[Book Spoilers] EP103 Discussion

Ran

This is by far my favorite episode so far.

First off I love the Cersei and Joffery scene. This is one of those scenes where I’m truely happy Lena Headey didn’t read the books. Because I know alot of other actress would have played Cersei as a mindless bimbo.

But Lena comes off as a mother who absolutly spoils her children, but at the same time was every bit a father figure to Joffery.

Judging by the “War Stories” Scene with Robert being bilgerent and down right mean it would seem that Cersei is trying to be both mother and father to her children.

Her Battle Commander persona makes me miss Sarah Connor so much …

The War stories scene is one of my favorites because it shows how each soldier deals with their first kill. It was telling of how very different some of the characters are.

Old barristan is a gentleman through and through … I love how he doesn’t feel comfortable reveling in the killing of other men.

On the other hand we see Robert as someone who really does enjoy killing things … and though it may be a red herring to those non readers. It shows just where Joffery might have gotten his sadistic attitude.

Once again Selmy was a freakin gentlemen to sit there and listen to Robert brag taking away someone’s future.

I really don’t like Robert (Though Mark Addy is playing him so great, I’m loving the preformance)

Ned/Catelyn is always great and this time there chemistry is much more awesome than in the book.

I love the “Ned!” Scene at the brothel with Ned/Catelyn/Littlefinger when he was choking the crap out of Petyr.

I feel guilty about this … but I’m loving Cersei/Jaime. I really buy into their love. Even if it’s so wrong.

Robb and Bran FTW!

On a personal note I felt so bad for Ned when Sansa spit on his gift. Coming from a house with a spoiled older sister like Sansa it always gets me down to someone do that to a parent.

Eitherway that’s all I got …

PS. Next week more Ned/Cersei

Maybe it's just me, but I loved the scene with Robert. I think it's great that in true Robert form his council is session as he is drinking and trading war stories with men who have been serving him for years and no doubt heard it before. I love the fact that show is showing that Robert truly does not give a damn as to how his kingdom is being run.

I also like rational Jaime in front Barriston and Robert. It gives some insight as to who we see in later books.

Yeah I see what you're saying, but I think Robert is coming across as downright awful. Granted he's not meant to be a great and wise king or anything of that nature, but in the books I read him sort of like that college buddy who's just a great big buffoon. You know, the guy that gets ripped drunk at a a party and makes a complete ass out of himself. Has a million bawdy stories to tell. He never quite grows up and matures, and while you would never trust him with any kind of real responsibility, deep down he's a decent (albeit a bit misguided) guy.

This Robert, for me, is coming off as much more mean spirited and a bit less jovial. Again I've only read the books once, so perhaps my perception of the Robert character is not congruent with the majority of the fan base or GRRM's initial vision. Maybe in this condensed format he just has to more quickly get across the point of how ruling the 7 kingdoms has worn him down and sapped some of his good cheer.

Oh and before I forget - your handle "Tywin's Golden Deuce" is absolutely f'ing brilliant.

It's weird, Jaime's characterization is the most off.

1. He seems less passionately devoted to Cersei, basically treating him as his girlfriend he doesn't like much with the way he talks to her.

2. Jaime oddly talks about how killing Aerys "felt like justice." He also mentions, "Let them all burn." If he's not saying that he killed Aerys because he was going to burn down the city, he certainly is coming damn close.

This in stark contrast to Jaime who is a jackass because no one would believe him. Oddly, this means this Jaime is a jackass because... well he's just a jackass.

Ned in the books judged Jaime 14 years ago and does so on screen as no matter what Jaime says won't be good enough for Stark. I don't think anyone takes him serious anymore since breaking his oath to Aerys, even though Selmy does as well before the war is over. Jaime could probably admit to caches of wildfire around the city on a high holy day in Baelor's sept and everyone would snicker at him.

Hmmm... granted I've only read the books once, but I thought of Cersei as a pretty formidable opponent. She goes about the game a little differently than the other players, but I never underestimated her capacity for scheming or ability to manipulate a situation to her advantage. It seems a more than a few posters rank her pretty low on the totem pole. /shrug, I always thought of her as much more than a beautiful face, and definitely a force to be reckoned with. I also think Lena Headey is a great fit, both physically and with what she's doing with the role. Am I in the minority on this one?

What's funny is that everyone is complaining about how Cersei is too 'formidable,' but what is she formidable about?

