[BOOK SPOILERS] Episode 6 Preview

TheEvilKing

It's thematically important, but it's not really a lynchpin. The Red Wedding, that's a lynchpin sequence that must be shown. I love the Tower of Joy, I've already explained my own reasons for why I think the show needs something like it, but part of adaptation means making choices that would include reducing or entirely removing certain themes to focus on fewer themes in more detail.

So far, the show has largely dropped the romanticization of the past, and Romanticism in general.

Geez, for the love of... Get real!!! What is the deal with this bizarro fascination with a feverish dream/flashback passage from Ned in the book. IT IS NOT THAT IMPORTANT. And it CANNOT BE TRUSTED either due to Ned's state of mind. It is a dream, not even a proper flashback.

This has just gotten absurd. It is a poetic passage that may offer some clues, but it is certainly NOT the most important scene/passage in the book.

"Some" clues? Dude, it's the single biggest clue to R+L=J. Without it, the theory has no merit, and if R+L=J isn't true, the scene is pretty much pointless, unless it hides an even bigger and deeper meaning, and when does GRRM ever write any pointless dream sequences? Think about it: three kingsguards, the most badass ones too, guarding a tower where Lyanna is. And Ned purposefully lists all the other places where the Kingsguard should be (with their king, with their king's heir, with the pregnant queen) and they all say "no, this is here that we're meant to be". How can that not be majorly significant to the story?

If they remove it from season 1, they'll have to replace it with some other scene altogether since you need Ned to remember it, and I doubt they can come up with something better. The only acceptable possibility, IMO, is if Daenerys witnesses the scene herself in the House of the Undying Ones in season 2.

If they can show Viserys and Doreah in the bathtub than they can definitely show the Tower of Joy. If they don't that's indicative of massively skewed priorities.

This.

"Some" clues? Dude, it's the single biggest clue to R+L=J. Without it, the theory has no merit...

If they remove it from season 1, they'll have to replace it with some other scene altogether since you need Ned to remember it...

It's the single biggest clue IN THE BOOK. And yes, we don't even know if its true. That doesn't mean they can't think of some other way to hint at R+L=J. GRRM is invovled in the show afterall, he may have already worked on that with them.

And as for "only Ned can tell it" - that is also easily changed. We don't know for sure that Ned never talked about what went down there with someone. And even if he didn't in the books, he certainly could have in the show. There is still Reed. And they could easily change it so that there was another survivor.

So far in the books, that scene has ONLY hinted at the R+L=J theory - it hasn't served any other purpose. So its pretty easy to write around that for the show.

I read somewhere, probably in a review of the show, that when GRRM met with D&D to discuss making the series, he asked them about Jon's parentage and was happy with their response. I assume that means they know who Jon's parents are. Maybe they don't feel the need to delve into Jon's background this early in the series, at least not in season one when they weren't sure they would have a second season.

I'm slowly growing to hate the ToJ scene just because of its fans...

I feel you there. It's an amazing scene in the book, and no one loves it more than I do, but damn it's not the end of the world if it gets cut. In fact I don't think it works very well on TV this season. I would prefer a retelling in a later season by the only man left alive that witnessed it...

I feel you there. It's an amazing scene in the book, and no one loves it more than I do, but damn it's not the end of the world if it gets cut. In fact I don't think it works very well on TV this season. I would prefer a retelling in a later season by the only man left alive that witnessed it...

question, who is still alive from that scene, is it ser barristan or is it another one?

^^ this... that has to be one of the quickest hours of my life and looks like Episode 7's even better!

question, who is still alive from that scene, is it ser barristan or is it another one?

No, Barristan wasn't there - the three Kingsguard were killed, as were all of Ned's comrades except Howland Reed. That's why he's so important :P

So about this whole ToJ debate, check out this quote from Harry Lloyd (Viserys):

"I remember them saying at the beginning there were going to be no dreams, no flashbacks, but we have seen a couple of Bran's dreams, so I don't know,"

So if they (the creators) said at one point there were no dreams or flashbacks I'd say it is very unlikely that there will be a ToJ scene, even if they did end up including the crow dreams.

Quote is from this interview

Archived