[NO SPOILERS] Episode 3 Character Rankings

TheEvilKing

Holy shit I loved this episode. This show is getting exponentially better every week. And the goddamn tourney is up next. Hell yes.

Anyway, here are this week's Official character rankings.

BADASS RANKINGS:

1. Syrio Forel obviously

2. Jon Snow

3. Rakharo - granted, it was only Viserys he owned

4. Ned - way more badass than the books. I cracked up at the scene outside the brothel.

5. King Robert - telling drunken war stories about beating up Tarlys with his warhammer. Nice.

Honourable mention: Allister Thorne - came off more as a strict, somewhat ruthless taskmaster than a total jerk

Dishonourable mention: Viserys. What a bitch.

CHARACTER PORTRAYAL RANKINGS:

1. Tyrion

2. Arya

3. Jorah

4. Robert

5. Cat

Honourable mention: Pycelle - doddering old fool who isn't as senile as he pretends to be

Dishonourable mention: Nobody. Tremendous episode all round.

I was overly impressed with Joseph Mawle as Benjen Stark.

Kit Harington as Jon Snow is also getting better with every episode. If he keeps it up like this, I might even learn to like the book character because of him.

Ian McElhinney as Barristan Selmy -- wow, what a great piece of casting! The scene with him, Robert and Jaime was too good.

Last but not least, Iain Glen as Jorah Mormont.

Not really impressed with -- this episode only: Tyrion (a bit too smug for my taste), Ned (less bitchy, more noble, please) and Syrio Forel (can't put my finger on it yet).

My episode 3 rankings!

Most surprised by how good they were:

1. Jorah

2. Varys

3. Catelyn

4. Yoren

5. Old Nan

6. Pycelle

Most disappointed:

1. Renly

2. Littlefinger (though hopefully this will change next episode)

3. Lancel

4. Cersei

Wanted more, more, more:

1. Syrio

2. Syrio

3. Viserys

4. Barristan

5. Sansa

Continuing to impress:

1. Arya

2. Arya

3. Arya

4. Jaime

5. Ned

6. Jon

Yeah I know these are super random categories but oh well. So many brilliantly portrayed characters!

Most surprised by:

1. Rakharo

2. Benjen

3. Old Nan

4. Bran

5. Jorah

Most dissapointed by:

1. Maester Aemon (sad to have to say it :/)

2. Syrio (perhaps it's my mistake, but he's not nearly the way I had portrayed him)

3. Varys

4. Allister Thorne (he didn't even look like a bad guy at all...)

5. Sansa

My favorite characters in the season so far:

1. Arya

2. Jaime

3. Ned

4. Tyrion

5. Bran

6. Jorah

7. Robert

8. Cersei

9. Cat

10. Jon

I was overly impressed with Joseph Mawle as Benjen Stark.

Kit Harington as Jon Snow is also getting better with every episode. If he keeps it up like this, I might even learn to like the book character because of him.

Ian McElhinney as Barristan Selmy -- wow, what a great piece of casting! The scene with him, Robert and Jaime was too good.

Last but not least, Iain Glen as Jorah Mormont.

Not really impressed with -- this episode only: Tyrion (a bit too smug for my taste), Ned (less bitchy, more noble, please) and Syrio Forel (can't put my finger on it yet).

Is it because he looks like Kenny Powers and El Guapo had a kid with a bad Italian accent?

Is it because he looks like Kenny Powers and El Guapo had a kid with a bad Italian accent?

:) Could be, could be.

Seriously now, I probably just need to get used to the differences from how I pictured him. The acting was not bad in my opinion.

I'll put in a vote for Cersei and in particular Lena Headey's fine acting overall. I can't understand the criticism levelled at her on these boards. You can't portray a character as pure evil and expect it to be tenable over multiple series. There have to be some redeeming qualities present, even if they turn out to be duplicitous in nature, to enable the character to remain believable. The easiest characters to portray are those that don't persist and you can afford to let them remain as two dimensional black or white creations. Characters central to the story have to be fleshed out to give them an element of believability. I think the foundation work done in these early episodes will pay dividends to Cersei's portrayal as the story unfolds.

