What are you listening... three?

valacirca

Just realized that the other thread was already locked so I went and created this to say that: Goodness gracious, Miles Davis is just out of this world. I've already heard most of his more popular releases so I went out and tried a lesser known album - Get Up With It - and it's totally blowing me away. An almost perfect funky jazz fusion album.

BTW, I also just realized that the previous thread started with a post regarding Tim Minchin and I wasn't able to reply to that so I'm putting Tim in here again because I am of the opinion that he's such a musical and comedic genius. Most musical comedy ends up a bit shite, but Tim is phenomenal. Only the most talented artists can go from total irreverence (like most of his songs) to really meaningful and touching songs such as

so do yourself a favor and immerse yourselves in Tim Minchin. Start with these:

- philosophical rant in beat poetry style

- possibly his most touching, poignant and beautiful song

- classic Tim Minchin comedy

- see this if only for his mad piano skillz

Just realized that the other thread was already locked so I went and created this to say that: Goodness gracious, Miles Davis is just out of this world. I've already heard most of his more popular releases so I went out and tried a lesser known album - Get Up With It - and it's totally blowing me away. An almost perfect funky jazz fusion album.

I'll have to check it out.

I've just picked up the Thelonius Monk Quartet with John Coltrane at Carnegie Hall. Sublime.

I'm always late to the party when it comes to popular bands but I've just started listening to Pendulum quite a bit. DnB isn't usually my thing but they've got enough cross-genre appeal and rock influences to really catch my ear, especially

and The Fountain.

See this is why we're mates Liff. Pendulum is a great (Perth!) band who tend to be a bit underrated on the Australian alternative music scene (maybe because they get pigeon-holed as DnB). I'm a big fan of

and the
(get to at least the 40 second mark in that one). I have been known to have the latter on repeat for days at a time...

So I love my music but missed all of part two and havn't read it yet so I hope I'm not going over old ground.

I'm always late to the party when it comes to popular bands but I've just started listening to Pendulum quite a bit.....

.....ABC Theme Remix.....

Love Pendulum, got the chance to see them at the BDO 4-5-6 years ago. I'd never heard of them at the time but a mate said they'd put on a good show and they sure did!! The ABC news remix is my ringtone. I do deliveries for Retravision and the customers love it. The kids cause they know what it is and the old ducks cause they think it's just the ABC news theme.

In other recent music news I've recently discoverd UNKLE. Don't know how/why it took me so long but their stuff is brilliant.

Also loving the song 'We Run The Night' by Sydney outfit 'Tonite Only'. It's been on high rotation on the J's. YouTube - Tonite Only - We Run The Night

My Random Pandora radio station is random. The last 10 songs it has played:

All My Loving The Beatles

Defying Gravity Wicked Sountrack

Brown Eyed Girl Van Morrison

Fuck You Cee Lo Green

I Can Go the Distance Hercules Soundtrack

Lux Aeterna Requiem for a Dream soundtrack

Halo Beyonce

1901 Phoenix

Ready to Start Arcade Fire

Kashmir Led Zeppelin

Right this moment I'm listening to Alison Krauss & Union Station's version on Go to Sleep Little Baby. I'm adding a bunch of songs from O Brother, Where Art Thou? to a GroveShark play list.

In other recent music news I've recently discoverd UNKLE. Don't know how/why it took me so long but their stuff is brilliant.

i just saw them live w the sydney string orchestra at the opera houes a few weeks ago :wub:

which albums are you enjoying more?

concert really affirmed for me that i am really just a (mega fan) of psyience fiction and never never land - when dj shadow was collaberating. newer stuff has the odd good song but for my tastes is too garage/grungy and not enough trip hop/beatish.

if you do ever get the chance to see them though, definately recommend, was especially awesome hearing reign with the strings :wub: whole concert was worth it, just for that one song

So I was browsing the NYT this morning and found this article about a wannabe rock band in the late 60s called The Shaggs. The story said they were an awful band, so of course, I had to check them out. Let's just say, it's the most bizarre/sad

my ears have ever encountered.

In other news, I'm listening to Edwin Moses. It's funk by way of indie-pop and Spain.

Anyone heard the two new Arcade Fire tracks yet? I particularly like the Speaking in Tongues; Might be one of my most favourite Arcade Fire songs yet.

Wow, nice. These are two really good songs. Nothing is quite going to top "Wake Up" as my favorite Arcade Fire song, but these two new tracks are among their best. Thanks.

I'm listening to this recent album by Danger Mouse (the guy behind the Grey Album, Demon Days, and Gnarls Barkley) and Danielle Luppi (an Italian composer), called Rome

And it is damn good. It's basically an homage to Ennio Morricone, very Western inspired. Also, there are tracks featuring the vocals of Jack White and Norah Jones, three each.

I'm streaming the new Efrim Menuck (Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Silver Mt. Zion) solo album right now. I hear a bit of both projects in the music. What I like most about it is that it features the return of long drones and found sounds which have been sorely lacking in the collectives most recent work.

Still hoping we get a new Godspeed album sometime in the not-too-distant future though.

I'm listening to this recent album by Danger Mouse (the guy behind the Grey Album, Demon Days, and Gnarls Barkley) and Danielle Luppi (an Italian composer), called Rome

And it is damn good. It's basically an homage to Ennio Morricone, very Western inspired. Also, there are tracks featuring the vocals of Jack White and Norah Jones, three each.

Nice. I only streamed a few tracks but it might be worth a buy. I had no clue this was even coming out, thanks for bringing my attention to it.

Listening to The Shaggs is like being force fed mescaline... :wideeyed:

This may be old news to some of you, but I recently discovered

and they're blowing my mind. Progressive Kraut Rock done by people who actually have souls. I picked a pretty one to share, but man, they get insane.

is my favorite drummer of the moment. Nothing can stop his groove.

Archived