Mostly it's about how Joffery should deal with women. She's basically describing her own experience when she talks about Joffery and Sansa's future. So she's giving her son girl-advice.

Other than that, the advice about not controlling the North didn't seem particularly cunning to me - it seemed like common knowledge that a pompous teenager needs to be told, since he thinks he's a tough guy, all 'I'll kick their asses with my army.' And the thing about making your own truth when you become king - seems perfectly reasonable when coming from Cersei.

On a rewatch, I decided there was a lot to like in this episode. Loved Yoren, bttw. I like that they're giving him more screen time so that we'll be more upset when shit goes down in season 2.

Watching it a second time: the look on Ned's face as he watches Cat exit...you just know he'll neber see her again.

It seemed so obvious, that scene should have had a spoiler warning.

Other thoughts:

Barristan looked exactly right, like an old military guy who's still got it.

I like how we're getting to know the Dothraki better. And generally enjoying Dany's storyline better- I wasn't particularly interested in it when I read the book.

And I've got to agree with everyone about wanting more direwolves. I've been all for waiting to see how things develop, but by this time, it the connection with the direwolves should be very apparent.

Yeah I see what you're saying, but I think Robert is coming across as downright awful. Granted he's not meant to be a great and wise king or anything of that nature, but in the books I read him sort of like that college buddy who's just a great big buffoon. You know, the guy that gets ripped drunk at a a party and makes a complete ass out of himself. Has a million bawdy stories to tell. He never quite grows up and matures, and while you would never trust him with any kind of real responsibility, deep down he's a decent (albeit a bit misguided) guy.

This Robert, for me, is coming off as much more mean spirited and a bit less jovial. Again I've only read the books once, so perhaps my perception of the Robert character is not congruent with the majority of the fan base or GRRM's initial vision. Maybe in this condensed format he just has to more quickly get across the point of how ruling the 7 kingdoms has worn him down and sapped some of his good cheer.

Oh and before I forget - your handle "Tywin's Golden Deuce" is absolutely f'ing brilliant.

You are pretty right on with Robert when concerning Ned as far as the jovial college buddy goes, however read the books again and see how he interacts with Lancel and Barriston before the second day of the tourney. Addy has this nailed.

Thanks for the compliment!

Excellent episode. That look on Dany's face when she tells Drago about their son was amazing. Robert's reminiscing about his youth in terms of first kills was the finest scene for me. That actor has a true presence about him. Tyrion continues to live up to the hype. Bring on number 4.

The way some people are complaining, I'm beginning to think there's going to be bitching if Lena Headey's performance as Cersei is anything on the Einstein side of Full Retard. Did you even listen to the advice she was giving? It wasn't exactly what you would call graduate-level tactics: she's telling her son the reasons why he can't just invade the North and expect them to slaughter their kin on his say-so. I mean, it's good advice and all, but as far as Westerosi domestic policy goes let's not pretend it's past the 101 weeder course.

I think how they're portraying Cersei is completely accurate to her presence in the books up to this point: she gets to be the smart one for now because she's the only card in play with any intrigue points on her at all. Once Tyrion arrives on the scene and he, Littlefinger, and Varys start tapping their moves for real, she will quickly drown in her abundant inadequacies, and rightly so.

Oh Syrio, my Syrio, that last five minutes was the best part of the episode!

I noticed right away that the VAST majority of the dialog had been changed for this episode - but when Syrio came in, it was word for word. Makes up for it, in my book.

Still no Ghost. *sigh*

Robert's war-talk scene was a nice development, and I have no problem with the way Lancel looked - after all, he's still just a little weenie squire. He hasn't... erm... well... give him time.

Jamie finally took off the "Firefly" duster for a while. Thank you.

Sansa needs a good whipping.

Joffrey, my boy, I am SO looking forward to this.

I'm loving it, this episode was my favorite so far. (I've ranked them a 7, 8 and now 9 for this one.)

The invented scenes were among my very favorites, D&D are damn good writers and are doing a great job creating material that feels 'of this world.'

The final scene with Syrio and Arya was my favorite, though. I just had a big, shit-eating grin on my face through the whole things, so good, but I loved how they twisted it at the end with Ned watching and as Arya trains and gets poked repeatedly by Syrio, being 'killed' each time, he starts to hear the ring and clash of battle from his memories and his expression just goes dark, or maybe it's ashen. Bean played that moment perfectly.

didn't realize the Braavosi accent would be Russian, but liked how they showed him with Arya

Greek, probably. The actor is Greek.

