[No Spoilers] Official Episode 4 Character Rankings

Not my favourite episode so far. But still had some good stuff. Here's this week's Official rankings.

BADASS RANKINGS:

1. Ser Allister Thorne - Survived for 6 months North of the Wall. Surviving on the flesh of his dying brothers.

2. Jon Snow

3. Cat - she was pretty badass in the final scene. Despite it's foolishness.

4. Dany

5. Gregor Clegane

Honourable mention: Robb. Tried his best, but you can't be badass against Tyrion.

Dishonourable mention: Sam

ACTING RANKINGS:

1. Viserys

2. Jon Snow

3. Allister Thorne

4. Grand Maester Pycelle

5. Littlefinger - much improved from last week

Honourable mention: Sam

Dishonourable mention: Jory. Reminds me of Baldrick.

HISTORY LESSON OF THE WEEK:

1. The Names of the Dragons

2. Balon's Rebellion

3. The Story of the Mountain and the Hound

4. Abbreviated Version of Aegon's Conquest

5. The Tragedy of Samwell Tarly

Feel free to discuss the official rankings of post your own. :ack:

I agree with the people you selected for your badass ranking but I'd probably switch some of those around.

BADASS RANKINGS:

1. Ser Allister Thorne

2. Gregor Clegane - The Mountain that Rides is SCARY!

3. Jon Snow - I really enjoyed his scenes and he showed a lot of courage and integrity sticking up and helping Sam and using Ghost to keep Rast in line was awesome!

4. Dany - Being able to stand up against her brother took a LOT of courage

5. Cat - Yes, despite what she did has "Very Bad Idea" written all over it, arresting Tyrion was still a gutsy move. The reason I rank her at #5 though is I don't think this was a risk she HAD to take.

I'm not sure how to rank the acting. I think just about everyone did a great job.

5 - Amazing

Tyrion (steals the scene every. single. time.)

Viserys (excellent scenes with both Doreah and Dany)

4 - Really Good

Dany (excellent back and forth with Viserys in their scenes together)

Doreah (so hot. great exchange with Viserys in the tub)

Allister Thorne (badass. great parting words in that scene where they wouldn't touch Sam)

Arya (not much to do this episode and she shouldn't have been watching the tourney. Nice little scene on the steps with Ned, still.)

Hador (tiny role, but spot-on)

Rast (solidly playing the bully-ish malcontent on The Wall)

Ser Hugh (oh hai. you die well, ser. nicely played)

Gregor (well done introduction to The Mountain. Can't wait to see him in E05.)

Catelyn

The Hound (just standing there looking menacing and observing his bro; really effectively setting the mood)

Ghost (finally, a Ghost sighting! ferocious. loved it.)

Gendry

3 - Okay

Samwell Tarly (not quite as gentle and I had imagined, but passable)

Grenn (LOL @ spewing out spit)

Bran (not much to do this episode though)

Jaime (it's more like him if he would rather have accepted Ned's message for the King from Jory and read it himself instead of sending Jory away with the message undelivered.)

Cersei

Jon

Ned

Pycelle

Robb

Jory

Theon

Pyp

2 - Bad

Sansa (felt her scene with Septa Mordane was pointless and was almost "not there" during tourney scenes)

Littlefinger (comes across as quite a flat, dry and bland portrayal when I imagine he should be one of the more colorful characters. Really disappointed, but I'm starting to get used to it.)

Jorah (not that he's bad... it's just I care for him the least out of all the characters, which is in itself a bad thing I think)

1 - Sh!t

(thankfully no one in this series has been so bad to warrant being placed here)

^ I didn't quite see it like that. To me it seemed like Jon was grinning in amusement in the way the guys were avoiding hurting Sam and when Thorne rushes to grab him, the smile immediately vanishes and it seemed like Jon was at that moment slightly cautious of what Thorne was going to say or do. Not nearly a badass "bring it on!" look as you saw it.

More random awards for this episode!

Most improved character (from earlier episodes): Littlefinger. I'm getting the sense that TV-LF is much more of a reserved sociopath than a witty trickster. Interesting change, but it makes sense.

Best minor character: Last week this went to Jorah, this week I'll give it to Jory.

Shame we lose him next week :(

Best major character: Jon Snow. Kit's coming into his own.

