[BOOK SPOILERS] Foreshadowing in TV Series

Vuron

We've watched 5 episodes and seen the scenes that lay the groundwork for later events/seasons, foreshadow later events, and hint at our theories. We know these events because we've read the books and they are easy to catch.

I just finished watching this week's episode for the 4th time and something finally registered. There are 2 added scenes that weren't in the books that have a common topic and I'm wondering if we should be paying more attention to these added scenes.

I'm too lazy for exact quotes so I will summarize.

Cercei/Joffrey - Joffrey wants to consolidate the army under the crown because he thinks its stupid for each lord to have their own armies. He wants to create one standing army with trained soldiers.

Cercei/Robert from Episode 5 - Robert talking about 5 vs 1. He goes on and on about a single army under a single leader is more powerful than many individual armies. He, also, comments on the stupid lords having their own armies.

Coincidence? Maybe. My question stands either way... Will the producers be laying the groundwork or foreshadowing events that we haven't read about? If not this season, when?

I took Robert's quote as a foreshadowing for Dany's eventual (if we ever get around to it happening ;) ) return to Westeros with a unified army while the War of Five Kings has left the Seven Kingdoms fractured and ripe for the picking. Which I believe is the purpose of those who may be manipulating events in the Seven Kingdoms to pave the way for the return of the Targs.

I think it's mostly just filler to flesh out characters that didn't have POV chapters in the first book. Other things that have been added: a lot more parallels drawn between Robert and Aerys, a lot more speak of Targaryen rebels in Westeros. There's definitely a case to be said that we might see some new action, but given the plethora of other new scenes that have been added purely for the purpose of exposition and secret-ruining (Viserys and Doreah, Renly and Loras, Varys's little birds, Theon, etc.), I'd sooner chalk it up to character development.

And for the record, I thought the Cersei/Robert scene was an excellent addition, regardless of how it ties into the possibility of a national army.

Archived