Game of Thrones Ratings Climb

Westeros

We get first showing and 'rewatch' (aka West Coast US viewers) numbers from Nielson. Those have been ~2.2-2.7 million and ~700-900 thousand respectively. From a PR perspective, the first showing (and a little bit the 'rewatch') seem to be the most important (how the public opinion is shaped regarding the relative strength of the program).

We later get 'full week' numbers from HBO. Those have been around ~8.1-8.4 million and include multiple showings, On Demand, and HBOGO numbers, somehow aggregated. These are likely to be the numbers HBO cares about more from a financial perspective.

We also get UK numbers, I don't know as much about those, but those are around 500-700 thousand for the first showing and ~1.3-1.7 million for the week I think?

are these numbers the amount of different hbo subscribers? what i mean is if i watch an episode 5 times throught the course of a week does that count as 1 viewing or 5? i watch the premier episode and also the follow up episode the same night so am i being counted twice? i'm just curious how many people are watching this show multiple times and if that effects the numbers.

GREAT numbers, I was expecting a drop because of this:

The Dallas Mavericks' clinching victory in the NBA Finals earned the highest preliminary television rating for a Game 6 in 11 years [...] it was the third highest rating since ABC began televising the Finals in 2003, behind last year's Game 7 (18.2) and Game 5 of the 2004 NBA Finals (15.5 for Lakers-Pistons).

(I know I watched GoT delayed so I could watch the game live; of course I'm not a Nielson family).

And that's not even accounting for the Tonys, either.

I don't think that means we're going to see a huge uptick next week, I just think it indicates how loyal Game of Thrones viewers are. The numbers are so consistent because the people that are watching it obviously plan around watching it. That kind of commitment in this day and age of DVRs, On Demand, and HBO GO seems very impressive to me.

Yeah - It will be interesting to see the finale without NBA going on.

And, I think, the folks that will tune in because Sean Bean apparently got his head lopped off - either from the "that can't be true" or "WTF?!?!?!" perspectives.

This is excellent news. Although i don't know much about rating, how they work, i think it is good news for this show. I don't know if they have hit their intended ratings figures etc but i sure do like the consistency in numbers. I hope the show ends with a large viewership of episode 10.

Cant wait until its out on DVD. Anyone know when that is? Has HBO said anything or is it way too early right now?

This is excellent news. Although i don't know much about rating, how they work, i think it is good news for this show. I don't know if they have hit their intended ratings figures etc but i sure do like the consistency in numbers. I hope the show ends with a large viewership of episode 10.

Cant wait until its out on DVD. Anyone know when that is? Has HBO said anything or is it way too early right now?

For an HBO show, it's good. Not as good as things like the Sopranos but good enough to keep it on air for now. I figure that after the DVD comes out, the audience will grow next season. Most of HBO's money though will come from the DVD sales which will be massive. Generally, HBO releases the DVD on the eve of Season 2's premier episode but I do hope they release it in time for the holiday season as it'll do the show a lot more good.

For an HBO show, it's good. Not as good as things like the Sopranos but good enough to keep it on air for now.

I should hope so...when you say "to keep it on the air" it makes it seem like it's barely skimming by and constantly being re-evaluated. I was under the impression that these weren't just good, but VERY good numbers and that HBO was kind of surprised by how well it's been doing.

I guess it begs the question - what kind of numbers will we have to see in season 2 to guarantee season 3 being ordered, and when should we expect to see THAT announcement during the course of the season? Also, what kind of numbers would warrant cancellation?

Ratings aren't the sole impetus for HBO show's success or failure. They're nice - but high-rated shows have been cancelled before.

HBO looks at the cost of the show. From that, it determines the subscribers that it will lose or win while keeping the show around. It looks at the DVD sales, which (at $100 a pop) are a huge profit. It looks at the critical acclaim; HBO wants to position itself as the best quality channel out there, and expects its shows to have massive critical acclaim and win a lot of awards.

By those metrics, the ratings are fine. The DVD sales will be more telling. The critical acclaim is incredibly positive. The buzz is quite awesome, and Ned's death will only help that. It is not an OMG amazing thing, but if the show continues with the same budget and gets the same ratings and keeps the same critical acclaim, there's no real reason to believe that it won't be renewed.

Generally, HBO releases the DVD on the eve of Season 2's premier episode but I do hope they release it in time for the holiday season as it'll do the show a lot more good.

Yeah, I was wondering about that myself. In one of the DnD interviews, they said that one of the reasons HBO was confident about such an expensive show was that fantasy fans are a proven market for dvd/blu-ray sales. It sounded like dvds/blu-rays were a large part of their plan for the show, so I wonder if they're going to market them more aggressively than they have for previous shows. A holiday season release probably would do very well.

I´ve also read that there is an enormous interest from foreign broadcasters thinking about buying the show. More than for any other HBO show, IIRC.

Game of Thrones is currently broadcast or scheduled to be broadcast on the following channels: (source: Wikipedia)

HBO (United States)

Sky Atlantic (United Kingdom and Ireland)

Canal+ (Denmark, Norway, Finland, Sweden and Spain)

HBO Central Europe (Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria, Slovenia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Moldova, Macedonia, Montenegro and Serbia)

Novacinema 1 (Greece)

OSN Series (Middle East and North Africa)

yesAction (Israel)

Orange Cinéma Séries (France)

Showcase (Australia)

Sky Cinema 1 (Italy)

TNT Serie (Germany and Austria)

HBO Brasil (Brazil)

Archived