Capclave 2013 - Columbus Day Weekend- Washington DC

I guess just overview and if there are any events/parties/etc. that shouldn't be missed. Do you know how many items from home can we bring for signings and are all the authors listed on the site?

As a Board member you'll be able to come the Mercenary Chef's feast which is a semi-private party on Friday evening. Details to come.

There will likely be a couple of signings for George. The general rule is one or two items per pass through the line. All of the currently confirmed authors are listed on the website. There are still many outstanding invites so the list will be added to over time once confirmations come in.

The Readings track is something worth seeing, some of the authors are very entertaining. I always try to make it to Tom Doyles' readings.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone, room for 1 more?

Finally set up an account on here after spending a ton of time on the asoiaf subreddit, mainly looking for a BWB meetup group. Are new members welcome? Don't wanna intrude on an established group haha

Looks like it would be a blast, and I'd love to help out/bring anything I can!

Edit- Well, went ahead and got my membership. Woohoo student discount haha

Just let me know if there's anything I can do to contribute! I work at a deli and can whip up some mean coleslaw and potato salad to go with the pig if anyone's interested!

Hey hey, I'm moving to Maryland this summer! We won't know our schedules for some time, but I will put this Con on the calendar. My husband's parents live in the area so I'm hoping they can babysit at least for Friday night--I would love to see some familiar faces and meet some area boarders.

This will be my iourth state with the BWB. Wow.

snow "SoCal, SLC, Ohio, MD" leo

Hey hey, I'm moving to Maryland this summer! We won't know our schedules for some time, but I will put this Con on the calendar. My husband's parents live in the area so I'm hoping they can babysit at least for Friday night--I would love to see some familiar faces and meet some area boarders.

This will be my iourth state with the BWB. Wow.

snow "SoCal, SLC, Ohio, MD" leo

WOW!! It'll be excellent to see you guys again. :love:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, folks!

I've never posted before, just sort of slunk around in the corners. Slunk being a technical term. :idea:

I'm planning on attending Capclave (I got into a grad school near enough to make it possible. Woot!), and I wanted to know if I could meet up with y'all. I've got my GoT friends in Florida, and now I need to build up some pals up North! And when I say "up North", please understand that everything is North to a Floridian.

Hi, folks!

I've never posted before, just sort of slunk around in the corners. Slunk being a technical term. :idea:

I'm planning on attending Capclave (I got into a grad school near enough to make it possible. Woot!), and I wanted to know if I could meet up with y'all. I've got my GoT friends in Florida, and now I need to build up some pals up North! And when I say "up North", please understand that everything is North to a Floridian.

Posting is your first step. We have a private event for the BWB planned for Friday afternoon/evening. There will be a nice contingent of members and several of the local cadre. I'll be around, but busy running the program.

Awesome! Is there anything I could do to help? Food, booze? I'll be coming in from Jersey, but I have friends in DC whose homes could be used for cooking.

I leave the food thing to Chef, but maybe we could call for people to bring in local brew from home and do a little beer tasting. That would depend on a number of people wanting to participate.

EDIT: unless someone has the new GoT beers... those would count evben if they aren't local.

My fiancé is a cicerone (the beer equivalent of a sommelier), and we're moving up from Florida to New Jersey in August. Any requests for beers difficult to purchase outside of the sunshine state? Cigar city? Swamp head?

Are Terrapin or Sweetwater available up north? They're Georgia beers.

Do you know how many items from home can we bring for signings and are all the authors listed on the site?

Bringing books etc form home is ok for the convention signings for all the attending writers and artists. But if you haven't been to a SF con before, be aware that DisClave will have several book dealers that will offer trade, limited editions, rare and collectible items at their tables.

You'll be able to buy new and unique editions, first editions, used books, all sorts of nifty things in the dealers' room. So put a few bills aside knowing you'll find something you want, even if you never heard of it before you stopped to browse a dealers' table.

Mike Walsh, the most excellent publisher of OLD EARTH BOOKS, is working with George to produce a limited edition chapbook of one of George's early stories for the convention. Can't tell you which story yet, but it should make a nice memento of the convention.

George's standard signing practice these days is 2 books, no personalizations, no posed photos, but you can go to the back of the line and get more books signed if there's time. He'll often do a 90 minute signing early at a con, and if there's still demand, the con often can schedule a second signing later in the weekend.