Best newly introduced character: Samwell, by far. The mannerisms of TV-Sam are just how I imagined them. He even looks pretty similar to my mental image.

Hottest: Doreah (duh!)

Wanted more: Arya (she wins this every week IMO)

Most badass: I'm gonna go with Dany. The tensions between her and Vis has been built up nicely, it was good to finally see Emilia Clark lay down the law finally. Alliser Thorne in a very close second. Ghost gets an HM :D

Biggest 'meh' of the week: Hate to say it, but probably Ned. I've come to expect a lot of Sean Bean...maybe it's just because CSI: Kings Landing wasn't especially interesting to me in the books either.

Most improved character (from earlier episodes): Littlefinger. I'm getting the sense that TV-LF is much more of a reserved sociopath than a witty trickster. Interesting change, but it makes sense.

I agree with this, and also approve of it. Littlefinger seems to have lost some of his silver tongue and clever wordplay, but his deadpan voice is neither dull nor flat... it is very eerie, very emotionless and creepy and shows how phony he is. His smile does not reach his eyes and he very rarely ever blinks. He looks and sounds like a complete sociopath, which serves him well on the screen.

Jaime's got a lot more depth than in the books, but I'm not holding that against him.

I actually think I'm going to like Rory McCann as Sandor Clegane, from the few bits I've seen so far.

And Viserys did an excellent job in this episode as well.

The surprise was Sam -- very close to how I pictured him from the books, only with better acting. Good choice, casting wise.

^ I didn't quite see it like that. To me it seemed like Jon was grinning in amusement in the way the guys were avoiding hurting Sam and when Thorne rushes to grab him, the smile immediately vanishes and it seemed like Jon was at that moment slightly cautious of what Thorne was going to say or do. Not nearly a badass "bring it on!" look as you saw it.

I'm agree with you. Definitely it was much more of a "Ooops, maybe I went too far", than a "won't flinch because I'm so tough" moment.

More random awards for this episode!

Best minor character: Last week this went to Jorah, this week I'll give it to Jory.

Shame we lose him next week :(

Are you sure of that? I'm thinking it would be more likely to happen during episode 6.

I think we have already too many swordfights next week, with the Hound/Mountain showdown and the attack of the mountains clans to Cat's group

Are you sure of that? I'm thinking it would be more likely to happen during episode 6.

I think episode 5 has the whole confrontation in the street between Ned and Jaime, that happens right after Ned turns in his badge (which was shown in the episode preview). The killing of Jory/injury of Ned will probably be the cliffhanger.

I think episode 5 has the whole confrontation in the street between Ned and Jaime, that happens right after Ned turns in his badge (which was shown in the episode preview). The killing of Jory/injury of Ned will probably be the cliffhanger.

Plus, the Ned-Jaime fight is shown in the preview.

I'm agree with you. Definitely it was much more of a "Ooops, maybe I went too far", than a "won't flinch because I'm so tough" moment.

I see it as a little of both. He definitely gets a little intimidated, but he glares defiantly in Thorne's face as Thorne holds him. It's not like he meekly looks at his feet or anything.

I thought it was really well-acted, regardless. I am seriously digging Kit as Snow.

Guys, putting spoiler tags everywhere does protect the folks who don't want to be spoiled, but it likely makes for a really dull reading experience to see a bunch of discussion that's just spoiler tags. I would gently suggest that moving such a discussion to the spoilers thread might be a better idea.

Not much changed this week for me.

Tyrion and Arya continue to be the most engaging.

Eddard, Jaime, Robert, Catelyn, and Petyr are reliably good.

Jon: OK, neither brilliant nor terrible.

Sansa continues to be wooden and completely boring.

I thought both Sam and Alliser Thorne rose above their level in the books.

Jon: OK, neither brilliant nor terrible.

I think one of Kit's strongest moments in Ep. 4 was when Rast promised to slice of a slab of bacon off Lady Piggy and Jon just slowly burned. Of course, I knew what was going to do in the next scene (loved the rope-as-gag).

I love the way Sansa is played. I have the distinct feeling those who do not think Sansa is spot on have never dealt with a dramatic, "I'll die if I don't have that," or "I hate you," 13 year old girl.

The character is drawn to make us cringe at her 13-year-old naivete and that is exactly what is happening.

Archived