[Book Spoilers] Episode 5 Preview

2. The Jon Snow story seems to go on full hiatus for episodes 5 and 6, as he doesn't take his vows until episode 7. I don't believe much else happens in his story until then, so we might get a scene or two of Jon-Sam bonding - perhaps Jon convincing Aemon to take Sam on, but that's it for the next two weeks.

They will give us a normal amount of Jon scenes in eps. 5-6 in my opinion. They want the stars to get a lot of air time each episode. Note how there are 1-2 made up Jaime scenes per episode despite him playing basically no part in the first book.

There's actually a lot of characters whose casting haven't been revealed who nevertheless must be in the show this season. Miri Maz Duur immediately comes to mind. And there are characters who have already had lines in the show and who were never mentioned, like Ser Hugh. I think I read somewhere that this season had 162 speaking parts. That's obviously a LOT more than all that were revealed initially.

Mirri Maz Duur is listed as being played by Mia Soteriou at http://lexicopia.blogspot.com/2010/06/cast-of-hbos-game-of-thrones.html . Don't know the source of this cast list, but it lists a lot of minor characters.

The preview for next week's episode has been uploaded here. What does everyone make of it?

This is the episode that deals with the part of the book where things really started to get exciting for me. Not that the book had been boring up to this point, by any means, because GRRM takes his time to build up the suspense and let the reader get to know his characters before shit really starts to hit the fan. I'm really looking forward to this episode.

Mirri Maz Duur is listed as being played by Mia Soteriou at http://lexicopia.blogspot.com/2010/06/cast-of-hbos-game-of-thrones.html . Don't know the source of this cast list, but it lists a lot of minor characters.

Okay. That list is more comprehensive than the IMDB one. Still, it's not 162. Minor speaking roles still aren't revealed, like for instance the three knights of the Tully bannermen that Catelyn speaks to at the end of episode 4. The three kingsguard knights would likely fall under that category since they would only appear for that one flashback, even if they were "important" in the backstory. Keeping fingers crossed!

Okay. That list is more comprehensive than the IMDB one. Still, it's not 162. Minor speaking roles still aren't revealed, like for instance the three knights of the Tully bannermen that Catelyn speaks to at the end of episode 4. The three kingsguard knights would likely fall under that category since they would only appear for that one flashback, even if they were "important" in the backstory. Keeping fingers crossed!

You're right, let's hope for at least one Ned flashback/dream! I was happy to see Lommy Greenhands on the cast list. He's someone that could be easily eliminated since he doesn't make it as far into the story as Hot Pie. Also, the unfortunate stable boy has apparently been cast as well.

I think the episode will end with Ned fighting Jaime and the guards, and injuring his leg, leaving it on a cliffhanger. Then the next episode will open with his dream sequence.

As long as Jaime kicks Ned's butt. As much as I like Ned and his new, more badass threats etc, if they try to make him equal or beat Jaime in swordplay, it will effectively ruin later story where Jaime being amazing as a swordsman and losing to Brienne and then losing it all is incredibly important to his character and he needs to be established in the TV show as excellent to make this fly. Plus then all the new viewers (who have been guessing that Ned will beat him and that his whole "I don't do tourneys so that when I fight a man he doesn't know what I can do" spiel means he is amazing) will get a lovely shock in discovering that Jaime may be arrogant but that's because he is the best

There's actually a lot of characters whose casting haven't been revealed who nevertheless must be in the show this season. Miri Maz Duur immediately comes to mind. And there are characters who have already had lines in the show and who were never mentioned, like Ser Hugh. I think I read somewhere that this season had 162 speaking parts. That's obviously a LOT more than all that were revealed initially.

both of those castings have been revealed and documented. Check WIC

These threads are book spoilers, so spoil away!

Isn't that Littlefinger we see in the back view in the final frame? WTF? All I can think of is he's there, posed like that (looking at the throne) because he is the ultimate player in the game of thrones. Anybody else have input?

He's the best player of the game.

As long as Jaime kicks Ned's butt. As much as I like Ned and his new, more badass threats etc, if they try to make him equal or beat Jaime in swordplay, it will effectively ruin later story where Jaime being amazing as a swordsman and losing to Brienne and then losing it all is incredibly important to his character and he needs to be established in the TV show as excellent to make this fly. Plus then all the new viewers (who have been guessing that Ned will beat him and that his whole "I don't do tourneys so that when I fight a man he doesn't know what I can do" spiel means he is amazing) will get a lovely shock in discovering that Jaime may be arrogant but that's because he is the best

When I watched Episode 4 on HBO GO, one of the extras was a clip from David Benioff called "A Warrior at Court" about how Ned is a soldier (or a general), not a politician, and he says something to the effect of "Ned is the best soldier in the land." Now I suppose that's different from saying that he's best swordsman in the land, but it's definitely a different characterization of Ned than in the book.

If I remember correctly in the book Jaime gives the order to his men to attack and then rides away. I don't think they ever fought.

Yes, but there has been footage of Ned & Jaime in a sword fight, so it must be from this upcoming episode. It will clearly be a deviation from the book, since viewers expect them to duel at some point. I expect Jaime will injure Ned and then leave.

I expect Jaime will injure Ned and then leave.

The show's version of the fight will make Jaime much more honorable than the book's version, I'm afraid. Saying "kill his men" and leaving was sickening, while personally killing Jory and hurting Eddard in a fit of rage after your brother is kidnapped is more understanable.

Let's see how it plays out.

When I watched Episode 4 on HBO GO, one of the extras was a clip from David Benioff called "A Warrior at Court" about how Ned is a soldier (or a general), not a politician, and he says something to the effect of "Ned is the best soldier in the land." Now I suppose that's different from saying that he's best swordsman in the land, but it's definitely a different characterization of Ned than in the book.

In the book, Ned is presented as a very good general. So it's not that different.

While Jaime is certainly a better fighter than Ned, I think its made pretty clear in the book that Ned is a great swordsman, even though the book doesn’t give him a real chance to show it in the "present" time of GOT. I see no reason why he should come off as a push over in this scene.

While Jaime is certainly a better fighter than Ned, I think its made pretty clear in the book that Ned is a great swordsman, even though the book doesn’t give him a real chance to show it in the "present" time of GOT. I see no reason why he should come off as a push over in this scene.

Ned isn't a great swordsman. GRRM made it pretty clear via email in the SSM compilation. As far as textual evidence goes, we know that Arthur Dayne would have killed him if it wasn't for Howland Reed, and we know that Yohn Royce beat him to the ground when they sparred with tourney swords.

Yeah, I was just about to say...

My memory of the specifics may be a little fuzzy, but I thought Ned was badly outnumbered in the fight next week and him and his handful of guys cut their way through a ton of people before the end.

Ned is clearly a skilled swordsman.

Ned isn't a great swordsman. GRRM made it pretty clear via email in the SSM compilation. As far as textual evidence goes, we know that Arthur Dayne would have killed him if it wasn't for Howland Reed, and we know that Yohn Royce beat him to the ground when they sparred with tourney swords.

Arthur Dayne was the best bar none. Jaime thinks Dayne can take out Loras and all the other current Kingsguards with two hands tied behind his back. Ned is no Sword of Mourning, but he was at least able to keep Dayne busy while Howard Reed rolfstomped the White Bull and the other guy that was there.

Archived