[NO SPOILERS] Episode 3 Character Rankings

TheEvilKing

If Dany had a fat face?! Emilia Clarke is beautiful, but her face is just as pudgy as Kit Harrington's, IMO.

I second that. Emilia is certainly less fit than Kit and has the same kind of face and there's nothing wrong with Dany. Jon isn't even a character that's described as handsome and if you want a fat face you'll have to wait for Sam.

(The general liking for Nan kind of surprises me, but I guess it is because she told a horror story in such a dramatic voice?)

That was the draw for me, sure. How is a scary story "supposed" to be told if not in a dramatic fashion?

I perceived Old Nan from the books as someone who didn't pull any punches when telling a story, and more importantly actually believed in the "legends" she was relaying. Almost as if she herself was a relic of that forgotten time. In that respect the portrayal was accurate and convincing.

N/A Not the actors fault, just miscast or mis-written: Benjen ( I never pictured this guy as creepy looking)

Creepy? That's among the last words I'd use to describe TV Benjen. I guess there really is no accounting for taste.

Old Nan (sorry, it is her vocal tone, I've told plenty of stories to sick kids, and even a horror story is not told in that tone)

(The general liking for Nan kind of surprises me, but I guess it is because she told a horror story in such a dramatic voice?)

I think this is a result of the medium, they are trying to establish that the Others (whitewalkers) are very scary... to children. This is done really effectively with this scene. The music and the tone of her voice really establish how frightening that story really should be, but then you are reminded that she is telling it to a little boy and she also tells story's about everybody living in a giant's eye. In short, these things were once a serious and forbidding threat, but are now scarcely thought about by grown-ups. (I also love the rambling way she tells the story, like she is a crazy old woman who doesn't always know exactly what she is saying or exactly who she is saying it to).

Now on to my rankings:

5 (outstanding, nearly perfect, really understand their character and make for memorable scenes):

Arya, Tyrion, Jaime, Robert, Benjen, Syrio, Old Nan, Jorah, Bran, Viserys

4 (very good, but a few flaws, not fully developed, or very slightly off tone):

Ned, Catelyn, Varys, The Old Bear, Joffrey, Cersei

3 (a bit weak, don't quite understand their character yet, missing "something" or chose an odd potrayal):

Jon, Daenerys, Drogo, The Hound, Littlefinger

2 (wooden, one-note, maybe lost)

Sansa, Robb

1 (horrible, laughable, unwatchable, irredeemable):

handmaidens

Notes:

Arya: Continues to impress, I can't sayenough nice things about her.

Bran: Hasn't had to do too much right now, but his performance has been brilliant. I didn't care too much for Bran in the books, but so far he is one of my favorite show characters. His twice delivered line of "I wish I were dead." Was chilling/heartbreaking/intense. If the rest of the episode had sucked (which it didn't) this scene would have been enough for me. I also liked how he timidly nodded when Old Nan asked if this was the sort of story he liked. Awesome.

Ned: I think he is maybe a little too emotional, not stoic enough. However, Bean's portrayal makes for better TV than someone who never expresses himself, and I do really like it, but I just can't give it a 5 yet.

Catelyn: She is doing a good job, but I didn't like her portrayal in the brothel with LF. "He's like a brother to me!" was too emotionally delivered for me, along with the string of other assurances about Petyr's trustworthiness. It seemed over-the-top is what I'm trying to say.

Cersei: I guess this isn't Lena's fault, I just don't think she would tell Joffrey he could "fuck painted whores", even the TV Cersei since she chastised Tyrion earlier for talking filthy in front of her children. Otherwise I have really loved her performance so far. She probably should be a five for her own performance, but that line addition by the writer's knocked her down a peg for me.

Jon: His performance has been a little too wooden for me, but he moved up a notch this episode, where I started to see some range of emotion. Hope this trend continues.

Daenerys: I really liked her in Ep01, but her performance has started to slide in that she isn't really changing her performance to exhibit anything more than really timid and scared, even when she 'commands' because she is a khaleesi

Littlefinger: Way to flat and boring in his delivery of lines. He is supposed to be witty and revel in his quick remarks. Just because you are smiling when you say something doesn't mean you sound like you like saying it. He needs to bring some inflection to his voice or he could quickly fall down a few pegs.

Sansa/Robb: Their characters have had little chance to develop, so there is still room for improvement, but they seem a little one-dimensional for such important players.

Handmaidens: I know they aren't very important characters, but I find the "It is known." line to be way too comical when spoken out loud. It read fine in the books but sounds ridiculous on screen. Also the boob grabbing to determine pregnancy is laughable. I guess this isn't the actresses fault, but I don't really care for their portrayal.

6 (I added my own category- and its touchy because in order to get a 6 you have to be playing a character that was lacking something in the books. So, in a way, a 6 is NOT strictly superior to a 5) ): The character in the show is actually slightly better than the character in the books:

Viserys: Generally speaking, the actor has taken an erratic character without well-defined attributes and has drawn disparate personality traits into a fully formed person (even if that person is horrible).

