Game of Thrones Ratings Climb

Westeros

That's outstanding. It's really looks like it's going to be the next True Blood.

Funny you should say that: checking out google trends GoT compares pretty well favorably to True Blood season 2, right now, in search volume index. It's somewhere between Season 1 and 2 if you compare US only, but the international interest is much higher for Thrones than True Blood.

Funny you should say that: checking out google trends GoT compares pretty well favorably to True Blood season 2, right now, in search volume index. It's somewhere between Season 1 and 2 if you compare US only, but the international interest is much higher for Thrones than True Blood.

Oe nice google-semi-scientific gadget.

Hehe, and look what happens if you compare it to Boardwalk empire, it's blown completely out of the water by AGOT

Fantastic news!!! :cheers:

I'd wager that nearly a million viewers gained over the course of a season will be a strong predictor for sustained success. Not to mention, no appreciable dips in total viewership at any point - a positive trend upward from episodes 1-10. Factor in high volume DVD/Blu Ray sales and this thing could last well beyond two seasons. All the well-deserved critical acclaim over the last 3-4 episodes certainly doesn't hurt matters either.

Now all we need are some Season 2 casting announcements!

The most important thing to me is the international/BBC interest. As long as half of the money to produce the show can come from international sales/markets (or more) this thing won't be going anywhere. A high-budget fantasy series that costs HBO less than Big Love? Oh yes, they'll keep that around.

The most important thing to me is the international/BBC interest. As long as half of the money to produce the show can come from international sales/markets (or more) this thing won't be going anywhere. A high-budget fantasy series that costs HBO less than Big Love? Oh yes, they'll keep that around.

Yeah, getting $25-30 million of the budget up front from overseas rights is a huge boost.

I think the Sky ratings spoke for themselves this year, despite the odd dips from week to week. GRRM has always been very popular internationally and I doubt the show will prove otherwise.

Well that got damned close to the 4 million I was hoping for. I hope across the week they crack 9 million.

I'm crossing my fingers that season 2 will have 10 million viewers per week average. There's got to be a decent swag of people who will get into the show after watching on BR/DVD... or via other means :leaving:

I agree, the international appeal of the show is a major plus for its long term prospects.

10 million is a little optimistic (I think only The Sopranos ever got those kinds of ratings), but solid and growing ratings in the 3 and 4 million level would be nice.

10m in total across the week. Currently GoT gets around 8m, with 3m watching the first showing of the last episode. We don't obviously have the total showings of E10.

The steady growth in viewer numbers irrespective of strong competition(NBA finals)clearly shows what

a ROCK SOLID fanbase AGOT has gathered, both the old readers and the new tv fans. How nice to se that

true quality will always win through. i think it was Martin himself who saidtaht if there was ever a book

that became a success by word of mouth it was ASOIAF/AGOT. the same applies to the TV series, obviously.

_ Date _ _ USA* _ UK**

17/04/11 _ 2.22 _ 743

24/04/11 _ 2.20 _ 531

01/05/11 _ 2.44 _ 506

08/05/11 _ 2.45 _ 628

15/05/11 _ 2.58 _ 522

22/05/11 _ 2.44 _ 626

29/05/11 _ 2.40 _ 527

05/06/11 _ 2.72 _ 523

12/06/11 _ 2.66 _ 507

19/06/11 _ 3.04 _ 667

* USA figures in Millions for the first airing, whether watched live or on DVR - source tvbythenumbers(.com)

** UK figures in thousands for live viewings of the first airing - source (.co.uk)

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like we have an update on cumulative views:

Game of Thrones is HBO's third-highest-rated show after True Blood and BoardwalkEmpire, says Sue Naegle, president of HBO Entertainment. With a cumulative viewership of 8.9 million per episode, "it's been a huge success," she says. (The first season ran April 17- June 19.)

• 2 months later...

Another update from 8/17: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/emmys-2011-five-big-trends-224568

But fantasy fans alone won't make Thrones win. It clearly has broken through to a cross-genre audience with 9.2 million gross viewers (including DVR, HBO on Demand and linear plays). That's only 1.5 million behind Boardwalk and 5 million behind HBO's all-time champ, The Sopranos. Not bad for a show infested with dragons.

With the good ratings and obvious growth in fandom, since the shows launch i would love to see an increase in it's budget. I would love to see the Executive producers reach out to like Spielberg or Hanks to jump on board to bring in some additional cash to make the show even better.All we keep hearing is how tight their budget is and how doing the Blackwater will kill them.I know their doing the Blackwater and they will do their best to make it big and badass but if they had some more money, imagine what it would look like.

What's a good international rating?

This varies immensely by country (small countries will have tiny ratings by US standards that could still be phenomenal by the standards of that country) and network.

In the UK, Game of Thrones has done brilliantly on Sky, a satellite network. On Sky a show needs to be bringing in about 300,000 to stay on the air, and anything over half a million is considered a success. GoT bringing in 1-1.5 million viewers per week was, by Sky standards, therefore phenomenal. If it had instead aired on BBC-1 or ITV, the main networks, 1.5m would likely have resulted in it being dropped very quickly. In that timeslot and on that day on a network, probably 3 million would have been needed to keep it going and anything over 4m considered a big success.

Point of order - it had a good time slot, but was on a Monday evening; so would have required way under 3M for a free-to-air channel.

For example Shameless, is doing pretty well, with 1.8M on a weekday.

For sky, and especially sky atlantic, and to give the figures posted on page 6 some comparison, Boardwalk Empire tended to bring in 350-450k; on the same channel as GoT, but a better time-slot (IIRC).

More to the point, Boardwalk was shown in something like 20 countries; GoT in 70odd

Archived