I'll put in a vote for Cersei and in particular Lena Headey's fine acting overall. I can't understand the criticism levelled at her on these boards. You can't portray a character as pure evil and expect it to be tenable over multiple series. There have to be some redeeming qualities present, even if they turn out to be duplicitous in nature, to enable the character to remain believable. The easiest characters to portray are those that don't persist and you can afford to let them remain as two dimensional black or white creations. Characters central to the story have to be fleshed out to give them an element of believability.

Yeah, I have to agree, I'm not getting the Lena Headey criticism. Her portrayal of Cersei has been one of the most enjoyable surprises of the series for me so far.

Headey has taken a character who was pretty one-dimensional and completely unsympathetic in the early books and turned her into a really intriguing character. We get the nastiness and slight sadism but we also get a mother who will do anything to protect her own and a relatively young woman who feels trapped in her life. Headey has also brought real physical presence to the role. She's very attractive in a very charismatic, intelligent sort of a way (rather than hot airhead babe, if you know what I mean). You get a sense that much of her clout comes not just from being queen but because a lot of men get nervous and intimidated around a woman with her beauty and presence.

I think the foundation work done in these early episodes will pay dividends to Cersei's portrayal as the story unfolds.

QFT. I think it's going to be awesome when people see just how ruthless she can be

The Good:

1. arya, Arya, ARYA! - This girl portraying her is spot-on and going to go far in this business.

2. Robert - He only had one scene, but DAMN that was good!

3. Syrio Forel - Dude is smooth, what can I say? There nothing to not love.

4. Ned - That look at the end of the episode... perfect. Overall really solid.

5. Joffrey - Well color me impressed, that was actually a good scene, the one with him in it.

The Bad:

1. Tyrion - No really bad, and it feels weird putting Tyrion here, but he could have been much better in this episode considering the part of the book that they covered.

2. Cat - Really not a fan.

3. Both Mormonts - Really didn't feel their presence.

The Ugly:

1. Littlefinger - Such a disappointing portrayal. I was expecting the character to be colorful and witty, but it came across as lifeless and flat.

I'll put in a vote for Cersei and in particular Lena Headey's fine acting overall. I can't understand the criticism levelled at her on these boards. You can't portray a character as pure evil and expect it to be tenable over multiple series. There have to be some redeeming qualities present, even if they turn out to be duplicitous in nature, to enable the character to remain believable. The easiest characters to portray are those that don't persist and you can afford to let them remain as two dimensional black or white creations. Characters central to the story have to be fleshed out to give them an element of believability. I think the foundation work done in these early episodes will pay dividends to Cersei's portrayal as the story unfolds.

Agreed. Lena Headey was a fantastic choice IMO, and I'm more than glad that Cersei isn't portrayed as "pure evil", cause that would simply be wrong.

Best Character Portrayal:

1. Arya - Maisie gets better evey week. Perfectly captures the spirit of the character.

2. Old Nan - Much better than I was expecting. Wish we could see more of her next season. Alas... :(

3. Benjen - One word sums up Mawle's performance - convincing. It's as if the first ranger of the Night's Watch stepped out of the book and directly onto the screen. Again, shame we won't see more this season.

4. Jorah - Another stellar performance; loads of charisma and presence. I think we can expect the same every week.

5. Tyrion - I've enjoyed Dinklage's portrayal more with each episode. He's capturing exactly what Tyrion's all about.

Most Awesome/Fun:

1. Syrio - Exceeded my expectations and then some. So much fun to watch.

2. Jon - As a fan of the character I have to admit his righteous ass kicking in the yard at Castle Black brought a smile to my face.

3. Ned - "You're a very funny man" :D His interactions with the KL crew will be fun to watch all season.

4. Varys - Already feels like the most quietly dangerous "man" in the realm.

5. Ser Barristan Selmy - Quiet, experienced gentleman soldier who is obviously still not a man to be fucked with even in his later years.

