[No Spoilers] Where were the sigil's

OK, was I just blind, or did *none* of the three men whose sigils Catelyn calls out actually have any visible insignia? Maybe on shields that Cat had seen earlier but were resting on the floor? I dunno...

As important as heraldry is to these stories, you would think, particularly in a scene like that, that they would want to make sure the audience actually sees the remarked upon sigils. Spotting the Twin Towers that indicated a Frey man-at-arms shouldn't be like a game of Where's Waldo Walder.

Maybe someone with sharper eyes than mine saw them?

Hi Greylander,

I couldn't spot any sigils either, apart from the Frey man whose breastplate/chainmail seemed to have a Twins pattern.

I thought that Catelyn and Ser Rodrik must have been looking around all the time they were there, spotting people perhaps as they came in before they settled down and took off any garb with sigils on it. They probably had a good look at the horses in the stable, too.

I'd have loved to see Whent's bats though :rolleyes:

If you look closely you can see an orange shield with a black bat on it, standing on the ground at the Harrenhal table, when Cat starts her speech. You see it even better just as she turns to the camera to talk to the Freys. As he's not wearing a coat I assume that's also lying there somewhere.

A shield with the red stallion is visible at the Bracken table, although Tyrion stands in the way of it a lot so it's mainly visible before he walks up to Cat's table.

I didn't see the twins sigil though but I'm very confident they are all there and we'll see them plainly in the next episode.

If you look closely you can see an orange shield with a black bat on it, standing on the ground at the Harrenhal table, when Cat starts her speech. You see it even better just as she turns to the camera to talk to the Freys. As he's not wearing a coat I assume that's also lying there somewhere.

A shield with the red stallion is visible at the Bracken table, although Tyrion stands in the way of it a lot so it's mainly visible before he walks up to Cat's table.

I didn't see the twins sigil though but I'm very confident they are all there and we'll see them plainly in the next episode.

Wow, my eyes plainly don't follow Syrio's advice and I.Should.Rewatch. Many times. :blushing:

Thank you for the screencaps, valacirca! And yes, I read on another thread that image embedding had been disabled here. You did the exactly right thing, with the links.

I looked and looked but could not see the Twins sigil. It's too bad, in a way, because did we not, as readers, find ourselves inexplicably interested in heraldry and full of gratitude for fans who documented it on websites such as this? I think the show had a shot at inspiring this kind of interest among the viewers as well, and the designers are being a little stingy.

It's good that the sigils were there, but doesn't Catelyn point them out as being on peoples jackets?

It's only the black bat of Harrenhal she mentions being embroidered on someone's coat, and the man responding isn't wearing a coat so it's probably on a bench or something. I would assume we get to see it in the next episode, together with the Frey sigil that wasn't visible at all.

It's only the black bat of Harrenhal she mentions being embroidered on someone's coat, and the man responding isn't wearing a coat so it's probably on a bench or something. I would assume we get to see it in the next episode, together with the Frey sigil that wasn't visible at all.

Makes sense.

I viewed the episode in HD and I didn't spot it until Tywin pointed out exactly where they were.

Me too. I didn't notice it during the episode, but yeah, they were basically invisible to the audience.

I'm thinking it was a good call on HBO's part to keep the sigils subtle, though. If everyone was walking around with giant animal symbols on their clothes, it could looks pretty ridiculous, and would certainly get old fast.

Nice detective work!

Tywin's Bastard, valacirca, Thanks! I just knew if the sigils were there, this was the place to ask! Now that I know where to look and can see the bat and stallion while watching the scene.

I can't still can spot any twin towers, but 2 of 3 isn't bad...

I agree the sigils shouldn't be over-done... so that they were on shields on the floor or whatever is good, but a very brief camera close-up on the bat or stallion just as Cat mentions them (just one of the two) might have been good. Just knowing the sigils are actually there and visible to the sharp-of-eye seals the perfection of the scene for me though. But for non-readers, I think a bit more emphasis on showing sigils would be good. All-in-all a minor quibble.

WildlingGirl, any chance you can point out where you think you saw the twin towers?

In any event like someone else said, I'm sure they'll all show up next week.

I'm thinking it was a good call on HBO's part to keep the sigils subtle, though. If everyone was walking around with giant animal symbols on their clothes, it could looks pretty ridiculous, and would certainly get old fast.

Yep, good point. Colorful shields and clothes sounds good on paper, but has a very high cheese factor when seeing it.

There is a diamond-shaped patch on the man's left sleeve near the elbow that contains several small bats on it (I could only see the leftmost bat but the way it's positioned indicates there are a few more little bats). The Frey guy seems to have something on his left sleeve as well, closer to his shoulder, but it's harder to make out. It took a dam good tv and pausing the dvr to see this stuff, though.

Archived