Robert: When you break down the GoT Robert, he's a two-dimensional character who is- in effect- waiting for a boar to gorge him. Addy's Robert is alive and miserable. Miserable.

5 (outstanding, nearly perfect, really understand their character and make for memorable scenes):

Tyrion- Probably the most true to his book counterpart.

Ned- I like show Ned better than book Ned, but probably because book Ned seems like the most dour man in Westeros.

Jaime - My favorite character in the book, the show's Jaime is the biggest "victim" of front-loading the story (ie: we have to "explain" stuff so the audience is not lost). However, he's such a terrific character and so multi-faceted that he can take it. Oh, and he's the only guy to talk back to Ned.

4 (very good, but a few flaws, not fully developed, or very slightly off tone):

Cersei: I like THIS Cersei a lot and I think she is catching a lot of the subtlety of the pre-AFfC Cersei.

Jorah: He is performing a VITAL service to the series: he is physically and effectively bridging the Dany world with the Westeroes one. He is also providing a lot of context.

Arya- She's a great character. I like what is going on with her but its really not that difficult. In other words, I'm the one guy who does not think Arya is the second coming of Meril Streep. Sue me.

Littlefinger, Varys, Bran, The Old Bear, Benjen, Syrio- basically they all fall into the same category - not enough screen time for me to think much of them. Yes, I know many think Serios is the greatest thing to happen to the sci-fi genre since the lightsaber, but in reality: he is a third-level character that adds a good deal to his part of the story and that's about it. And yes, I hate fun.

Daenerys - I think the actress is capturing the Dany in transition that is required: strong enough to know her potential; unsure enough to hold back. I also think that the actress playing Dany wins the award for "Best-performance-by-an-actor-with-the-least-amount-of-dialog."

Joffrey- Best line I heard about Joff (from another boarder): (paraphrase) "I knew they cast the right actor for Joff because as soon as I saw him I wanted to punch him in the face repeatedly."

Sansa: She's doing a lot of things right, and she is working like a champ to minimize the issue of her being 15 and playing a caharcter who was supposed to be 11. So, yeah, kinda love Sansa in book and in show.

3 (a bit weak, don't quite understand their character yet, missing "something" or chose an odd portrayal):

Robb- Very close to a 4. I think Robb is living up to his roll in he represents the ETERNAL stability in the North and in the stoic dependability of the Starks and Ned.

Catelyn- Not buying what she's selling. Cat was never one of my favorite caharcters and the actress playing Cat has done nothing to change my mind. I find her to be even more shrill and nervous than the book Cat and I didn't think that was possible.

Jon: Here's a shock: Jon Snow has done nothing to make me love him nor anything that would make somebody else hate him. In a way, the actor is NAILING this part, but I am not sure that's a complement. Is milquetoast a synonym for "Snow?"

2 (wooden, one-note, maybe lost)

Drogo: Hi. I'm a caricature.

1 (horrible, laughable, unwatchable):

Old Nan- Okay, so you just wake up from a coma. And you are asked if you want a story and you mutter that you like scary stories. and suddenly this crazy woman who you supposedly have known your whole life starts babbling on about winters that last 100 years and nights that last a generation and how everyone freezes to death and kids die in their mothers arms... I mean, if your Bran, is it out of the question that you look up and say "You know, I'd really like to return to that coma."

Maester Aemon: So, the scene where Tyrion is discussing the issues beyond the Wall with the Old Bear and Aemon. And suddenly Aemon starts talking... and talking and talking. And he sounds about as close to crazy as a character can sound. Its so distant from the dependable and clear-headed Aemon of the books. And then (unintentionally) the Old Bear starts looking back and forth between the two and its kinda like he's saying, "Look, we know this guy sounds crazy, just whe he's done I'll set it all straight." He's so crazy sounding that I half expected Aemon to drift and say, "Fear leads to anger; anger leads to hate; hate ... leads to suffering!"

Renly: Another boarder stated the obvious: show Renly lacks all the charisma and flash of the book Renly and this is critical to the character's success. This needs to change fast.

I actually think Jon's acting is OK, but his face is fat, and his acting is not excellent enough to overome that. Sorry, in life is that would be a shallow thought, but in fantasy heroes are supposed to be handsome. It's a fantasy - guys would have a fit if Dany had a fat face, so I think the casting is sexist.

I don't think he has a fat face? And the difference between Dany and Jon is that Dany is described as beautiful. While Jon is not, so why would they hire based on appearance? I also find him a good actor.

Old Nan- Okay, so you just wake up from a coma. And you are asked if you want a story and you mutter that you like scary stories. and suddenly this crazy woman who you supposedly have known your whole life starts babbling on about winters that last 100 years and nights that last a generation and how everyone freezes to death and kids die in their mothers arms... I mean, if your Bran, is it out of the question that you look up and say "You know, I'd really like to return to that coma."

