Episode 3 Clips

Westeros

Isn't that not actually also Ned's POV in the books? Even Ned knew that someone had to kill Aerys, and as a Stark he would have done it himself, but cannot accept that a KG betrays his oath to do that - also due to the fact that he does his own killing (and thus also his own dirty work, at least to a degree).

Oh, and by the way, is the whole business about the Iron Throne becoming a topic in the series as well? Ned and Jaime's confrontation back then with Jaime sitting on the Iron Throne would explain the tension between them.

Yeah, I recall something like "it would have been mine or Robert's to do," but perhaps Robert says that to Ned. This particular scene has shades of that scene between Jamie and Catelyn when Jamie is their captive. Jamie believes it was justice, and it was, in many ways.

Not sure about the Iron Throne scene, but I hope it's in there.

It also seems to me, and always has ever since I first read the details of Jaime's killing of the mad king, that Jaime did show a kind of honor there. He did what had to be done, no matter the cost to himself and his reputation-- he slew a mad monster, in defiance of his oath to protect that monster. Its the one part in all Ned's long and honorable life that I would argue he's very wrong about. I guess I see it in the same light as the actions of Field Marshall Rommel, a brilliant and loyal 'warrior' ultimately taking part in trying to kill Hitler, to whom he owed all fealty.

Actually Rommel didn't take part in the conspiration against Hitler, but he was aware of it and didn't report it.

I'm kinda amazed that so many people have such a positive view of Jaime's actions.

Ned's point is that Jaime is overcome by his conscience to act for "justice" and honour when rebels are over the walls of the kings castle. Jaime is complicit in all Aery's atrocities up to the moment it means his own life to continue serving him and his king is powerless to punish him. Not only does he break the holiest of oaths, he appears to be a physical and moral coward as well.

That Jaime/Eddard scene was good. Reminded me of watching Omar and Bunk squaring off in The Wire, where both actors fundamentally get there characters and just feed off each other to make the tension spring off the screen at you. Deadwood had those moment too. Can't wait for more.

The book Jaime didn't give a damn about Brandon or Rickard Stark. He considered the way they died an atrocity, but it was the same with Lord Chelsted, and other as of yet unknown people Aerys had burned. Jaime saw too many people burned alive to care particularly about two nobles he scarcely knew. Jaime's motivation for murdering Aerys was the wildfire-plot, and to some degree maybe also the fact that Aerys sent him to kill Tywin. That really put him at odds with himself, and it would actually be a rather interesting discussion what a 'honorable knight of the Kingsguard' should do in such a situation.

I don't see Ned fulfilling that order had he been a KG member.

Isn't that not actually also Ned's POV in the books? Even Ned knew that someone had to kill Aerys, and as a Stark he would have done it himself, but cannot accept that a KG betrays his oath to do that - also due to the fact that he does his own killing (and thus also his own dirty work, at least to a degree).

Oh, and by the way, is the whole business about the Iron Throne becoming a topic in the series as well? Ned and Jaime's confrontation back then with Jaime sitting on the Iron Throne would explain the tension between them.

It does seem like this scene is a nod to Ned finding Jaime sitting on the throne. Would be very cool to see a flashback of that, but I'm not expecting there will be one.

Archived