Glimpses from Anne Groell

Ran

Don't really care about the last word. I just want to read the pages that have those quotes.

I'm right there with you. I'm interested in seeing the context surrounding those quotes, and where the spoiler chapters and readings from GRRM fit in.

To your earlier question about the map being updated based on the HBO map, I don't know if we can take the HBO map as canonical. GRRM has said that the map in aDwD will have a full view of the Free Cities, so I'm stoked to get a look at that because I still have questions about distances between them all and their relation to Westeros.

I really hope we eventually have a map of the enbtire world, or at least the known world.

Is the mystery of the last word gnawing at anyone so bad that when you get the book you flip right to the back to see what it is? I only ask because I think it's kinda funny how much specualtion has gone on regarding what the last word starting with a D could be. To me, it doesn't matter what the last word is without knowing every word that comes before.

See, that's the thing. Seemingly one word wouldn't be much of a spoiler but the way the editor reacted there are only two possibilities. The first, is that she's simply playing with us. The second is that the word in question really would be a spoiler within the context of it being the final word in the book.

See, that's the thing. Seemingly one word wouldn't be much of a spoiler but the way the editor reacted there are only two possibilities. The first, is that she's simply playing with us. The second is that the word in question really would be a spoiler within the context of it being the final word in the book.

Also...well, its the last word. It would have really annoyed me to know it, even though i;m not picky about spoilrs and have happily devoured everything else. Knowing the last sentence, or even word, is just wrong somehow, even if its something utterly generic like Doorknob or Dumplings or what have you. I'm really glad she didn't say it, becuase even watching the clip, as she was about to, I discovered I didn't have the willpower to turn away.

Oh, another idea what the last word might be: door – as in “the house with the red door”.

It being the last word doesn’t mean much in and of itself; it might be something as trivial as down. There would be no harm in knowing that.

Oh, another idea what the last word might be: door – as in “the house with the red door”.

It being the last word doesn’t mean much in and of itself; it might be something as trivial as down. There would be no harm in knowing that.

If Groell was being tricksy when saying the last word started with a D but was too spoilerific to speak, then speculation as to what it is becomes not very relevant. Only if she was telling the truth AND we can guess it do we learn something worth knowing. That's why I like two of my offerings 'dragonrider' and 'dragonslayer'. Each of those would have given away a LOT of information.

I acknowledge that 'Dorne' could be an alternative that is mildly spoiler-y, but that is the only one I saw with what I felt was a reasonably strong case.

If Ms. Groell had said the last word of the novel was 'door', I am not even sure that the house with the red door would have been in the top three most commonly mentioned reconstructions of the sentence. I'd personally have thought the Nightfort the most likely locale.

So far, the possibilities I like are:

Dragonstone, Dorn, dragonrider, dragonslayer, and dracarys.

I can see them all being somewhat of a spoiler. Dragonstone and Dorn because they give out locations; dragonrider and dragonslayer because the very words are spoilers; and dracarys because it could mean that the very end of the book has Daenerys calling on her dragons to attack.

We know of one other character to use Black Sails: Davos. What if Manderley and Davos find out about Danny and her Dragons? Or what if Stannis does? Wouldn't Davos be the best captian for them to send as an envoy to Danny? If Davos is going to Danny then his death could more easily be faked.

I know the sounds crazy. But what would Stannis and Mel do if they found out about Danny and her dragons? What Manderley do? What would Davos do?

I am excited for ADWD. It sounds awesome.

We know of one other character to use Black Sails: Davos. What if Manderley and Davos find out about Danny and her Dragons? Or what if Stannis does? Wouldn't Davos be the best captian for them to send as an envoy to Danny? If Davos is going to Danny then his death could more easily be faked.

I know the sounds crazy. But what would Stannis and Mel do if they found out about Danny and her dragons? What Manderley do? What would Davos do?

I am excited for ADWD. It sounds awesome.

Part of me thinks Stannis will give up the crown and accept Dany as the legitimate ruler. Not easily, but once he sees that she is both the best person to fight the Others (via dragons) and that she is more likely to unify the realm. Also, I suspect Melssiandre would ditch him at that point.

Part of me thinks Stannis will give up the crown and accept Dany as the legitimate ruler. Not easily, but once he sees that she is both the best person to fight the Others (via dragons) and that she is more likely to unify the realm. Also, I suspect Melssiandre would ditch him at that point.

I think if Stannis lives to the point that Dany comes and makes good on her claim he would be torn on whether to step aside for her or not. I think he would realize she is the rightful heir being a Targaryen, but at the same time would be conflicted because she is a woman. Dornish law may make her the rightful ruler of the realm without question, but Stannis doesn't go by Dornish law.

All that being said, I don't think he makes it to that point. I'm calling Stannis as dead by the end of aDwD, or at the latest first quarter tWoW... I don't think Dany makes the Westeros appearance until at least halfway through tWoW, but that is just the guess of an person with the limited info we all have at the moment. CAn't wait till this comes out to see how wrong, or right, I am.

Any reconciliation between Daenerys and Stannis goes directly against the implications of the prophecy at the House of the Undying which makes it seem as if Stannis will be one of her bigger obstacles. Personally, I favor him turning into the Night's King. I think the Others have to be personified someway and this looks the best option to me.

Any reconciliation between Daenerys and Stannis goes directly against the implications of the prophecy at the House of the Undying which makes it seem as if Stannis will be one of her bigger obstacles. Personally, I favor him turning into the Night's King. I think the Others have to be personified someway and this looks the best option to me.

I didn't mean he would step aside for her, just that he'd be torn on whether to or not if it came to it.

Refresh my memory though, which part of the Undying prophecy are you referencing to Stannis being one of her biggest obstacles. I do think it would be cool if Stannis becomes a wight, or through Mel's shadow babymaking becomes something less than human... and had to be put down by Jon, or Dany, or both.

Refresh my memory though, which part of the Undying prophecy are you referencing to Stgannis being one of her biggest obstacles.

Slayer of lies, I suppose.

(Though I think it more likely it refers to Melisandre.)

How I read the prophecy:

Glowing like sunset, a red sword was raised in the hand of a blue-eyed king who cast no shadow (i.e., Stannis Baratheon).

A cloth dragon swayed on poles amidst a cheering crowd (i.e., some shenanigans involving the Golden Company and/or Jon Connington trying to pass off a fake Targaryen that Daenerys will not accept).

From a smoking tower, a great stone beast took wing, breathing shadow fire (i.e., what you get for burning Shireen alive)

. . . mother of dragons, slayer of lies (i.e., Daenerys).

'Slayer of Lies' most likely also refers to Stannis (i.e. the blue-eyed King without shadow), but it does not necessarily mean that they have to be mortal enemies. Dany might just 'slay' the concept of him being Azor Ahai because she is really Azor Ahai. End of story.

On the cloth dragon we agree as well, but the during the actual prophecy, were the phrase 'mummer's dragon' is not actual spoken, it's still kind of ambiguous if this will be a false Targaryen pretender, or just another real Targaryen who happens to have a better claim then Dany but no real power (i.e. dragons of his own).

As things have developed I'd not be surprised if the stone dragon vision would be reduced to a possible future only. I don't see Stannis burning Shireen, nor do I see Melisandre having the power to control a magically animates stone dragon on Dragonstone over a distance of thousands of miles.

That future disappeared when Davos got Edric away from Dragonstone and Stannis decided to go North.

Archived