[BOOK SPOILERS] Favourite/least favourite characters in GoT TV-series?

Arya The Assassin

Wow, thanks for your mature and articulate response to my main issue with your post.

Perhaps I should have written "thanks for your mature and articulate jumping to conclusions unsubstantiated by my post". And that's all I'll be saying regarding this "subject" henceforth.

That is exactly the kind of thing that makes me wish I could watch audition tapes.

Yes, me too. I'm also curious about the scenes filmed for the first pilot, where they had some different actors in some of the roles. It would be nice to that on the DVDs as well.

I have a lot of favourites but the one I want to highlight is Bronn who I think comes agross really well. I loved him during the clansman attack on the eastern road. He was fighting with such ease and confidence that you really got the feeling that this is something he is good at and that it is something he does for a living, I also like his humour.

Perhaps I should have written "thanks for your mature and articulate jumping to conclusions unsubstantiated by my post". And that's all I'll be saying regarding this "subject" henceforth.

If you felt that I jumped to a conclusion you could have clarified your position and defended yourself rather than rolling your eyes. But I am more than willing to drop it.

Yes, me too. I'm also curious about the scenes filmed for the first pilot, where they had some different actors in some of the roles. It would be nice to that on the DVDs as well.

That would be very interesting to see, IIRC they filmed that with Jennifer Ehle and I am curious about why they replaced her with Michelle Fairley. Or did they replace Ehle sooner than that? Not sure we'll get it on the DVD though since I've never seen a discarded pilot as an extra before, not that I can recall anyway... maybe somebody else has? Because it would be totally awesome. I hope we at least get the audition tapes for the actors they did cast, those are always interesting and occasionally hilarious.

I have to say, when i first heard that GoT was coming to HBO my first thought was about casting Tyrion. He's ,by far, my favorite character in the books but ,lets face it, the pool of actors of "his stature" has to be severely limited. No one wants their favorite character butchered by bad casting.

So....Kudos to HBO! My fears were unjustified. Dinklage utters his lines with the perfect self-deprecating sarcasm I've come to love. As always HBO has managed to assemble a top notch cast of actors without household names.

As others have mentioned, Arya's part is portrayed to perfection. I think Kit Haringtons portrayal of Jon deserves a little more credit too.

I'm a little surprised that some people don't enjoy LF's portrayal. I always felt he had that unctuous, slimy manner about him. You don't like him. You don't trust him. But dammit he always has something you need and you don't have a choice. In that regard i think the actors performance is spot on.

My one complaint is probably Cersei. I like Lena Headey and i think she's doing a good job, its just not how i saw Cersei. Cersei always had that cold hearted bitchiness but in the books i always felt like that was covered by a mask of charm. I always felt she had this smling ladylike persona she adopted when it suits her. I think we've seen touchs of this here and there but i feel its going to be a harder sell when she has to convince Sansa to betray her father. Lena just seems to be too cold and bitter more times than not. Maybe its just me.

I'm surprised at how much I'm liking Theon Greyjoy so far in the show. I'm very fond of Book-Theon because he's so out of place in a fantasy novel; he's a cocky jerk from a Quentin Tarantino movie with a sword belt. It's fun to see him get owned by everybody, even the hooker. "But really, I'm a kraken! They respect me! I'm bad-ass!" I hope he gets a chance to show that he's a competent young lordling before he does his heel turn in Season 2.

Sandor Clegane gets some of the best lines in the book, I'd like him to get at least a scene with Sansa where he can express his contempt for knights and society in general before everything goes to hell. I like the actor playing him and I liked the way he delivered the line, "He ran. Not very fast." about Myca the butcher's boy, so I think he may work out.

And Jaime is just about perfect, I think -- handsome, moody, arrogant. The new scenes they've written for him fit really well with his persona, too. He gives me a very similar vibe to Nathan Fillion in Firefly -- he's brave, not very good with the schemes, but tenacious and aggressive. He's always on the verge of kicking someone's butt.

At first I hated Jaime and Cersei. But I've grown to like both Characters, especially Jaime.

