[BOOK SPOILERS] EP104 Discussion, Take Two

Am wondering if I'm the only person who didn't like the bathtub scene. I have no issue with sex scenes or anything like that, it's just this one was kinda meh. It felt more like an info dump than sexy or naughty, whatever.

I didn't mind it, even if it was an info-dump. It was an engaging way to get across that information about the dragon skulls, hammer in the point that dragons no longer exist, and flesh out Viserys' character even more than the books ever care to.

My only complaint with that scene was it went on a hair too long. Probably could've dropped out all the name-dropping of past dragons, considering it's not important, and likely confuses non-readers. I loved the sudden about-turn Viserys had when he believed Doreah was overstepping her bounds as a slave.

The Sansa/Mordane scene I thought was completely unnecessary though. The way they just turned it into a history lesson seemed way too forced, as if the Septa were speaking to the audience, not Sansa.

Online Forums are for nitpicking, happy people send greeting cards, flowers and chocolate.

Yes, I saw it the first time (hehe) Dragon spit has long lasting powers, strong like spiderweb!

Am wondering if I'm the only person who didn't like the bathtub scene. I have no issue with sex scenes or anything like that, it's just this one was kinda meh. It felt more like an info dump than sexy or naughty, whatever.

Well, looks like a win-win situation for me: you give info for the nerds/fans and flesh for the general population.

Some were focusing on the story and others were focusing on amazing boobs.

Its like a romantic arc in an action movie.

Is it wrong that I like Ser Alliser Thorne? He was bang on about the kids training. He's being a hard-ass for a reason. He was completely right, he's jut getting the boys ready for it.

He could explain them that before making a kid hit another that is crawling in the ground.

His reasons are noble but his method sucks.

Anyway, good actor and good acting.

I didn't mind it, even if it was an info-dump. It was an engaging way to get across that information about the dragon skulls, hammer in the point that dragons no longer exist, and flesh out Viserys' character even more than the books ever care to.

My only complaint with that scene was it went on a hair too long. Probably could've dropped out all the name-dropping of past dragons, considering it's not important, and likely confuses non-readers. I loved the sudden about-turn Viserys had when he believed Doreah was overstepping her bounds as a slave.

The Sansa/Mordane scene I thought was completely unnecessary though. The way they just turned it into a history lesson seemed way too forced, as if the Septa were speaking to the audience, not Sansa.

You could interpret it as a Septa trying to regain control over her student, or punishment. I mean, Sansa had just told her to shut up.

Also show us that Sansa "hates" her father and dont understant his reasons.

You could interpret it as a Septa trying to regain control over her student, or punishment. I mean, Sansa had just told her to shut up.

Also show us that Sansa "hates" her father and dont understant his reasons.

I found the "shut up" to Septa Mordane to be extremely jarring. I guess in the show we're not dealing with "a little bird who repeats all the pretty things her septa has taught her," but with a rather insolent teenager. It's hard to imagine Sansa of the books ever telling someone to shut up (well, okay, she would say it to Arya).

I actually really liked this scene. Someone else (forget who, sorry) pointed out that this will help make Sansa's later actions more believable given the older age of the character in the show than in the books. I would tend to agree.

I'm a hatin' that the Khal isn't on screen more, engaged in some sort of badassery. He was one of my favorite characters from the book. Even if maybe only somehow merely in the background. I think we've have very little in the way to have a better sense of that character. I mean I know what's coming, but still...

Tyrion was portrayed somewhat darker than my recollection of the books. And Jaime more favorable than I recall for that stretch of the story. However, huge props to both actors... hell to everyone who's been on screen ('cept maybe Littlefinger, to date)... for some drop dead fantastic acting.

I liked the Sansa and Septa scene. It does a good job of establishing some back history and showing us some insight into Sansa's thoughts and worries. Showing more of her distrust of her father helps sets up the scene when she goes to Ceresi as well.

I also liked that scene. I can actually feel sympathy for the Sansa character here, something I never did at this juncture in the book (surprising given that she had POV chapters). My sympathy for Book Sansa came later, towards the end of the first book, but especially in the subsequent ones. For most of AGoT I really didn't like her.

I found the "shut up" to Septa Mordane to be extremely jarring. I guess in the show we're not dealing with "a little bird who repeats all the pretty things her septa has taught her," but with a rather insolent teenager. It's hard to imagine Sansa of the books ever telling someone to shut up (well, okay, she would say it to Arya).

