[BOOK SPOILERS] EP104 Discussion, Take Two

I really liked the way Sam answered Jon's question about the meaning of having the name "Snow". Sam's manner was that of being proud to know what it meant, thinking he would please Jon by being able to answer correctly.

I really liked Sam's characterisation in every scene. I do hope we get some scenes between Sam and Aemon to show that Sam actualy has a decent brain and he's not totally useless. It could wait until Season 2 I suppose, but it would be good to get to the end of this season and see that Sam does have something to offer the Watch.

Also Viserys doesn't have much time left - and right now, he is one of the only authority on dragons and the Targaryens. So the timing was necessary for that as well (and Arya's scene).

I cant wait for the crown scene. I think new viewers are going to be like WTF!!!. hahaha classic.

I really liked the way Sam answered Jon's question about the meaning of having the name "Snow". Sam's manner was that of being proud to know what it meant, thinking he would please Jon by being able to answer correctly.

Like the scene as well, but for a different reason: I really enjoyed how it echoed the "tell me what you see" from Tyrion. Even if the dwarf left the Wall, we really see his teaching there.

Hated the scene in the tub. Waste of my time. It just screamed "look this show has a lot of sex... Told you!"

So you'd prefer the series have zero sexual content at all, just to avoid that implication?

I don't think the point of scene was sexual. I thought it was more about:

1. Backstory of the dragons

2. Another reminder that Viserys is a nutjob (important to set this up clearly before his "crowning")

The sexual aspect made it a little more interesting than just seeing the two standing there talking, but I don't think it was the main thrust of the scene.

The sexual aspect made it a little more interesting than just seeing the two standing there talking, but I don't think it was the main thrust of the scene.

Plus, the sex was hardly explicit by HBO standards--or even compared to the first episode of this show.

I thought the bathtub scene did a great job of showing how mercurial Viserys can be. He went from charming to cruel in the flash of a dragon's eye. Sex was an important part of that. He wasn't going to be kind to someone like Doreah for just any reason.

Me too! "Oh, I know this one!" Sam is a classic nerd.

I'm really enjoying the show.

My nit-picks are about Sam and Hodor. Both of them shuffle and waddle around like babies instead of walking.

It was both jarring and weird. Crappy acting?

I can't believe no one else noticed!

Sam and Hodor basically are big babies.

I don't know how background is done on TV shows, but I was also thinking of the 40000 strong Dothraki horde. You couldn't hear a damn thing in the background when they show Dany stopping, and I'm sure 40000 hooves on the ground would make an awful lot of noise.

I think the idea is that the wedding party sent to fetch Dany was a significantly smaller chunk of the full Dothraki horde, not the whole thing. Which explains the sparse look of the wedding and the trek across the grassy sea (and even there they are pretty much riding single file, so the entire group wouldn't be in the same area at once, they would be spread out for miles). This makes some sense, as a king who travels to some other kingdom to get married would probably not bring every person or even every soldier in his employ along. I certainly pictured a lot more Dothraki around when reading the books, but I guess budget forced them into this scenario.

I cant wait for the crown scene. I think new viewers are going to be like WTF!!!. hahaha classic.

And they won't realize it's just the appetizer round of a three-course feast... The first time I read AGoT I had to re-read Arya's POV chapter several times to convince myself that Ned had indeed been beheaded. At first I kept saying to myself, well, she didn't actually see it happen, so maybe it didn't.

The actress who plays doreah would have made a good Shae imho.

I think they're overplaying roberts animosity to jaime a bit. In the book he seemed to value jaime more, defending him to ned.

I'm really enjoying the show.

My nit-picks are about Sam and Hodor. Both of them shuffle and waddle around like babies instead of walking.

It was both jarring and weird. Crappy acting?

I can't believe no one else noticed!

The actor who plays Sam is not quite obese enough to have a shuffling gait, but the really fat to kinda shuffle like that a bit. I did notice Sam's shuffle but didn't see it as infantile. I had no problem with the physical acting for Hodor.

Re: the ser Hugh thing. Any suggestion in the show that his death was facilitated is a red herring. Ser Hugh was incompetent and Gregor likes killing people. Mayhap the draw was fixed, but there's too much chance involved. It was no way to guarantee his death, it was just quite likely. If he was a loose end that LF needed tying then he'd leave nothing to chance. Though if LF wanted his possible death to put certain suspicions in Ned's mind, but Hugh dying was not pivotal to LF's plans then setting up the chance for his death would be an option.

I always thought Lyssa killed John Arryn. Was it at the prompting of LF? Who put out the idea of fostering Robyn to the Lannisters?

Derfel,

Of course, he also shoves Jaime to the ground and mocks him at the tourney feast. I think the representation of the relationship about right, but mileage varies. :)

Derfel,

Of course, he also shoves Jaime to the ground and mocks him at the tourney feast. I think the representation of the relationship about right, but mileage varies. :)

Well he made him Warden of the West, defended him killing the Mad King and sitting on throne, says Haime does everything he wants. But he also grabbed about winning the dagger bettng against him, laughed hard whe Jaime was defeated by the Hound and shoved him to the ground when he tried to stop him from participating in the joust. It really depends on how drunk Robert is.

Why would Jon wanna sleep with a whore??

Isn't that a little beneath him? And even if it wasn't - wouldn't he rather try to get it on with a... nonwhore-girl? Does he get a kick out of paying for it? I don't really see this guy struggling much to get any.

It seems they only made his "girlfriend" Roz, just so they could mention Roz again . which is a pretty bad reason.

Why would Jon wanna sleep with a whore??

Isn't that a little beneath him? And even if it wasn't - wouldn't he rather try to get it on with a... nonwhore-girl? Does he get a kick out of paying for it? I don't really see this guy struggling much to get any.

It seems they only made his "girlfriend" Roz, just so they could mention Roz again . which is a pretty bad reason.

I'd imagine he went to the brothel with Theon and Company: peer pressure more than anything else. Plus it establishes that Jon has a thing for redheads.

Archived