[TV SPOILERS] Goofs

And on a related note, do you think they'll actually ever call Gregor "The Mountain THAT RIDES"?

To be fair, it's a lot more common in the books to use the shorthand "The Mountain". It would be nice to hear the full nickname once though.

All of these problems are frustrating, but I think the one of all that bothers me most is the re-characterization of Renly. I just don't understand why they thought it was a good idea. To tell the truth, even Loras's gamer attitude is not really in keeping. After Renly's death, he's supposed to be basically laid waste emotionally, and I don't think this Loras is in that place. Seems more of a user, and that's a total role reversal from the books. Robert is a warrior while Renly is a politician, but in terms of selfishness, solid unblinking machismo, and sluttiness, they are quite alike. Much as Robert might dote on a particular lady or whore, Renly has his Loras instead.

To draw another distinction and to be fair, I believe that Renly is probably more centered on Loras in particular than Robert on any of his flings, but the young pretty knight is likewise a plaything amid several.

As regards the stuff about the fight scenes, piss on that. True, Bronn didn't clean his sword (and really should have), but the bit about the rock -- it did not "bounce harmlessly away" at all. It dinged her, she barked out in pain, and it careened off at an appropriate angle for a stone that struck her so.

Likewise, the bit about the bars, while something I myself had noticed and initially snickered at ... on the second watch, it's not as if she tries that door fiercely -- she's not invested in any one exit. She runs up to the door because it's nearest, there's a lock, instinct tells her "no go", and so she turns to find an easier way out. *shrugs* What's so goofy about that?

• 9 months later...

I dislike how they handled the whole scene. The series continually tries to re-write the books. They make the Stark household look like wimps. Ned and Jory, etc should've been mounted and pulled down eventually. Nothing in the book about a spear to the back of the leg, it was caught under a falling horse. And Jory was acquitting himself handily before being overwhelmed.

I hated the King's Tower scene. Jon ignored the handle of the lantern and throws it and burns his hand. IIRC, in the books he grabs a flaming curtain and uses it whip-like to catch on to UnOthor. This scene made Jon look like an idiot who burned his hand because he was not smart enough to use a handle.

I also hated the scene where Drogo gets his wound. It makes it seem like he foolishly caused his own death. IIRC, the books have him take wound in the battle and he is missing a large chunk of his breast. The scene showed badass Drogo combat but the way he took the wound was foolish. They could have made the wound separate from his combat scene.

I hated the King's Tower scene. Jon ignored the handle of the lantern and throws it and burns his hand. IIRC, in the books he grabs a flaming curtain and uses it whip-like to catch on to UnOthor. This scene made Jon look like an idiot who burned his hand because he was not smart enough to use a handle.

I also hated the scene where Drogo gets his wound. It makes it seem like he foolishly caused his own death. IIRC, the books have him take wound in the battle and he is missing a large chunk of his breast. The scene showed badass Drogo combat but the way he took the wound was foolish. They could have made the wound separate from his combat scene.

Aye, and it seems like they tried to make it appear that Drogo gives his opponents a "first cut" like Strong Belwas did in the fighting pits of Mereen.

Also, let's talk about Bronn vs Ser Vardis of the Vale. In the book he clearly wears heavy plate armor and Bronn in contrast wears chainmail over boiled leather. In the TV version, both look about equally armored in either scale or studded leather. This was a crucial part of Bronn's cunning, by going light vs a knight in full plate. Also they dueled in a garden with a marble statue of Alyssa in the center. That's where Ser Vardis breaks his sword with a wild swing at Bronn. Nothing about a stupid trap door (that's not what the Moon Door looked like at all) and Vardis falling after the coup de grace.

Also, let's talk about Bronn vs Ser Vardis of the Vale. In the book he clearly wears heavy plate armor and Bronn in contrast wears chainmail over boiled leather. In the TV version, both look about equally armored in either scale or studded leather. This was a crucial part of Bronn's cunning, by going light vs a knight in full plate. Also they dueled in a garden with a marble statue of Alyssa in the center. That's where Ser Vardis breaks his sword with a wild swing at Bronn. Nothing about a stupid trap door (that's not what the Moon Door looked like at all) and Vardis falling after the coup de grace.

Also, (not as big of a deal) when Lysa asks Ser Vardis to "finish him" he gets a second wind and lands a good hit on Bronn and makes the fight seem not-so-close as it was before.

Archived