Arya, returned from Braavos to try to copy Jaqen while getting vengeance for the Starks.

2. Theon/Reek himself trying to redeem himself of his guilt in his own eyes while getting a bit of vengeance against Ramsay.

3. Any other Stark loyalist servants or a group of them. [edited to add] Perhaps the same killer that was killing Theon's men when he tried to rule Winterfell in ACOK? Theon executed Farlen for it and the killings stopped, but these sound similar, so it seems there's a parallel there. No one proved Farlen guilty.

Very interesting, anyway.

Did the Crow's Eye give Victarion the Horn

:stunned:

Oh, the dragon horn? No, that's not mentioned. Euron reports that the guy who blew the horn has died, then asks Victarion to go to Slaver's Bay and he says yes. I assumed Euron gave him the dragon horn because if he didn't, he has no hold or influence over Daenerys at all.

Possible killers?

1. A not completely trained faceless girl, the real Arya, returned from Braavos to try to copy Jaqen while getting vengeance for the Starks.

2. Theon/Reek himself trying to redeem himself of his guilt in his own eyes while getting a bit of vengeance against Ramsay.

3. Any other Stark loyalist servants or a group of them. [edited to add] Perhaps the same killer that was killing Theon's men when he tried to rule Winterfell in ACOK? Theon executed Farlen for it and the killings stopped, but these sound similar, so it seems there's a parallel there. No one proved Farlen guilty.

Very interesting, anyway.

It was heavily implied in one of Theon's PoV that his men that were murdered was in fact killed by Theon and maybe Ramsay to keep them from talking about how Theon actually killed the millers boys rather than Bran and Rickon. Farlen was just executed as a cover.

Depending on timeline issues and what happens elsewhere in the North, Asha could also be a possiblity for the killer. She could have infiltrated Ramsay's bagage-train and is killing of Ramsay's trusted men as part of some plan to spring Theon.

Oh, the dragon horn? No, that's not mentioned. Euron reports that the guy who blew the horn has died, then asks Victarion to go to Slaver's Bay and he says yes. I assumed Euron gave him the dragon horn because if he didn't, he has no hold or influence over Daenerys at all.

Equally Euron won the Kingsmoot because of the dragon horn, so giving up the dragon horn to his brother is effectively giving up his ace. I totally see your point, though I don't think either decision by Euron would make a lot of sense with regards to the horn.

I think the mount to dread is going to have something to do with Greyscale though as opposed to brutishness.

""We left Kings Landing that very night, my brother said it was for the best, before someone wondered if we had any part in the King's death and decided to torture us to find out." (Which Kings death? Joff? Who has a brother and left town that night? A Kettleblack maybe? Dosen't sound like them.)"

Brothers of the kingsguard? Jaime POV? Jaime sent his brother away...?

The point about the horn really is the confusing thing about Victarion's mission and his capability of betrayal. If Euron gave him the horn, and if Victarion is going to find a way to make it work, then he could steal Daenerys' dragons, and make her his slave. Technically, I think, that would be the way Victarion would prefer. He is not the type of man who would subject to a woman, not even to get his revenge on Euron. But of course, he would most certainly be doomed, if he is going to make both Euron and Dany his enemies.

Without the horn - or with the horn and with no idea how to use it - Victarion is just going to be a suitor with a fleet, come to offer said fleet in exchange for her hand.

I'm still rather unsure that this horn really is a horn to control dragons. At least not if it always kills the guy who blows it.

Ramsay Bolton has been made Lord of Winterfell back in ASoS or AFfC. After Tyrion was convicted and Sansa disappeared, the Lannisters had no longer a claim to Winterfell. But Ramsay had, through fake Arya Stark. So King Tommen gave Winterfell to Ramsay Bolton - but despite that, Roose Bolton is still the Lord of the Dreadfort and Warden of the North. Winterfell would be now in Bolton hands, but it is no longer be the major seat of the North, as the Warden of the North rules the North from the Dreadfort. And if Roose is going to father children on Fat Walda, they would inherit the Dreadfort and the North, not Ramsay's children with fake Arya. It is similar to the situation in the Riverlands. Riverrun no longer is the major seat of the region, Harrenhal is.

I really do hope Melisandre is not going to burn Shireen. Back in ASoS Stannis tells Davos quite convincingly that his first duty is not to the Realm but to his daughter. He would really become completely twisted to do that. He would destroy his own future and show himself and the world that he was not only not the true King, but not even a father. He would have to become a tyrant and rule only with fear to stay in power. He would be much worse than the Freys in my opinion.

Last word is obviously "dildo". That's why she can't say it. It's a bit rude.

The bros who fled KL after a King's death. My guess is Aerys, and it's some homies Tyrion or Quentyn are meeting up with across the Narrow Sea. Possibly some suckaz who joined the Golden Company.

I don't buy Tommen dying; it seems to come too early in the book. If Ran's order in the OP is how it was read (and unfortunately I can't check since the video seems to be gone) then the scene happens before the Yellow Dick stuff, which we know is on page 958. That's only about 60% of the way through the book, and we're supposed to catch up to AFFC at about the halfway mark. For Tommen to be dead by that point, he'd have to die pretty much right after AFFC ended, and that doesn't seem likely.

Victarion's stuff is the most interesting. He recognizes the ship, and it's not the Silence, but it does have black sails. I still think that either Euron is on the ship or it was sent by him.

Victarion's stuff is the most interesting. He recognizes the ship, and it's not the Silence, but it does have black sails. I still think that either Euron is on the ship or it was sent by him.

Black sails = black bros? Do the Night's Watch have ships? I don't know. Thinking this could be the Crow and the Kraken right hurr.

Archived