[Book Spoilers] EP103 Discussion

Ran

The "Previously on Game of Thrones" sure had some R + L = J bait, with the cut from Ned telling Jon you are a Stark to Robert saying he'll kill every Targaryen.

Loved Jaime's eyes narrowing as Ned shot down his "it sounded like justice" line.

I'm loving this version of Cersei. The scene with her telling Joffrey to be kind to the Stark girl was brilliant. So much pain mixed in with her scheming.

I'm loving the costumes we see this episode. The Maester's chains look way better when you see the full chain on Pycelle. Also the Goldcloaks mail veil is very menacing.

I probably missed it somewhere, but are there actual models used in the intro, or is it all computer graphics? Would love to see the model of the Wall

I probably missed it somewhere, but are there actual models used in the intro, or is it all computer graphics? Would love to see the model of the Wall

Just CGI. In the HBO on Demand special on the opening scene, it says DnD also wondered if there were models when the art team showed them the footage, it was so lifelike.

Lancel reminds me of Prince Valium from Spaceballs

loved the transition we see from Dany not being able to walk after a day to being able to dismount easily

loved the transition we see from Dany not being able to walk after a day to being able to dismount easily

Yeah, they showed that really economically. I hadn't realized what a good job they did till my wife, who's never read the books, saw her on the horse and said "oh my god, she was a virgin, had sex for the first time, then had to ride a horse all day, that's horrific!".

They also did a great job explaining the wall and developing Tyrion at the same time. Is it in the books that he completely disbelieves in the Others when he arrives at the Wall?

Damn that was quick! Time for a break and a second watch. :)

I liked the episode but am sort of worried that it my be percieved as sort of slow for the non-reader. Am on the fence about littlefinger for now. Maybe it was just me but I felt some of the lines in this episode wasn't quite as good as the other and some of the acting especially with Catelyn was kind of off. Still pretty good episode.

Damn! 1 hour passes too quickly.

Great episode. Syrio was spot on. Love the water dance.

Giving Donal Noye's lines to Tyrion makes sense in that there are so many characters, that some were sure to fall by the wayside.

I missed the true depth of the Jon/Aliser Thorne conflict however.

Dani/Dothraki scenes are getting better every episode.

Old Nan/Bran scene was too cool too.

Biggest disappointment was still the lack of Ghost.

I was also surprised by the scene between Cersei and Joff. I couldn't believe the amount of apathy Joff had towards Sansa. I always knew he was a 'royal shit', but I was pleasantly surprised to what extent they were willing to show it.

Some general thoughts:

1. Cersei is a great deal more clever politically than she in the books.

2. I liked the scene showing that Ned is a horrible Dad to Sansa but GETS Arya.

3. The long look where Stark realizes, "this war will be fought by my children" was good.

4. God, Lancel looks horrible.

5. A nice juxtaposition of the fact we assume Robert is talking about women when he's talking about murder.

6. Jaime is about a thousand times calmer and more controlled than in the books - but I think his actor is failing to show his love for Cersei.

(In fact, all of the Lannisters are smarter - which diminishes Tyrion a bit I think)

7. Littlefinger may be a bit too cultured and stylish - there's a lewdness to the book version and a mischief missing here.

The Littlefinger of the show is, 'You know - this brothel was the best place to hide her.' The literary Littlefinger enjoyed the joke on Stark Honor.

Loved it, loved it, loved it! But SO damned quick! Felt like I was just getting into it when BANG, its over. Littlefinger is nicely... slippery. Physically attractive, but all slippery-crafty in his eyes. Dany's learning to speak and act queenly, little by little, inch by inch. Tyrion's a marvel, but I so wish we could have seen the duel with the fork! Loved it! Off to HBO Go!

How awesome is Syrio!!! LOVED the scene.

The small chamber scene felt extremely rushed but nice to meet my beloved Petyr (amazing casting there, btw) and Renly (hair is all wrong) and Varys, also perfect casting. He's a character I could easily not care about but I think I will because of the casting.

A lot of made-up nonsense in this episode but I understand why, we need background explanation, yeah yeah.

I'm so over Cersei. She's just not right at all.

OUTSTANDING.

Not only did the plot move along very well but so many fanboy tidbits. Ser Duncan the Tall and Simon Toyne!!!

I loved how they showed how Robert, Joffrey, and Viserys were all 3 unfit as rulers. Good storytelling.

eta: Yeah, no Ghost again was kinda bad. I think when he suddenly appears on screen non-readers will wonder how he got there.

Archived