[No Spoilers] EP104 Discussion

Im wondering if anyone else caught the little "easter-egg" when Viserys was naming the dragon skulls?

Vermithrax.

When I heard that I actually stopped and did a quick rewind just to make sure I heard correctly. Yup,I did.

Not sure if it was D&D who threw that in or the director Brian Kirk. But for me it was a geek moment from my past, from one of my favorite fantasy movies from the 80's, Dragonslayer.

One of the best done stop (go) motion special effects. And in my opinion the best looking dragon ever put in a movie.

Sorry if its slightly off topic, but wasnt sure where else to put it.

Do I have to turn in my nerd membership card for not having a clue what Vermithrax is and having never watched that movie? ;)

I really enjoyed the episode and thought there were fine performances all around. Thorne, much to my surprise, was a standout to me. He's still an asshole of course, but he feels like a more interesting character to me than he did in the book. I got chills when he said the "When the winter comes, you will die like flies” line. The actor is doing an outstanding job with what was a very one dimensional character in the book.

I thought the Sam actor did a really good job of squealing pitifully when he was knocked down the first time. God, he did such a good job at being pathetic...you could FEEL the discomfort of the other young brothers watching. LOL. He was great. And I loved seeing Dany relaxing into her role as Khaleesi and speaking Dothraki.

Im wondering if anyone else caught the little "easter-egg" when Viserys was naming the dragon skulls?

Vermithrax.

When I heard that I actually stopped and did a quick rewind just to make sure I heard correctly. Yup,I did.

Not sure if it was D&D who threw that in or the director Brian Kirk. But for me it was a geek moment from my past, from one of my favorite fantasy movies from the 80's, Dragonslayer.

One of the best done stop (go) motion special effects. And in my opinion the best looking dragon ever put in a movie.

Sorry if its slightly off topic, but wasnt sure where else to put it.

Actually, George lists Dragonslayer as one of his top favorite fantasy films. I don't know if the writers knew that and wrote it in, or if it's just a coincidence.

I also may lose my nerd card, as I'd never heard of that movie either (in my defense, it was released before I was born).

• 5 months later...

Archived