My favorites so far would have to be the girl playing Arya, Sean Bean as Ned, and Visereys. There all doing a really good job. Especially Arya whose exactly like I imagined she would be

On the other side, I didn't like the casting of Bronn so much. Seemed a bit old, plus I always figured he'd be a bit more attractive. Also not huge on Sansa. Sometimes I think the girls cute enough to be playing Sansa, sometimes I dont. And even though shes young I feel like she looks way older than 13. But most of the actors are really good

Am I the only one who has had Loras and Renly completely ruined by the series? Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying it all. And we all picked up on the little..vibe between the two and the subtle hints..and the not so subtle. (Loras' rage after Renly's death in the tent.) I just pictured the both of them more manly, and would have rather seen a more discreet approach to their relationship. Rather than, "Look the King's brother is a homosexual and has secret rendevous with his Knight of Flowers". Which Littlefinger knows aaall about.

Jaime is being done really well, in my opinion. The Starks, Bronn, Tyrion, Robert, not so much Cersei in my opinion. Arya is great. Was I right to picture Lysa a little fatter?

Lena just seems to be too cold and bitter more times than not.

More like "bored," which for an actor is even a step below overacting IMO.

Same goes for Sophie Turner. I just don't remember Sansa being pouty and depressed and looking like she'd rather be at home with a good book than wherever she happens to be on screen. Where's the wide-eyed naivete? Or are my memory banks scrambled? It's been a few years since I read GoT.

[snip...] Dinklage utters his lines with the perfect self-deprecating sarcasm I've come to love. As always HBO has managed to assemble a top notch cast of actors without household names.

As others have mentioned, Arya's part is portrayed to perfection. I think Kit Haringtons portrayal of Jon deserves a little more credit too.

I'm a little surprised that some people don't enjoy LF's portrayal. I always felt he had that unctuous, slimy manner about him. You don't like him. You don't trust him. But dammit he always has something you need and you don't have a choice. In that regard i think the actors performance is spot on.

My one complaint is probably Cersei. I like Lena Headey and i think she's doing a good job, its just not how i saw Cersei. Cersei always had that cold hearted bitchiness but in the books i always felt like that was covered by a mask of charm. I always felt she had this smling ladylike persona she adopted when it suits her. I think we've seen touchs of this here and there but i feel its going to be a harder sell when she has to convince Sansa to betray her father. Lena just seems to be too cold and bitter more times than not. Maybe its just me.

I agree wholeheartedly. Like most people, I think Tyrion and Arya were perfectly cast - these actors ARE Tyrion and Arya come to life. They were two of my favorites in the books, and I have not been disappointed at all with the TV portrayal of them.

I have heard a lot of complaints on forums and IRL about the casting of Jamie Lannister - he works for me. I wish I could say the same about Cersei; I don't care much for this more sympathetic version of her. Lena Headey is not how I pictured Cersei, but maybe it's mainly how she is written that bothers me. Where is my love-to-hate-her nasty queen? :P

People seem a bit mixed on Littlefinger. I think Aidan Gillen makes a great, slimy Petyr Baelish. I also really liked Miltos Yeromelou as Syrio. I really had trouble picturing him in the book - how he moved and such - I thought Miltos was great.

All in all, I think they did a great job with casting. I don't mind that the characters are older, or not quite as handsome/beautiful as I imagined. I kind of figure that their idea of beauty is different than ours, anyway.

More like "bored," which for an actor is even a step below overacting IMO.

Same goes for Sophie Turner. I just don't remember Sansa being pouty and depressed and looking like she'd rather be at home with a good book than wherever she happens to be on screen. Where's the wide-eyed naivete? Or are my memory banks scrambled? It's been a few years since I read GoT.

You're remembering correctly. The Sansa on screen is not the Sansa of the books. I liked book Sansa. Can't stand the brat in show. (The character, not the actress. )

Yeah, the TV Sansa is intentionally a lot different than the one from the books, much more bratty and haughty. The dialogue between her and Septa Mordane in the last episode really drove this.

Anyway, thanks to the great acting of Mark Addy I like TV Robert a lot more than his book version. Great casting choice. At first I thought Catelyn is just too old in the series, but then Michelle Fairley won me over with her acting ability. Besides, you can see that she must've been quite beautiful in her younger days, so there's no problems in terms of the believebility of the LF's old crush on her.

Iain Glen makes a perfect Jorah, another fantastic casting choice.

Hi guys. I have been visiting the imdb page and I've been a big scare when I saw that Eugene Simon, the actor who plays Lancel Lannister, has only two episodes. Does this mean that you no longer see in the next episodes? :frown5:

Archived