[Book Spoilers] EP103 Discussion

Ran

Only real problem I have is the lack of the wolves, in particular Ghost who has shown up for about 5 seconds of screentime in 3 episodes. Can't help but think that non-readers don't really get a good sense of the bond between the Starks and their wolves. If I didn't read the books, there's a decent chance I would forget that Robb and Jon even have wolves.

They're definitely writing Cersei as much smarter than she ought to be. And oh, how annoying it is. She's not displaying "low cunning", she's being a Tywin with tits.

She was cunning in the books too even if she didn't make all the right decisions.

Oh, was I the only one disappointed a bit with Renly? Yes, he was barely htere, but he came across as... nothing. Just a smile and a welcome. No personality.

My only nit pick of the episode, though.

I actually liked Renly already. I thought he displayed as much personality as he could in the short scene he had. Particularly with his quips about his brother.

Another thing I noticed about this episode is that so many of the common complaints (aside from the lack of Direwolves on screen) - about earlier episodes - do not appear to be present any longer. All that bitching for nothing. :P

I always imagined him with a beard too--is that in the books? Been so long since I've read them!

But yeah, I was like "Who is this?!" for a while and then decided it must be Barristan.

Kinda spoilerish...

He grows a beard as he travels across the narrow sea to find Dany as Arstan.

Oh, was I the only one disappointed a bit with Renly? Yes, he was barely htere, but he came across as... nothing. Just a smile and a welcome. No personality.

My only nit pick of the episode, though.

I wish he had been wearing something more colorful. I always thought he was a totaly fop.

She was cunning in the books too even if she didn't make all the right decisions.

Cunning, yes. Not cool and calculating like this. Book-Cersei would never have given Joffrey moderate, sensible advice.

Quick thought about Cersei. They do seem to be writing her as a more capable ruler/plotter from what we have seen, but even in the books you didn't really get to see her weaknesses in that area until

Tyrion arrives in King's Landing as Hand and starts outplotting her.

I don't think the character of Cersei will be too different than the one from the books overall.

Argh! Every episode goes by so quickly! This one was tough because there was no natural "cliffhanger" ending like in the first two episodes, but I felt unsatisfied when it was over. I'll have to watch it again.

Some nitpicks:

-No direwolves! At all!

-Tyrion comes in and sics the queen on Grenn and Pyp when they attack Jon. I think this would make them resent Jon more, so it's jarring that the next scene with all of them in it has him happily giving them fencing tips. The book's events made more sense.

-Dany was too uncertain in the scene with Viserys--she should have made him walk rather than leaving it up to the Dothraki.

-The Robert and Jaime scene felt unneccessary.

Best parts:

-Syrio Forel!

-Littlefinger! The casting is perfect here and I love his verbal sparring with Ned.

Loved the episode as always. It is going by too FAST. I hope that when the blu-ray comes out, they offer a feature where you can do a marathon watching of the show with no breaks between episodes. Just a 10 hour long movie!

I'm a bit concerned about the lack of dire wolves again. I forgave them last time because Lady and Summer were so prominent. But Ghost needs to get more screen time. He's a big part of Jon IMO. I mean, how hard can it be to just show him hanging out in Jon's room or walking alongside Jon? Or even something as simple as Jon giving him some scraps just to remind people, oh his wolf went with him.

Syrio was awesome. I pictured him a bit older with greying hair though. I can't wait to see him in action against the knights coming for Arya.

BTW. Up to this point, has anyone been called "Ser" yet?

Cunning, yes. Not cool and calculating like this. Book-Cersei would never have given Joffrey moderate, sensible advice.

Funny since that's exactly what she did in the book when she told Joffrey to let Ned take the black.

My quibble with HBO Cersei is her endlessly pinched expression--pursed lips, furrowed brow, pissed off, worried. Even when she and Jaime are all intimate, there's no...melting into the scene, just the same pissed off, furrowed brow, pursed lips. Sheesh, if you're gonna 'do' your twin, lady, at least get into it while its happening.

People forget, Cersei's insanity is a progressive thing. She is actually quite put together until Jaime gets captured. That gets the ball rolling and then when they're under imminent threat of invasion from Stannis' forces, it gets worse. Finally, when her father shows up and Joffrey dies, she becomes unhinged.

Had Cersei from Book 4 been the Cersei in Book 1, then she would have been the one calling for Ned's head.

Yeah, Cersie even in the books is in great control through GOT. It isn't until Jaime is captured and Tyrion becomes Hand that you start to see her lose control. It all goes downhill from there. But the first book, she is certainly a cold, cunning character.

My quibble with HBO Cersei is her endlessly pinched expression--pursed lips, furrowed brow, pissed off, worried. Even when she and Jaime are all intimate, there's no...melting into the scene, just the same pissed off, furrowed brow, pursed lips. Sheesh, if you're gonna 'do' your twin, lady, at least get into it while its happening.

I think her character, being in a constant state of concern and stress, having a worried expression and rarely being able to enjoy a moment completely fits.

<Tom Hanks in a League of Their Own tantrum> There's no romance in a Game of Thrones! There's no romance in a Game of Thrones! </Tom Hanks in a League of Their Own tantrum>

About that scene -- why did Jorah have to ride all the way to Qohor to get a goat? Is that just a reference for fans of the book to the Black Goat of Qohor?

I might have missed it but I thought he was going to Qohor to send the message to King's Landing that Dany is pregnant. I didn't think he gave any explanation as to why was going to Qohor, but if he did then he just used the goat as an excuse.

I'm sad to read some people really don't enjoy the way Ceresi is being portrayed in the series. I really did Headey's performance and think she's being great in the role. The non-book reader I saw the episode with thoroughly enjoyed it too. Especially the scenes with Eddard and Arya and Tyrion.

I didnt even get it was Barristan with Robert trading war stories. When they showed Jamie and him standing side by side, I thought 'wait a minute, what is Tywin doing here in KL? He doesn't show up until much later. I hope they havent departed from the books that much.'

So far they've stayed with 4 locations (Wall, Winterfell, KL and Vaes Dothrak), and the number of characters is quite overwhelming. It'll be interesting to see how they juggle more locations and characters. Although to be fair its mainly the Vale.

They did show Renly as having...certain mannerisms. Also interesting to see how much they will be able to show, not tell.

Archived