- Am I the only one who thought this Old Nan out Old Naned the book Old Nan?

She's perfect, it's a sad shame the actress died soon after shooting the season.

- I forgot about Pycelle's epic beard.

He doesn't look anything like he did in Empire when he played General Veers. He's doing a great job, he's just like I imagined Pycell.

I wasn't able to watch the earlier showing and so didn't have time to read most of the previous posts on the thread.

But I have to agree that the actors playing both Littlefinger and Syrio Forel were fantastic. I loved the whole episode, but they were the best part for me. Miltos Yerolemou's delivery of his lines was perfect. I think I'm impressed with the character much more after seeing this portrayal than I was from just reading the same lines in the book. :)

Speaking pf Pycelle...liked how he "forgot" to give Ned the news about Bran that morning. Then we see Cersei berating Jaime with the news. Wonder how she found out ;)

Also loved the irony of Robert berating Lancel about running out of wine then ordering him to go get more.

I was concerned and a little upset when it was announced that the kingsguard wouldn't be wearing white armor. I think my concerns might have been a little justified with the confusion as to whether, or not, Barristan was the one speaking with Robert. I really don't understand the decision to change the armor. I always thought the KG should stand out and be the focus of attention. I think they were, at least, wearing white cloaks in this episode.

I didn't think that I'd like the casting of Syrio because I always pictured him as a quick, skinny, man. I'm glad that I was wrong and the scene with Syrio and Arya was great.

Does anyone know how IMDB works? I noticed that Samwell and Tywin are given credit for being in this episode. Tywin is supposed to be in 8 episodes and Sam is supposed to be in 7.

Two quick comments:

I loved the hell out of Old Nan's "Ser Duncan the Tall" line. Effing awesome.

Where the bloody hell was Ghost!?! If there having problems training the dog, they need to fix that shit quick.

Still, fantastic episode!!!

I don't understand the issues with Ghost.

He was in episode 2 at the scene when Jon and Tyrion are talking on the way north. You see him in the long shot before they start talking.

In this episode he did not appear, but the scenes with Jon in the book did not have Ghost in them either.

WOW...another amazing episode! This one felt a lot different than the prior two, it feels like the show found its pacing and is "settling in".

What I Liked

1. Syrio and Arya...as has been said two times already on this thread, I had a shit-eating grin on my face the entire time. So. Effing. Perfect.

2. The small council casting - Varys, Pycelle, and LF are all perfect. I loved Pycelle's bumbling way of acting, it's one of those things that feels like it was pulled straight from the text.

3. Dany and Viserys. This was Harry Lloyd's finest moment so far, and he pulled off the psycho brother insanely well.

4. All the Dothraki scenes, really. Jorah and Jhogo's conversation was awesome, they're fleshing these people out a lot more than I thought they would after episode 1.

5. Ned and Cat's relationship really felt genuine and wholesome when they were saying their goodbyes. So sad for us readers, knowing what's going to happen. :(

6. Yoren's screentime really surprised me, he's actually enjoyable to watch. He was always one of those throwaway characters for me in the book but not so in the show.

7. Bran/Old Nan/Robb was a fun little scene to watch.

What I was on the Fence About

1. The ordering of scenes felt like it might be a bit jarring to non-readers, but I guess that's going to be the case from here on out.

2. Lancel was weird looking...but I guess he's supposed to look meek and sort of effeminate.

3. Sansa's a bitch!

What I Disliked

1. No direwolves...this is becoming a big concern for me now. If Ghost still hasn't made a significant appearance after episode 4, then when he finally does need to show up, non-readers are going to wonder where the hell he came from.

2. Still waiting to see Hodor! He'll probably show up next week, I'm guessing.

3. A whole nother week to get more... :(

Overall, this was a good episode. I think now that the groundwork is laid for Kings Landing and the Wall settings, the pace will quicken again next weekend (similar to how it did from episode 1 -> 2). Can't wait! :thumbsup:

Loved it. Thought the war stories scene was the best acted so far. Syrio wasn't as thin or...well... bald as I pictured him in my mind but I was grinnin' like an idiot the whole scene. Tyrion/Yoren/Benjen was a great scene as well. It's not a carbon copy of the books, and shouldn't be. They are getting it right.

Archived