Glimpses from Anne Groell

Ran

There weren't any survivors from Winterfell, he's probably talking about whatever soldiers and workers were sent there by the Boltons.

Several of the women from Winterfell were taken captive and are being held at the Dreadfort. They are listed in the Appendix to aFfC - either under the Stark entry, or wherever Roose Bolton is now listed.

I think the last word is "Down", a word that is highly spoilerish because everybody would link this to the "fall of the Wall"...

I don't buy it. "Down" could come up in a thousand contexts. "Sansa stood at the Gates of the Moon, watching as the snow fell down." "Davos took an arrow to the chest, and just like that, he was down." "'Is that a new pillow?' Alleras asked. 'Oh yes,' said Sam with pride, 'It's filled with goose down.'"

I don't buy it. "Down" could come up in a thousand contexts. "Sansa stood at the Gates of the Moon, watching as the snow fell down." "Davos took an arrow to the chest, and just like that, he was down." "'Is that a new pillow?' Alleras asked. 'Oh yes,' said Sam with pride, 'It's filled with goose down.'"

Yes but if Anne would have said "the last word is down" everybody would have immediately thought to "wall fall down".

Yes but if Anne would have said "the last word is down" everybody would have immediately thought to "wall fall down".

I don't think so. I think that would have been one of many theories proposed, and a lot of people would have said that "down" could have been used in a lot of contexts. Hence it wouldn't be a spoiler.

It could also just be her messing with us. it could something that's not even spoilerish.

Honestly, that is my bet. I think Anne just did it to leave us in suspense. Not because it is this huge spoiler-y word that would give away huge plot points.

I agree she's probably just messing with us. After all, no matter what the word actually is, it's not a spoiler, its not giving anything away. Say its 'Doom.' Or, dragon, Dreadfort, dickwad, darling, dummy, dope, Dany, dribble etc etc etc. Without the context of a full sentence, the word itself is pretty meaningless. Ah, but with a full last sentence, whole different issue! Like this...

'King (Stannis/Renly/Jon/Littlefinger/Jaime One-Hand, whomever), greetings. My name is Queen Danaerys.'

Or, this..

'My Lords and Ladies,' intoned the weeping page as a dreadful hush fell over the assembly, 'I fear that (whoever-somebody insanely important and shocking to us) is, at last, dead.'

The last sentence would give it away, but just the last word does not. She's messing with us.

It is known.

Yeah, and I think Werthead was on the right track about the last word being "Dorne."

I'm trying to think what other word starting with a D, that we already know, would be spoilerish within the context of it being the single final word in the book.

Dragonstone?

When I first heard her say this I instantly thought that this was Margaerey speaking of fleeing with Loras after the death of Tommen. Simply because I could not think of any other characters that fleed after the death of Joffrey or Robert.

My first thought was Maergery too, but that means Tommen is dead. At what point between Margaery's arrest and Tommen's death did she get released and reunite with Loras who was still injured to the point of near death in Dragonstone?

This is the one I'm most interested in. I'm gonna hazard that they don't mean Robert or Aerys, which means it has to be Joff or, possibly, Tommen. Even if Tommen does die in the book though, that sentence sounds like its referring to something not in the immediate past and Tommen can't die until after ADWD catches up to AFFC, which last I heard was past the mid-way point. So I'm gonna say Joff.

Now I don't think any noble had to fear arbitrary torture at the time, Cersei didn't have total control, and it sounds like this person does fear that, so I think it has to be some commoner; possibly a cook or serving person at the wedding. Someone in a position where they would have had an opportunity to poison Joff, and so perhaps cause people to wonder.

If that's true, the question becomes where would such people flee and who could possibly run into a commoner and have them talk frankly to them. I think there are only two, Arya and Brienne. Of the two I say Brienne is the far more likely. Now this does have two unfortunate implications 1) she's still alive, and 2) she's still a POV, but I think all signs point to her.

I'd guess King Joffrey, and maybe it's a cover story for some Kings Landing "recruits" for the Nights Watch arriving at the Wall (really agents of the Queen there to kill LC Snow).

Ohhhhh snap! That would be a sweet ending!!!!!

I am not sure if she will get that far, but it would be awesome if she sees Dragonstone as the last page!

Yeah, I like the symmetry... Danaerys born on Dragonstone, her first home, and then returns Dragonstone as her first foothold on Westeros.

Archived