Se ya there!

Bringing books etc form home is ok for the convention signings for all the attending writers and artists. But if you haven't been to a SF con before, be aware that DisClave will have several book dealers that will offer trade, limited editions, rare and collectible items at their tables.

You'll be able to buy new and unique editions, first editions, used books, all sorts of nifty things in the dealers' room. So put a few bills aside knowing you'll find something you want, even if you never heard of it before you stopped to browse a dealers' table.

Mike Walsh, the most excellent publisher of OLD EARTH BOOKS, is working with George to produce a limited edition chapbook of one of George's early stories for the convention. Can't tell you which story yet, but it should make a nice memento of the convention.

George's standard signing practice these days is 2 books, no personalizations, no posed photos, but you can go to the back of the line and get more books signed if there's time. He'll often do a 90 minute signing early at a con, and if there's still demand, the con often can schedule a second signing later in the weekend.

Se ya there!

To avoid confusion, Disclave was the former DC science fiction convention that was washed away in the late 90's. Capclave became the new DC area SF convention first held in 2001. Parris attended many Disclaves and was a member of the great cookie conspiracy.

One of the signings will be Saturday evening as part of the mass autographing we have prior to the announcement of the WSFA Small Press Award and the BSFS Maryland Amateur Writer Award. Most of the attending authors will be available to sign at that same time, a list of attending authors and participants can be found on the Capclave website.

We are very happy to be republishing the Novella and I hear the interior illustrations are going to be very good. I know the title, but I am not sure I am allowed to share at this time. The run is limited to 500 signed and numbered editions and 500 unsigned copies. Convention attendees have first dibs on these. The price has not been finalized. I'll share more once I am given the OK.

In addition to the dealers room, we also host a silent auction with all money going to the SFWA Medical Fund. In the auction there are various items and books up for grabs. We are also planning to do a book raffle with the winner recieving a stack of signed books, full list of books to come.

It should go without saying, but please don't bring any books for signing to the Mercenary Feast. If George is there he is there to enjoy the food and company not sign books or autographs.

To avoid confusion, Disclave was the former DC science fiction convention that was washed away in the late 90's. Capclave became the new DC area SF convention first held in 2001. Parris attended many Disclaves and was a member of the great cookie conspiracy.

One of the signings will be Saturday evening as part of the mass autographing we have prior to the announcement of the WSFA Small Press Award and the BSFS Maryland Amateur Writer Award. Most of the attending authors will be available to sign at that same time, a list of attending authors and participants can be found on the Capclave website.

We are very happy to be republishing the Novella and I hear the interior illustrations are going to be very good. I know the title, but I am not sure I am allowed to share at this time. The run is limited to 500 signed and numbered editions and 500 unsigned copies. Convention attendees have first dibs on these. The price has not been finalized. I'll share more once I am given the OK.

In addition to the dealers room, we also host a silent auction with all money going to the SFWA Medical Fund. In the auction there are various items and books up for grabs. We are also planning to do a book raffle with the winner recieving a stack of signed books, full list of books to come.

It should go without saying, but please don't bring any books for signing to the Mercenary Feast. If George is there he is there to enjoy the food and company not sign books or autographs.

The chapbook will be mine ;) Glad I'm bringing my husband... he can carry a few books too! And that raffle sounds amazing. Of course I wouldn't ever dream of asking anyone for an autograph unless it was a scheduled signing. I would hate for anyone to be asked to do that at a social event :(

The chapbook will be mine ;) Glad I'm bringing my husband... he can carry a few books too! And that raffle sounds amazing. Of course I wouldn't ever dream of asking anyone for an autograph unless it was a scheduled signing. I would hate for anyone to be asked to do that at a social event :(

It is actually a hardcover edition, by WSFA Press, the clubs press. We limit sales to one book per person during and prior to the convention. My wife and I have our numbered editions preordered, because I am maintaining a set with the same numbers of the books released since the relaunch of the Press in 2009.

It is actually a hardcover edition, by WSFA Press, the clubs press. We limit sales to one book per person during and prior to the convention. My wife and I have our numbered editions preordered, because I am maintaining a set with the same numbers of the books released since the relaunch of the Press in 2009.

Is there a way for me to preorder?

Archived