[TV SPOILERS] Goofs

Gods be god, did someone else take note of just they f***d up the last sequence? It's just a minor complaint, don't get me wrong - I loved that sequence! ;) But such a bad goof was not necessary... Look at how the soldiers go down - at the beginning of the fight Jory kills two Lannisters, Eddard even four. Jory and his two kills lie close together after he dies, the four victims of Ned in a long row. At the end of the scene Jory lies way ahead of his two victims (!), so that Ned is allowed to collapse between them. And Ned's line of victims became a single pile of them (!), placed 2-3 meters away of the initial locations (so that Jaime has space to ride away). SO ridiculous! :(

Well, my biggest issue was the Mountain Tribe combat scene.

Yes, it's nit-picky. I know.

However, when one of the mountain men took a swing at Lady Stark, and one of her men stepped in to block it... their swords totally slipped off one another.

If it were a real combat, the wildman would have kept on with the swing, putting a rather sizeable fissure in Catelyn's Skull. Goodbye Lady Stark.

Ah well. In general the combat feels slow and obviously choreographed rather than some of the more fluid scenes in other shows/films. I suppose I can't complain too much since they ARE actually showing the combat, instead of that "Shaky camera switching viewpoints every two seconds to focus on a bunch of torsos at very close distances and metal clangy noises/grunts so it sounds like combat, but you can't actually see any" bullshit.

As for me, if Ser Warpechowski didn't point out the dungeon bars and Arya.. that would have been something I had missed.

But in the Ned-Jaime-Fighting scene it was SO obvious to me even the first time watching.. they just lie REALLY wrong considering the first angle from above. If not the director himself.. shouldn't at least the actors remember where they were placed? :D Try to look closely the next time you watch that episode ;)

That "Renly" one was great ;) I also feel kinda disappointed with what we got from HBO for his character - Do I recall correctly.. even the actor, Gethin Anthony himself, WANTED a long black wig and no beard? Just why do it that way then?

Edit: Cat gets HIT on the head by a stone (!) in the Mountain tribe scene, which just bounces of her head like the fake it is :D (immediatly after she unties Tyrion). Priceless.

As for me, if Ser Warpechowski didn't point out the dungeon bars and Arya.. that would have been something I had missed.

For me it was the opposite. I didn't notice the body placement in the final scene. I'll have to rewatch that. But the dungeon bars, oh gods the dungeon bars! Arya could have dragged that entire dragon skull through the width of those bars. Instead she tries the lock and then scurries off through some sort of dirty drainage hole to the shore.

I think I actually facepalmed when I saw her run back from the gate on my first viewing.

Another (nit-picky to be sure) goof that someone else pointed out: when Theon "withdraws" from Roz, he is very flaccid. He goes from pounding away at her doggy style to flaccid as a wet noodle in .5 seconds.

There is a question as to whether he climaxed or not, but the sex seemed to be much too energetic for him to be floppy that soon after if he was just taking a break. And if he did climax, the transition to flaccid and chatty was far too quick.

Not that I'm asking for 30 long seconds of Theon's "O face".

I didn't give it careful repeat viewing, but during the fight with the Mountain Tribes, Bronn basically rests his sword across a guy's back gently, then it cuts to a different angle and the guy is spurting blood as Bronn disengages. I guess his sword is really sharp and he did a draw cut as he pulled back?

Wow, the picked nits sure are flying.

It's all well and good to notice and have fun pointing out such continuity errors.

But if you find yourself saying how obvious/easy it "should" have been to avoid or correct those errors... that stems of a lack of understanding what goes on on the production set.

They only have so much time and money to shoot, reshoot any scene. The priorities are to get the story, lines, and characterization right -- to get the drama (or the comedy) right. Then there are issues of lighting, camera angles, and so forth. Everyone on the set tries to preserve continuity -- actors playing dead bodies no doubt try to be in same position for each shot, prop people try to position props and redress the set to match, but if in later shots they found they needed people in a different position, they do not necessarily have the time/money to go back and re-shoot earlier shots to exactly match.

The placement of dead bodies in the Ned/Jaime scene is something you only notice by chance, because you normally will be focused on Ned and Jaime (and on Jory before he dies and becomes just another body on the set). I guarantee every movie or tv show you have seen is chock full of these kinds of continuity errors, and you have not noticed 99% of them.

About Arya & the bars: if you pay attention, the gate with the bars is *not* the way she came from. Varys & Illyrio went the way she came from, so she wanted to go a different way. She did not necessarily need or want to go through the gate, so we can suppose that the lock gave her just enough pause that she decided to go down the stairs instead. Even if she did need to get through the gate, we can imagine she was in a rather panicked state of mind, upon hearing someone talk about murdering her father -- not exactly thinking clearly. Still it looks a little odd... and I'm sure someone noticed at some point... but building/purchasing the gate probably fell the a minor props/set person, and it probably was not obvious that she couldn't slip through until they went to shoot the scene... at which point is is not time or cost effective to fix it.

About Arya & the bars: if you pay attention, the gate with the bars is *not* the way she came from. Varys & Illyrio went the way she came from, so she wanted to go a different way. She did not necessarily need or want to go through the gate, so we can suppose that the lock gave her just enough pause that she decided to go down the stairs instead. Even if she did need to get through the gate, we can imagine she was in a rather panicked state of mind, upon hearing someone talk about murdering her father -- not exactly thinking clearly. Still it looks a little odd... and I'm sure someone noticed at some point... but building/purchasing the gate probably fell the a minor props/set person, and it probably was not obvious that she couldn't slip through until they went to shoot the scene... at which point is is not time or cost effective to fix it.

Oh come on... seriously? This is Arya, who is supposed to be running around the castle trying to be nimble enough to catch cats. Why would the lock give her a moment's pause when there is a huge freaking gap between the bars she could just squeeze walk through?

I'm ok with chalking up these errors due to budget constraints, but it also demonstrates sloppiness of the production. If you have budget constraints, you have to avoid huge battle scenes, flashbacks, etc... you hope that the audience doesn't notice their absence because of the story and acting and such. You don't want the audience to notice budget constraints because of sloppy little (but glaring) prop mistakes.

Greylander, that was a well-written and -explained summary of work behind the camera. Thanks for that! Sure there were some thoughts I did not think of when writing down my "discovery". :) But, honestly, in one point I am not convinced: In my opinion there is absolutely no need to let Ned collapse between Jory and his victims (for he is fighting Jaime somewhere far off of his later place of being backstabbed) - and why couldn't Jaime just ride through a gap in the line of dead Lannister guardsmen? Does he really need 2 meters of open space left and right for it (and the guardsmen-line arranged as a pile)? Don't get me wrong, I fear that now it's really going to get nit picking, but.. the scenery is *so* extremely changed that for me there is really no excuse of lack of time, reshots etc. As you've stated, there can be much fun in accidently discovering goofs and I really don't look out for them on purpose 'cause that ruins the feeling and flow and thus being drawn into a movie/series - but this particular goof/coping with eventual production issues ruined the scene for me. (I hope I was able to explain that properly - I'm not a native speaker.. ^^)

Archived