[No Spoilers] So I just discovered that E08 is going to be written solely by GRRM...

valacirca

Whoa, I just discovered that this episode will the only one penned solely by GRRM for Season 1. Why is that? I really don't know how to feel about it. I love his writing on paper, but I imagine it's a completely different thing to be writing for TV and he hasn't done it in almost two decades.

I wonder if the tone of this episode will be different compared to the rest of the episodes... if it will stand out or flow smoothly and cohesively with the entire series.

I'm cautiously optimistic/excited. Intrigued more than anything.

I don't expect the tone will be vastly different, as the story was broken down by D&D with him, and he would have notes about tone and things like that to make sure it meshed with prior episodes. It should be great. :)

I wonder if the tone of this episode will be different compared to the rest of the episodes... if it will stand out or flow smoothly and cohesively with the entire series.
Episode 4 was written by Bryan Cogman, who only wrote that one episode. Did that stand out for you? (It didn't for me).

Also, it's worth noting that the script Bryan handed had some alterations and additions not from him... for example he noted that the Viserys/Doreah scene wasn't written by him. George has mentioned that his first draft came back for changes because they couldn't film one of the scenes the way he had written it due to budget reasons. So yeah, despite being written by George, I am sure it was reviewed and edited and maybe even changed/added to by D&D to make sure it fit with the rest.

Whoa, I just discovered that this episode will the only one penned solely by GRRM for Season 1. Why is that? I really don't know how to feel about it. I love his writing on paper, but I imagine it's a completely different thing to be writing for TV and he hasn't done it in almost two decades.

Perhaps there is a scene in this episode that needs to contain exactly the right type of foreshadowing, not too much to spoil future plot twists and yet not so little that said plot twist comes out of left field.

Tower of Joy? I can only hope.

Perhaps there is a scene in this episode that needs to contain exactly the right type of foreshadowing, not too much to spoil future plot twists and yet not so little that said plot twist comes out of left field.

That wouldn't require George to pen a whole episode, just the jkey scene. Not even that, he'd just have to have editorial control over the key scene.

I believe it was just a matter of part of the rights agreement that George gets to hold thepen on one episode per season.

And as has been observed already there's plenty of editorial oversight of episode content/style which significantly affects how it comes out on screen. Then there's the director's influence and the editing too.

Yeah, I noticed it as well and think it's fucking badass that George himself is writing that epic episode. :)

Episode 4 was written by Bryan Cogman, who only wrote that one episode. Did that stand out for you? (It didn't for me).

Frankly, it did stand out for me, and ep 4 is my least favorite episode so far.

I cannot even describe how much I'm looking forward to the ToJ flashback/fever dream! I will be very interested to see how it is handled and I do believe it's no coincidence that Martin will probably be the one to write it for the show.

I cannot even describe how much I'm looking forward to the ToJ flashback/fever dream! I will be very interested to see how it is handled and I do believe it's no coincidence that Martin will probably be the one to write it for the show.

Don't get your hopes up bro--I doub the ToJ scene will be shown. If they were following the book it would have been shown already.

Don't get your hopes up bro--I doub the ToJ scene will be shown. If they were following the book it would have been shown already.

Huh, I thought...

Ned had the ToJ dream while in the Black Cells and he hasn't been thrown in them yet.

Besides, it would be a crime against humanity if the ToJ dream is not shown in some way :)

ToJ technically happened prior to Ned waking to find Robert and Cersei waiting over him in his bed. So yes, technically it should already have happened. And I highly doubt the scene will happen in the show. As much as I'd love to see it, it would be jarring for the non-readers, imo.

ToJ technically happened prior to Ned waking to find Robert and Cersei waiting over him in his bed. So yes, technically it should already have happened. And I highly doubt the scene will happen in the show. As much as I'd love to see it, it would be jarring for the non-readers, imo.

Yes, thanks, you're both right and my memory's worse than I thought :P Damn! I wish D&D would have included it.

Oh well, maybe we can just throw it on the pile of more possible "evidence" of R+L=J? Why would they exclude it? ;)

I'm curious, though, Balefont - why do you think it would be jarring to non-readers?

Yes, thanks, you're both right and my memory's worse than I thought :P Damn! I wish D&D would have included it.

Oh well, maybe we can just throw it on the pile of more possible "evidence" of R+L=J? Why would they exclude it? ;)

I'm curious, though, Balefont - why do you think it would be jarring to non-readers?

Below is the link to the latest discussion about the ToJ.

so HBO has yet to put up the ep info for this one, wonder how long they'll keep it hidden. The previous 7 have been up for weeks. Obv most can guess why has to do w/ how they'll end ep 7.

if you have hbogo hit info on ep 7 and there is a preview for ep 8 in there just FYI

What I find to be intriguing will be how this series will end… will it be true to the book? If so the final scenes will, I would think, be very costly to produce. Writing is one thing and easily done however transferring to the screen is a whole different kettle of fish. (Duhh… stating the obvious, obviously)

It will be interesting nonetheless…

This is probably not the right spot for that discussion -- either the Ep 10 section or a non-ep-specific forum would be better, but you were vague and I'll reply in kind. There has been an interview with people involved in that final*** scene, and yes it will be similar* to the books, and yes they've been focusing on it very intently, and no it's not actually done yet**.

* Probably very close to the same, but nothiing will be identical, so i just use 'similar' here.

** Was not done as of the time of the interview. Might be done today, might not.

*** I'm guessing it'll be the final shot, though that wasn't totally confirmed.

Archived