I'm afraid I don't follow this one at all. Bran says that his favorite stories were the scary ones and she goes on to say that and then asks if that's the kind of story he wants to hear, to which he nods. By your description it sounds like he wouldn't want to hear that, which is obviously the opposite of what happens in the scene.

And he hasn't just woken up from the coma. He wakes when the king's following haven't even left the north yet and this scene happens after they've arrived at King's Landing.

I have to say that I didn't like Syrio. I know thats not a popular opinion, but its not at all what I had imagined. TV Syrio is a bit frumpy and has a fro. He has giant legs and if you dyed his hair red he'd look like a clown in that outfit. I pictured Syrio as skinny, a bit taller, and more elegant. I dont picture this guy being able to fight off anyone with a wooden sword. I dont much like the accent either.

Most of all though, I think it is his tree trunk legs that bother me.

My opinion might change as I see him more, and I hope so. Anyone else share the opinion or is it just me?

My opinion might change as I see him more, and I hope so. Anyone else share the opinion or is it just me?

Doesn't bother me. Powerful legs are good for a warrior (just look at some olympic fencers). Also, I think it's mainly his loose pants that make his legs look so absurdly huge.

Holy shit I loved this episode. This show is getting exponentially better every week. And the goddamn tourney is up next. Hell yes.

Anyway, here are this week's Official character rankings.

BADASS RANKINGS:

1. Syrio Forel obviously

2. Jon Snow

3. Rakharo - granted, it was only Viserys he owned

4. Ned - way more badass than the books. I cracked up at the scene outside the brothel.

5. King Robert - telling drunken war stories about beating up Tarlys with his warhammer. Nice.

Honourable mention: Allister Thorne - came off more as a strict, somewhat ruthless taskmaster than a total jerk

Dishonourable mention: Viserys. What a bitch.

CHARACTER PORTRAYAL RANKINGS:

1. Tyrion

2. Arya

3. Jorah

4. Robert

5. Cat

Honourable mention: Pycelle - doddering old fool who isn't as senile as he pretends to be

Dishonourable mention: Nobody. Tremendous episode all round.

Agree and double agree. However, I would like to express my disappointment in the elderly and thoroughly shabby Ser Ilyn Payne. Made me sad.

Maximum Dinklage airtime ftw

Top five, in some order or other: Tyrion, Arya, Robert, Jorah, Benjen

Also really liked: Jon, Syrio, Barristan, Jaime, Viserys, Sansa, Bran, Robb, Varys

Ned was acceptable.

Cersei ... I am open to the idea of re-interpretation of Cersei's character, but I did feel jarred by her advice scene with Joffrey. On the one hand I do enjoy this Cersei, but on the other hand I wonder if it's the wisest idea in the long run, and now and then I miss the outrageousness of the books' Cersei.

Aemon & Ilyn: minor characters don't really get my panties in a twist, but for what it's worth, boy did they seem off.

Catelyn: Better than the first two episodes, but still too rustic and cute-ified. She is sorely lacking her sense of regality and stature and polish. Also, "Back alley Sally"? Really, B&W?

Littlefinger: When I watch his moments in and of themselves I love him, but within the flow of a scene he seems disjointed. Not sure what's going on there specifically that makes me think that.

Joffrey: Don't know where these departures from the books are going w.r.t. his character. Fleshing him out to make him more dimensional? Joffrey never was interested in learning how to rule or listening to his mother's advice, and he always seemed to have a bonafide interest in Sansa. Just not sure where it's going.

I have to say that I didn't like Syrio. I know thats not a popular opinion, but its not at all what I had imagined. TV Syrio is a bit frumpy and has a fro. He has giant legs and if you dyed his hair red he'd look like a clown in that outfit. I pictured Syrio as skinny, a bit taller, and more elegant. I dont picture this guy being able to fight off anyone with a wooden sword. I dont much like the accent either.

I pictured Syrio from the book as taller and thinner as well. I didn't mind the accent, but his plumpness made him seem a lot less nimble. Plump as a piglet... fat as a walrus!

Same with Jon Snow. His fat face with the neck-beard annoys me.

I'm coming late to the thread but anyway here goes:

The real standouts for me (in addition to the immediately arresting and unsurpassed Dinklage) were Cersei and Jorah, who both have a presence and depth that you only get with really seasoned character actors. The fact that Lena Headey's portrayal is different from the books doesn't bother me; her Cersei is infinitely more layered and intelligent than GRRM's. Bravo for improving on the character as written.

Sean Bean is more effective than I expected; he captures Ned's austerity but also his warmth and affection, which could easily have gotten lost in a more generic "I am a stoic man of the North" portrayal. But he's also saddled with a lot of clunky lines, like in the scene with Arya where he calls her "sweet girl." Really?

For some reason I'm really digging Emilia Clarke as Dany. Not sure why, since she hasn't had much to do yet. But she has a "still waters run deep" vibe (most apparent in the first episode). Viserys is even better. Ditto Benjen.

Syrio is an annoying ethnic stereotype, massively overplayed. There's a performance that could have used more understatement. He's the first relatively important character who made me cringe.

Archived