Design firm criticizes GoT

KokoDrogo

A friend sent me a link to this...it got me kinda irritated and I wanted to share:

http://www.ideacouture.com/blog/2011/05/01/hbo-design-thinking-and-tv/

Seems pretty wonky as a critique. What does everybody else think?

Poorly written, complete op-ed piece of not much substance. Lots of blah-blahing, very little content.

To top it off, the second-to-last paragraph is basically an advertisement for the firm. Yeah... ok.

Apparently they missed Ginia Bellafante's explanation that the seasons in GoT are metaphor for global warming. Timely, relevant, and all done without Idea Couture's proprietary zeitgeist-analyzing industry scan. ;)

I didn't look at the link, so I'll take it on faith that it's as bad as you guys say.

But I will add this: In instances where the show is shown even the mildest of criticisms, fans of the story are not coming off very well.

A good example of this is the popcandy blog. If anyone gets geek fandom, it's her, and the comments on her posts about the show were brutal.

Granted, it's likely a small percentage of fans, but i don't recall seeing this kind of reaction for other shows/movies.

That was terribly written and muddled - are they blasting those character images? Do they know they were made by fans, not HBO?

Maybe they do, but it was hard to discern their actual point.

That was terribly written and muddled - are they blasting those character images? Do they know they were made by fans, not HBO?

Maybe they do, but it was hard to discern their actual point.

Seems to me that they just wanted to post something related to GoT to get some foot traffic to their site so they can shill for their service. :dunno:

This person is one of those individuals who believes all forms of entertainment should incorporate relevant societal topics and issues within their stories, music, films, etc. That entertainment should preach and teach and not entertain, but the masses want to be entertained, period. If this person only likes what he likes, they should produce it themselves and not try to make the industries change their tune and march to a different drummer.

To be honest I would have preferred it if the producers had shed the whole "fantasy" tag and labelled it instead a "fictional" world. The word fantasy has been used for far too long as a hook from which to hang belittling criticism. If Avatar had been marketted as Fantasy Schlock it would have only attracted the minimal attention it deserved. Instead the "3D" buzzword was used and the rest is history.

I read it. Was going to make a comment then realized it wouldn't make a difference. Well, they plan seems to be working - it is getting people to their site. But...lead a horse to water/get them to drink seems appropriate here.

A good example of this is the popcandy blog. If anyone gets geek fandom, it's her, and the comments on her posts about the show were brutal.

Granted, it's likely a small percentage of fans, but i don't recall seeing this kind of reaction for other shows/movies.

There has been a couple of threads about this. Critiquing the Critics for one. It is an interesting phenomenon. I don't know enough about other shows/movies to compare.

If you read the last comment (so far) by the blog's author, he digs his own grave by further clarifying that he has no problem with the show on an 'intellectual' level and can understand its 'intellectual' appeal, but it just doesn't resonate for him in particular. How this one's dude's personal tastes have anything to do with such a thing as 'design thinking', I have no clue. Especially when you consider that the term itself is actually meaningless (the way that it's used here, anyway) and is just a means by which certain designers distance themselves even further from the people they're purporting to serve. It's a term used by pseudo-highbrow designers to tell people that designers are smarter than you and that you should let them take care of the thinking for you.

And this is coming from a designer. (A pseudo-highbrow one, in fact.)

I got lost when they started listing other shows for some reason and just skipped to the bottom where they come off like someone trying to do an advertisement while in the witness box.

"At our firm we don't encourage triple murder suicides!"

He claims to understand that tv shows should be tailored to public interests even at the cost of originality, yet insists that they all be culturally relevant. He claims that tv should be informative and intelligent, yet watches (and enjoys) some of the stupidest shit out there. He claims that Game of Thrones is neither informative/intelligent/relevant, and yet completely ignores the fact that most of its intrigue spawned from the gritty reality of medieval culture. Worst anthropologist ever.

Archived