Major League Baseball

Kat

That choice shut me down. I refused to choose either. Guess I am condemned to the cricket threads.

Yeah, I actually got to the branch point before that about sushi (choosing the other way would've brought me to my other favorite team), went "eh, I like sushi" and then was forced to wonder whether I would ever bring an appletini anywhere, let alone to a baseball game. Ultimately went with the clear. That probably says something unfortunate, but alas.

in the "slightly ironic" category, Jeter becomes the 2nd person to get 3k hits with a homerun. still amazed that he is the first Yankee to get 3k hits.

yes and even more ironic is the other one is wade boggs, who in addition to being a teammate of Jeter's, was not really a big home run hitter either.

it really is insane no other yankee got 3,000 hits. mattingly and mantle didn't play long enough, and dimaggio missed 3 seasons due to WW2.

I'm wearing my DJ3K hat and shirt as we speak, i drove to Modell's immediately after the hit.

yes and even more ironic is the other one is wade boggs, who in addition to being a teammate of Jeter's, was not really a big home run hitter either.

it really is insane no other yankee got 3,000 hits. mattingly and mantle didn't play long enough, and dimaggio missed 3 seasons due to WW2.

I'm wearing my DJ3K hat and shirt as we speak, i drove to Modell's immediately after the hit.

Dimaggio missed 3000 by far more than would have been projected over three seasons. He ended up 786 short and never had more than 215 in any season and only exceeded 200 twice - his first two years. He fell short through a combination of three factors - injuries, the war and the fact that the Seals wouldn't let him go to the majors right away though he was clearly ready. In that era, Pacific Coast League baseball was nearly as lucrative as MLB and Joe was the Seals' primary draw.

Gehrig is a much better candidate for 'Yankee what if'. He fell 279 short and if he'd have had the sort of gradual physical decline that baseball players normally experience, he'd have easily milked out a few more years with 100+ hits.

If you are gonna root for Satan, you oughta know the history. :devil:

I would have rather seen Jeter get struck by lightning than hit 3000. I think I'm just really bitter, because the Mariners seem to be doing their usual mid season collapse that they seem to do every season. Ichiro is only 653 away from 3000. Thats about three more season if he keeps up the pattern of 200+ hits in a season which he is on track to do again this season, considering he's at 99 right now and will likely hit tomorrow... I hope.

Also, A-Rod is a traitor :leaving: .

And is getting killed for it by a lot of the talking heads in sports radio and call-in toolboxes. One fine human being called in to say that he deserved to be stoned by baseballs on the Yankee Stadium floor for making such a stupid decision.

I weep for sports fandom sometimes.

I'm a pretty consistent Yankee hater - I think that's part of the fun of being a baseball fan who roots for any other team - but I've always liked and had a lot of respect for Jeter. Probably Michigan bias.

And is getting killed for it by a lot of the talking heads in sports radio and call-in toolboxes. One fine human being called in to say that he deserved to be stoned by baseballs on the Yankee Stadium floor for making such a stupid decision.

I'm a pretty consistent Yankee hater - I think that's part of the fun of being a baseball fan who roots for any other team - but I've always liked and had a lot of respect for Jeter. Probably Michigan bias.

It might be, but even in Sox Nation central Jeter and Rivera are the two names that come up in the "hate them because of pinstripes, but respect them because of how they play and handles themselves" discussions.

So this morning I get to hear about all the evils of the all star game because the NL won and it may ruin the BoSox chances without home field. I sometimes wonder if Selig and the powers that be actually do listen to the customer, because this is one of the worst decisions I've ever seen in pro sports.

Thought the all-star game was fairly boring, as usual. One question though, was Justin Timberlake interviewed on national television while completely drunk? Sure seemed like it.

Thought the all-star game was fairly boring, as usual. One question though, was Justin Timberlake interviewed on national television while completely drunk? Sure seemed like it.

Did he ask if could kiss the interviewer? If he didn't, he wasn't.

in the "slightly ironic" category, Jeter becomes the 2nd person to get 3k hits with a homerun. still amazed that he is the first Yankee to get 3k hits.

Still think that this is an amazing fact...if only because, love 'em or hate 'em, you almost expect there to be more Yankees represented among the upper echelon records of baseball...

Anything to jazz up the game!

And that's saying something when you consider that the Baseball All Star Game is probably the one that's the most relevant of the three major sports and hockey..."home field advantage" not withstanding...what I mean is, football plays theirs (usually) after the Superbowl and no one cares anymore. Basketball's is looked at as nothing more than one big party and there isn't much to a game where the game is only being played by guys going back and forth on the court scoring each and every time...and hockey is hockey, whatever. They have some sort of All Star game I hear...Baseball at least, even when it's not being taken seriously by the players is still played by guys who are actually playing the game. There's no grooving pitches to see who can get the most homeruns or players lollygagging a grounder to short...

He's getting plenty of official compensation for it:

The 2009 Yankees World Series ring came courtesy of Mitchell Modell, CEO of Modell's Sporting Goods, who got the ring because Modell's sponsors the Yankees. Both Modell and Brandon Steiner, CEO of Steiner Sports, guaranteed Lopez at least $25,000 each toward his outstanding student loans of $150,000.

Steiner said he got a call on Wednesday from his buddy Modell, and they got the ball rolling. Steiner set up an auction of memorabilia that eventually will include baseballs signed by both Lopez and Jeter and said Modell is pledging five percent from the sale of Yankees-related merchandise at the Modell's chain during what will be called "Christian Lopez Week."

Wearing a broad smile, a personalized Yankees hat, a DJ3K shirt and a new piece of jewelry, Lopez admitted at Modell's in Times Square he was "absolutely speechless right now." Lopez has been overrun with requests since Saturday.

"It's been overwhelming to be honest with you," he said. "It's been a little crazy. But I'm handling it as best I can. I'm trying to get back to everybody I can."

That includes Topps, which said it will produce a trading card featuring Lopez that will be included in sets later this year. Company vice president for sports Mark Sapir says Topps employees were impressed by Lopez's selfless act.

I'm sure the ball would've been worth plenty of money. But things seem to be working out okay for him.

Same here. I'm not a baseball historian, but when I heard that I was shocked.

But the Yankees are notorious for buying other teams talented players, and dumping them toward the end of their careers. Yankees don't get golden twilights as often as other teams' players. There are exceptions of course.

Archived