[BOOK SPOILERS] Renly, WTF?

Ser Sean

Renly would have demanded everyones attention instantly in a 'Yes I'm aware my unfettered cock is resting on the table but I dare any of you to question it' way

Actually, when I first read AGOT. Renly was the least memorable BY FAR.

So, yes, this fits me.

It's only in the second book he becomes important.

It seems like some of y'all are confusing your own personal image of Renly with what's actually in the literature. Besides being funny and personable, I don't really remember much about him at all in GoT.

I am re-reading AGOT and just read the chapter where Renly is introduced. He is described as the handsomest man Sansa has ever seen (she hadn't met Loras yet!). "His companion was a man near twenty whose armor was steel plate of a deep forest-green. He was the handsomest man Sansa had ever set eyes upon; tall and powerfully made, with jet-black hair that fell to his shoulders and framed a clean-shaven face, and laughing green eyes to match his armor. Cradled under one arm was an antlered helm, its magnificent rack shimmering in gold."

One thing I miss in general from the books on the show is the longer hair for men. Jaime, Renly, Joffrey..

I am re-reading AGOT and just read the chapter where Renly is introduced. He is described as the handsomest man Sansa has ever seen (she hadn't met Loras yet!). "His companion was a man near twenty whose armor was steel plate of a deep forest-green. He was the handsomest man Sansa had ever set eyes upon; tall and powerfully made, with jet-black hair that fell to his shoulders and framed a clean-shaven face, and laughing green eyes to match his armor. Cradled under one arm was an antlered helm, its magnificent rack shimmering in gold."

One thing I miss in general from the books on the show is the longer hair for men. Jaime, Renly, Joffrey..

Consider the source... it's also her first time heading south. She's an 11 year old girl who has only ever seen northmen. She falls in love with every gay man she meets.

heh, this thread is awesome.

I agree with the gist of it. But Addy has started to become my visual of Robert. He's been so damn good. I'm doing a re-read of AGoT and I can hear Addy's voice when Robert thunders away about the meleé.

So that said, tv show Renly does look like tv Robert. Neither are as studly as they were in the book. It will be interesting to see how they cast my man Stannis.

I for one am glad that the cast don't look like they belong in an 80s hair metal band. For the most part. That's the sort of thing that gives fantasy a bad rep.

C'mon! Renly's been in the spotlight for like two seconds! I know most of these gripes are based on his appearance but give it a chance.

If someone starts out stiff as an actor, they can always improve, but it's not like TV Renly can suddenly become beautiful no matter how charismatic an actor he is.

Meh. I never pictured Renly as being outlandishly handsome in the books. I thought Loras was supposed to be the stunningly pretty one (I always picture him like Lancelot from Excalibur).. Brienne may see him that way, but much of it could be in her head alone. Unless his acting sucks, which doesn't seem likely, I don't see what the problem is

I totally agree. Besides he's good enough looking that if he's well acted and played with an ounce of charisma, it should translate fine on screen. I think some people just don't want to let go of their preconceptions they formed of Renly from reading the books. I do hope the acting of this character won't disappoint, but there's no way we've seen enough so far to come to that conclusion.

While I agree that his appearance is nowhere close to how I pictured it (based on the book's description) I'm hoping that the actor will at least capture his character/personality properly, which in the end is far more important then if the visual is spot on.

I was a little disappointed that it took them this long to introduce him...I was instead hoping for him to show up in the tent after the direwolf/Micah fiasco where he mocks Joffery for being an utter pansy. :rofl:

spoiler for upcoming episode:

From this article...

We get gay knights shaving one another's bodies.

Hmmm. Guess that refers to the upcoming mysterios Renly/Loras scene.

And, well, maybe they don't stop at the body and this part of the original poster's criticism:

but we get a spindly speck with a 15 year olds beard growth

...becomes moot. :P

We're not going to get a five-minute erotic man-man shaving scene, are we? I'd hate for HBO to fill time with something like while they're squelching good book scenes. I never really understood why it was even important for Renly & Loras to be gay. :rolleyes:

Archived