Most Disappointing:

1. Renly - No presence, no charisma, nothing to make me believe people will follow this guy in ACOK; he just seems like a boring 20-something and is nothing like what I envisioned. The first really major disappointment for me thus far in the series. Desperately needs to step his game up.

I'm just gonna do a simple 5-star ranking for each main actor, as it stands right now. I'm not going to include people like Renly or Theon or Rickon or Selmy who have basically had one line to read so far or a very brief appearance.

5 (outstanding, nearly perfect, really understand their character and make for memorable scenes):

Arya, Tyrion, Ned, Jaime, Robert, Benjen, Catelyn, Syrio, Old Nan

4 (very good, but a few flaws, not fully developed, or very slightly off tone):

Littlefinger, Varys, Jorah, Bran, The Old Bear, Viserys

3 (a bit weak, don't quite understand their character yet, missing "something" or chose an odd potrayal):

Cersei (close to a 4 though, she's growing on me), Jon, Daenerys, Drogo

2 (wooden, one-note, maybe lost)

Joffrey, Sansa, Robb

1 (horrible, laughable, unwatchable, irredeemable):

(none yet)

EDIT: Thanks for pointing out Viserys, NW Deserter, I knew I was forgetting someone. I give him a 4 that could be a high 3. It's a slightly weird portrayal, but I like it. I think he could be slightly more intense and cruel and a little less pathetic.

I'm just gonna do a simple 5-star ranking for each main actor, as it stands right now. I'm not going to include people like Renly or Theon or Rickon or Selmy who have basically had one line to read so far or a very brief appearance.

5 (outstanding, nearly perfect, really understand their character and make for memorable scenes):

Arya, Tyrion, Ned, Jaime, Robert, Benjen, Catelyn, Syrio, Old Nan

4 (very good, but a few flaws, not fully developed, or very slightly off tone):Littlefinger, Varys, Jorah, Bran, The Old Bear

3 (a bit weak, don't quite understand their character yet, missing "something" or chose an odd potrayal):

Cersei (close to a 4 though, she's growing on me), Jon, Daenerys, Drogo

Joffrey, Sansa, Robb

(none yet)

Where do you put Viserys on this scale?

Also: nice way of measuring.

Episode 3 much better than episode 2. Episode 2 much better than Episode 1.

But then the first 200 pages of the book (covered in episode one) were something I just barely got through, then I became fascinated. The series is perhaps the same way for me.

Ned, Arya, Tyrion, Catelyn, Jorah

4 (very good, but a few flaws, not fully developed, or very slightly off tone):

Robert, Bran, The Old Bear, Cersei, the Hound, Drogo, Joffrey (dislike character, but performance is OK)

Jon, Daenerys, Robb, Sansa, Renley, Ilyn.

I actually think Jon's acting is OK, but his face is fat, and his acting is not excellent enough to overome that. Sorry, in life is that would be a shallow thought, but in fantasy heroes are supposed to be handsome. It's a fantasy - guys would have a fit if Dany had a fat face, so I think the casting is sexist.

Viserys, Littlefinger, Lancel, Varys (last two may improve, no good lines in this episode)

Old Nan (sorry, it is her vocal tone, I've told plenty of stories to sick kids, and even a horror story is not told in that tone)

N/A Not the actors fault, just miscast or mis-written: Benjen ( I never pictured this guy as creepy looking), Iri (she is actually doing a good job but the character is silly fluff, imo, since I personally just get no thrills from what I know is coming.)

IMO, most rating Cat low should just admit a dislike of middle aged women and spare the actress, who is doing really good work. (The general liking for Nan kind of surprises me, but I guess it is because she told a horror story in such a dramatic voice?)

I think Cersei and Jaime look a little young but I do believe them as twins, which is nice.

I actually think Jon's acting is OK, but his face is fat, and his acting is not excellent enough to overome that. Sorry, in life is that would be a shallow thought, but in fantasy heroes are supposed to be handsome. It's a fantasy - guys would have a fit if Dany had a fat face, so I think the casting is sexist.

If Dany had a fat face?! Emilia Clarke is beautiful, but her face is just as pudgy as Kit Harrington's, IMO.

Archived