I don't see why Sansa can't be both. People act very differently around their families (and septa Mordane is as close as family as you get for Sansa) than they do towards others. I have no trouble believing that Sansa will be courteous to everyone like she is in the book, other than that she snapped at her septa once. The change is very minor in my eyes.

Khal will get is big moment in episode 6 is my prediction.

Agreed! The title of the episode is "A Golden Crown." Also behind the scenes clips (maybe the Dothraki language featurette?) show him doing a lot of jumping around and shouting, probably in the scene where Dany eats the horse heart. There's a shot of Drogo picking her up, and her face smeared with blood.

Edit: the episode description includes "Viserys receives his final payment for Daenerys from Drogo."

I also noticed the Harrenhal and Bracken sigils on the shields. As for the Frey guy, the only thing I can think of is he was wearing a cloak. Maybe it was on there, but WE never see his back... A few other notices on the (who-knows-what-number) re-watch: They finally got around to showing people's breath on the Wall, which makes the cold a little more believable. I like that Arya finally mentions the Kingsguard, but not that it's still not explained. The genealogy book was indeed open to the Baratheon page with the dagger (knife) sitting right on top of it. If you look when they approach Vaes Dothrak, you can see the khalasar stretching all along the road into the distance (in front of Dany and Jorah), so it IS quite a bit bigger than it seems. And a few nice moments: When Jon asks Grenn, "Are you sure you want to do this?" Grenn's matter-of-fact, "No." is priceless. And when the Kingslayer is talking to Jory. Jory: "They like their bloodshed." Jaime: "They quit liking it at the end." All in all, definitely one of my favorite episodes to date. Agree that the tub scene was too long and the tourney scene too short, but that should be remedied on Sunday.

Hi, I'm new!

I've been reading a lot of the posts on the episodes though (read all the ones on episode 4....). Just wanted to add a few things:

1. While I agree the Viserys bathtub scene went on way too long, I appreciated it in that it shows that Viserys can be charming - much like his father. Remember, he was almost described as bipolar - charming for a time, and then completely mad and psycho. Eventually the psycho portions took over more and more. Viserys to me clearly takes after his father, so it was an interesting to see his "charming" moments too - and then snap at the end. I actually wished he made the snap a little more prononciated - like, slapping her or something a little more extreme than just telling Doreah she is a stupid girl.

2. I actually did not mind that Littlefinger got the Hound's lines. I think it is a nod to what happens in the future, with Littlefinger and Sansa at the Vale. After this, I don't think they interact much at all (but my memory is fuzzy - it's been a while since I read the books), what with Littlefinger trying to appear as disinterested in Sansa as possible. If we ever do get to Season 4 - it'll be nice for nonreaders to go back to Season 1, and see that Littlefinger did take a bit of an unusual vested interest in Sansa. It's nice that while Littlefinger did answer Arya's question and didn't ignore Arya persay, it's clear his attention is all focused on Sansa.

I do think the Hound will get his due with Sansa - right now, I think they want a little Littlefinger screentime with Sansa before they never talk to each other again till Season 4 lol. I think he did an awesome job being a creeper - I loled so hard at that gif XD I totally agree with what someone said before - he was trying to impress her, and what other story could he tell. He just told her why he was called Littlefinger lol.....

I'll be honest and say I dont recall the details of the Gregor/Hugh fight from the books, but were Arya and Sansa sitting side by side in it? They must have made up from their little spat.

You'd think Arya would be underfoot somewhere else and have more fun in the 'commoners' section. In fact, I think that's how the book described it, with Sansa loving every moment of it and Arya being bored. It's all coming back to me now......

I'll be honest and say I dont recall the details of the Gregor/Hugh fight from the books, but were Arya and Sansa sitting side by side in it? They must have made up from their little spat.

You'd think Arya would be underfoot somewhere else and have more fun in the 'commoners' section. In fact, I think that's how the book described it, with Sansa loving every moment of it and Arya being bored. It's all coming back to me now......

In the book Arya doesn't attend the tournament at all. Ned brings her to the feast at end of the second day of the tournament and she's all happy because she's been training with Syrio. Sansa is in a good mood too and is polite to Arya. Ned is feeling good after his breakfast chat with the king, and is confident he can handle the Lannisters. This moment is pretty much the high point for the Starks in King's Landing. After that things start to go downhill quickly.

Archived