[SPOILERS] New POV Revealed

Ran

The reason I think Barristan is going to die is simple: I really wanted him as a POV, ergo, he'll die a horrible, ugly death. ;) Every silver lining comes with a cloud, in Westeros.

The reason I think Barristan is going to die is simple: I really wanted him as a POV, ergo, he'll die a horrible, ugly death. ;) Every silver lining comes with a cloud, in Westeros.

Well, then, please don't ever want to see me as a POV!

:leaving:

Adding to PDC:

I'm not sure if one dead guy is going to be enough personal cost. This whole talk about ADwD being about 'disease' strongly suggests that there will be a huge epidemic in Meereen, which will both be a greater blow to life and civilization in Slaver's Bay than Daenerys presence, and which is also going to kill off many characters - important and unimportant alike.

Where does such 'talk' come from? This is the first I'm hearing it.

I might be one of the few people who is a little disappointed with this. The biggest advantage of a Selmy POV would be his memories of the Targaryen years, but somehow I really don't think GRRM will reveal that to us. GRRM has written POV characters before who knew secret information, and we never got a taste of it.

I had really been hoping for an eastern POV character. One of the very few flaws of ASOIAF is, in my opinion, the heavy orientalism of Essos. (Not looking to start a debate about that ITT - plenty of other places for it). I was kind of hoping for a Dothraki POV, to be honest, just so that they wouldn't seem so one-dimensional and actually have individual, unique personalities. Instead...Barristan.

I'm sure he'll be entertaining though, and he's definitely better than a Jorah POV. I really hope we get some memories and cool stories from him.

Dany herself I consider to be safe. Her death would kill the story, essentially. But she might be harmed by the disease.

Wouldn't it be a really big twist if Dany ends up looking like Shireen, though? GRRM does have the thing for disfigurement in this books, so I wouldn't put it past him. OTOH, fans enamored of Dany would be truly outraged, so perhaps not.

Wouldn't it be a really big twist if Dany ends up looking like Shireen, though? GRRM does have the thing for disfigurement in this books, so I wouldn't put it past him. OTOH, fans enamored of Dany would be truly outraged, so perhaps not.

If one believes that Daenerys is the more beautiful queen to strip Cersei of everything she has, as I do, disfigurement will have to wait.

Why has no one mentioned the Dragons?

Certainly losing one dragon would be a huge loss, losing two or all three would be absolutly devastating, especially as they're like Dany's children. Removing one or all of them would significantly level the playing field when Dany arrives in Westeros.

Also one of the spoiler chapters has the dragons eating humans, could the people rise up in fear and take them down, or blame them for the disease?

Who knows, but I'm placing my money on a dragon or two being 'the loss'

Why has no one mentioned the Dragons?

Certainly losing one dragon would be a huge loss, losing two or all three would be absolutly devastating, especially as they're like Dany's children. Removing one or all of them would significantly level the playing field when Dany arrives in Westeros.

Also one of the spoiler chapters has the dragons eating humans, could the people rise up in fear and take them down, or blame them for the disease?

Who knows, but I'm placing my money on a dragon or two being 'the loss'

I think the dragons play too big a role in the battle with the Others to lose one before it begins. You're idea of "leveling the playing field" when Dany comes to Westeros requires there to be a playing field left in Westeros when she gets there. I think politics and infighting are going to keep tearing the realm apart right up until the attack by the Others, and then they will need a unifying force. Dany shows up to take back her kingdom and is put right into a war to save humanity instead.

Then she may lose a dragon, or two or three. I just don't see a plague affecting the human population being the same thing that kills off dragons.

As to Barristan being the new POV... awesome! He knew Dunk & Egg! He was knighted before Summerhall burned, he saw the entire reign of not only Aerys, but Jahearys too! I really hope he doesn't die because he is such an interesting character with so much to tell. Even if we only get a 10th of that info it will be great.

Excellent news. Between him and Melisandre, we have two fo the best supporting characters in the series getting POV chapters. Really one of the most interesting characters George could have picked for a POV.

Fantastic news! Man, both Barristan AND Melisandre will be in this book. Greatness! :D

I personally don't think he will die. I think Selmy will live on through the end of the series. If there will be any major characters dying, I do hope it's Dany.

Nice to have it confirmed. We did consider Barristan as the new POV since GRRM said it was someone 'inside' the situation (i.e. inside Meereen) and aside from Barristan the other choices seemed a bit random. Irri? Jhogo? Fat Belwas (mind you, I'd pay to read an 'Adventures of Fat Belwas' novella)? With Jorah (apparently) off the stage, Barristan seemed the most likely character.

That gives us a current POV roster of:

Prologue: Varamyr Sixskins

Daenerys Targaryen

Tyrion Lannister

Jon Snow

Bran Stark

Arya Stark

Davos Seaworth

Asha Greyjoy (aka The Wayward Bride)

Theon Greyjoy (aka Reek)

Victarion Greyjoy

Quentyn Martell (aka The Merchant's Man)

Cersei Lannister

Ser Barristan Selmy

Melisandre of Asshai

Epilogue character: unknown

Sansa, Arianne and Aeron are 100% out, as I understand it, whilst GRRM has never commented on Brienne, Jaime or Sam, so they could be in or out.

Can't say I liked the overabundance of POV characters in AFFC, hope Barristan is the last one.

I'm guessing this probably means that Barristan was the new POV he introduced to help resolve the Meereenese Knot.

That seems very plausible.

It just struck me that maybe he is needed because Dany will be away from Meereen during (at least some of) the crucial events. After all, she still has some crone-humiliating to do in Vaes Dothrak.

That seems very plausible.

It just struck me that maybe he is needed because Dany will be away from Meereen during (at least some of) the crucial events. After all, she still has some crone-humiliating to do in Vaes Dothrak.

Maybe she sends him away for some reason? To be perfectly honest Barristeen interests me way more than Dany ever could.

In aGoT we had 9 POV characters (including the prologue). In aFfC we had 13 and they seemed far too much. I hope aDwD doesn't turn out to be even worse than aFfC. With so many different POVs, would it be possible to move Jon's, Dany's and Tyrion's storylines past aFfC? Hope so.

Somehow I'm not too thrilled that Barristan'll be a POV. He resembles Ned and Davos too much (at least from what we've seen till now), so I'm not going to be interested in him as a character, only as a source of information.

And we have 3 Greyjoy POVs? *stares in horror* Why? Why not someone interesting? One of the Tyrells, for example. Every single one of them is better than Victarion. This is certainly only personal opinion, but the Greyjoys are my least favorite family in the series. I was hoping they'll get wiped out. A Sweet Robin POV sounds more interesting to me than a Greyjoy.

//end of rant

At least we'll find out {more about} what happened with Aerys and Rhaegar.

Archived