[BOOK/SHOW SPOILERS] The Eyrie?

I didn't think the Eyrie was that terrible, but it was certainly different than what I would have done. I also had imagined it and the mountain it was on to be much taller. (I don't remember seeing any waterfalls either, shouldn't they have been visible?) Also I had always assumed it had much more rough hewn rock, so that it was difficult to tell where mountain ended and castle began. Maybe some kind of combination of this and this.

Not tall enough? If anything I think the mountain/cliff it was situated on was TOO tall - IMO. I'm not sure people really grasped the scale from that quick establishing shot.

As for not being able to tell where the rock ends, and the castle begins - only the very tip is the castle.

For me, the outside was a bit of a letdown compared to the book. Too fantastical, the rock formation it was built on looks fake.

The inside (both the throne room and the sky cells), on the other hand, surpassed the book description. Lovely, so cold, and perilous.

Not tall enough? If anything I think the mountain/cliff it was situated on was TOO tall - IMO. I'm not sure people really grasped the scale from that quick establishing shot.

As for not being able to tell where the rock ends, and the castle begins - only the very tip is the castle.

That is true that it was a pretty quick cut. I'll have to look at some more screen shots to really cement my opinion. But I never really got any kind of impression of vertigo, and I think that's the most important aspect of the Eyrie.

The interiors were also quite different from what I had pictured, but I liked them quite a bit. I am looking forward to more scenes there.

Yeah, it was a tad too fantasy. Looked like the cover of a Dragonlance book, and it certainly isn't the mountaintop fortress that it could have been. I understand most of the changes D&D are making -- either they trim things down for the purposes of plot pacing (and to condense what is a very sprawling story), or for budgetary reasons, like why the conflict between Eddard and Jaime wasn't on horseback, at night, in the rain.

But since they were going to spend the money on a CGI Eyrie anyway, why not just make it a bit more faithful?

The Eyrie is the second disappointment for me up to now in the series. The first was the casting of Robert Baratheon. Mary Addy is turning out to be quite good but I'm still not convinced. He just seems far too small to be Robert Baratheon. They should have cast a larger man for that role, I just can't imagine him crushing someone to death with a warhammer. He's 5' 10. When I was reading the books regarding Robert I did not imagine him of an average height. I imagined something completely different. It should be slanted colour-wise towards either white or blue, not greenish. I just thought it was very badly done, it's the only production or set issue I have had so far. Otherwise, the rest has been quite good.

The Eyrie is the second disappointment for me up to now in the series. The first was the casting of Robert Baratheon. Mary Addy is turning out to be quite good but I'm still not convinced. He just seems far too small to be Robert Baratheon. They should have cast a larger man for that role, I just can't imagine him crushing someone to death with a warhammer. He's 5' 10. When I was reading the books regarding Robert I did not imagine him of an average height. I imagined something completely different. It should be slanted colour-wise towards either white or blue, not greenish. I just thought it was very badly done, it's the only production or set issue I have had so far. Otherwise, the rest has been quite good.

I actually liked the coloring; I felt the green gave it sort of a general sickly feel - which reinforces Roberts frailness and Lysa's insanity.

As for Addy, yes - Robert is described as being somewhere around 6'6'; but given that we don't need to see him defeating Rhaegar or in any way fighting, his inability to be truly physically imposing isn't as necessary.

For reference, here's how I imagined the Eyrie to look like, almost down to every detail.

Linky

Agreed.

Maybe they went for a diferent portray of castles. I mean, people in Europe can see castles like that if they travel a few hundred km. Maybe that is why they went with a mediteranean aproach to KL and a castle that looks like a temple in the Eyrie.

I was a bit disapointed also, it looks like too much fantasy. I really liked the books because it didnt had much high fantasy stuff.

The Mountain is not that big either... Not to mention Ilyn Payne, who is the ridiculous.

Agreed.

Maybe they went for a diferent portray of castles. I mean, people in Europe can see castles like that if they travel a few hundred km. Maybe that is why they went with a mediteranean aproach to KL and a castle that looks like a temple in the Eyrie.

I was a bit disapointed also, it looks like too much fantasy. I really liked the books because it didnt had much high fantasy stuff.

But how isn't a big castle a day's ride up a mountain more high fantasy than the show version? For the show's version they took inspiration from Greece's Meteora, which is a complex of six monasteries (originally 20) built on just such natural rock pillars and they started building them in the 14:th century, which means medieval technology.

There's nothing like the book Eyrie in our world though.

But how isn't a big castle a day's ride up a mountain more high fantasy than the show version? For the show's version they took inspiration from Greece's Meteora, which is a complex of six monasteries (originally 20) built on just such natural rock pillars and they started building them in the 14:th century, which means medieval technology.

There's nothing like the book Eyrie in our world though.

Yeah, on a rewatch, it doesn't look as bad. I originally thought the castle was on multiple pillars (like it had legs), but now I see it's a single block. EDIT: No, it definitely has legs. That's ridiculous, IMO. Also that bridge leading to it is pure fantasy. Look at it again, Tywin's bastard, that is a pure fantasy castle.

The Greek comparison is good--the way it looks in the opening credits--a central dome surrounded by slender towers--reminds me a bit of the Hagia Sophia. Where are the towers in the show though? It looked more like a single building.

The throne room is awesome. It really is reminiscent of an eagle's nest.

The Mountain is not that big either... Not to mention Ilyn Payne, who is the ridiculous.

THe Mountain is pretty big - 7 foot is plenty big. It's about 6 inches shorter than the books say, but if you can find someone who is 7'6" AND built enough, and can act a bit and can sword fight and wants to be involved then you can complain. As it is he is considerably taller than every other actor and character so literally nothing is lost. He still looks invincible and ****ing scary. Payne is a bit off though

Archived